Can St Kilda beat Carlton on Monday?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ajer
Club Player

Can St Kilda beat Carlton on Monday?

Actually had a think about this myself. I doubt we can beat Carlton because they are a team who move the ball fast and have a guy like Chris Judd who dominates the clearances. We are kinda the opposite in the fact we are slow and move the ball slowly and have no one who can dominate the clearances now that Lenny is injured.

But I think we have the team on paper who can win, however Lyon has included duds like Kosi and Peake so it will be tough, but if we can keep guys like Garlett, Betts and Carazzo quiet we are a big sniff.

I actually had a dream a couple of nights ago where we were celebrating a big win against the Blues which got our season back on track, but Steve Silvagni was in that dream, so it kinda got me confused if it was the 2001 Carlton side or if it was the 2011 Carlton side? Silvagni has obviously since retired (in 2002) so it was obviously a dream which didnt make sense. Not sure what the dream meant, but im sure its a positive St Kilda dream.

Anyway, I think St Kilda are definitely a big chance in this game and if i were a betting man (which im not, but sometimes am) id be backing us here. Im interested in other peoples toughts?

Beekay
SS Life Member

Blues will win by around 10 goals.

:lol: 8-) :? :shock: :( :( :( :cry: :oops: :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Conolloy in The Age has tipped us.

Must have been worded up by our PR team to counter dickwad Nixon.

Blues by 40 points if we play well.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

nup

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Massive ask to beat Carlton.

As mentioned, Judd is simply incredible. He's like our entire midfield in one player.

Marc murphy is also a very smart, intelligent midfielder, uses the ball brilliantly.

Kade Simpson gives fantastic run out of the back line.

Yes, they move the ball quickly which expose us badly if we dare to play tempo football. Carlton will be merciless against us.

Carlton beat us by 61 points last year at etihad.

I think we will all be mightily annoyed if the saints walk out again with another "I'm sad and Mopey because we lost two grand finals" effort.

It's getting beyond a joke now. Start playing serious footy!

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sure they beat us by 10 goals last year, but lets not forget that is was the first time in 10 years. They were absolutely on fire and everything went their way.
Judd is amazing and carries the blues single-handed, but generally he doesn't play as well against us compared to other sides.
If we can move the ball well from the start of the match, we'll win, if we start like last week again - no chance.
Ratten is right up there with Voss & Primus in my opinion, terrible.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The scores will be even at the first bounce. If we kick more points than them after that, we will win. At the moment, the odds are about $1.45 the Blues and $2.85 the Saints, that is, the Blues are rated about a 70% chance of winning. Seems about right.

Despite the fact that we won twelve straight against them from 2002 to 2009 (inclusive), we have our worst success rate against the Blues, with them winning 78% of the time. So from one point of view, we can be optimistic.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

We should lose this comfortably.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:We should lose this comfortably.
How the wheel turns..........they were our bitch for about 10 years

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

We will lose i have tipped against us,

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Baker is the kryptonite to Judd's superman. Throw in Jones and some assistance from the others and it will be interesting to see how the Juddster goes. He's rarely dominated games against us in the past. They're nowhere near as good as they think they are and their current third position on the ladder is a mirage. They've come up short twice against the best opposition. What an opportunity for us to come good. Playing against good/ordinary opposition in a must win scenario and on our home dirt. It's only our second outing for the year at our "fortress". Let's restore the balance and true order of things. Saints comfortably.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Mates who are filth followers reckon we will do Carlton..I tend to agree- the cloud will lift on Monday night

baf
Club Player

we will win if we play a forward line simple as that

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still convinced the boys have allowed themselves to be talked into a form slump that wasn't really there.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What I saw at training on Thursday says to me we'll win. The most enthusiastic up beat training I've seen in over a year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'm just hoping we can at least throw out a challenge to them for 4 quarters.

gosh, if they want to start turning this season around, there'd be no better time than on monday.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saints43
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:What I saw at training on Thursday says to me we'll win. The most enthusiastic up beat training I've seen in over a year.
That's fantastic to read.
We aren't terrible imo.
The players are working hard - and never squibbing - which is the most important thing. Good players who work hard find form. And we have heaps of good players.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:What I saw at training on Thursday says to me we'll win. The most enthusiastic up beat training I've seen in over a year.
We aren't terrible imo.
The players are working hard - and never squibbing - which is the most important thing. Good players who work hard find form. And we have heaps of good players.
so many not working hard???? then

saint4life
Furphy
Club Player

Hard to see us beating Carlton, but it will be a test of whether or not our coach is a "one-trick pony" or a footy mastermind. A lot on the line tonight.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Conolloy in The Age has tipped us.

You really do thrive in misery, you know.

Any chance to have a neg-laced whinge and you leap over it like I wish our mids would a contested ball...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
We aren't terrible imo.
Yes. Reports from training suggest a bit of an 'enough's enough' headspace.

There were signs of this in the second half at AAMI last week.

If we carry it through, we'll go okay. Blues are a good side playing well, but not too far removed from the one we've owned in recent times.

Never know. Have a four qr dip and we may be on the up again.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:Hard to see us beating Carlton, but it will be a test of whether or not our coach is a "one-trick pony" or a footy mastermind. A lot on the line tonight.
In the context of premiership contention for 2011, I'm not sure there is a lot on the line tonight for us.

Even if we do win tonight it should be enjoyed but hopefully the younger guys showed some improvement. If we lose then hopefully the young guys showed some impovement.

Bring on 2012

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Absolutely we CAN win! Whether we have the side to go all the way for a third straight year is a matter of some conjecture, but YES! damn straight we can win! GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
dragit
Saintsational Legend

saints by 5 goals…

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Conolloy in The Age has tipped us.

You really do thrive in misery, you know.

Any chance to have a neg-laced whinge and you leap over it like I wish our mids would a contested ball...
If they did do that I'd be happy!

Sorry if I'm the voice of realism.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.