A good old fashioner rant

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

A good old fashioner rant

This post will probably not win me too many friends, but to hell with it, I need to get this off my chest. Later on this year I will be 48 years old.

I was born in 1963 and was too young to remember the 1966 Grand Final win. I was born to a family of Saints supporters and grew up in Caleb Street, East Bentleigh. When there was a home game at Moorabbin, most of the street barracked for the Saints and we would all walk to the ground and stand at the Gilbeys Gin end of the ground.

I remember the late 70’s and the 80’s when we did not have a lot of success. I remember the likes of Trevor Barker, Jeff Sarau, Garry Colling, Greg Burns, Geoff Cunningham, Robbie Muir and too many more to name. All tough players - I am sure teams hated playing the Saints.

Fast forward to 2011 and like many others I am a very unhappy Saints supporter. To not have tasted success in the last few years is a bitter pill to swallow. To have burnt players like Harvey, Lowe, Winmar, Burke and now Lenny Hayes without winning the ultimate prize is a tragedy. I am bloody sure our current bunch of princesses will not deliver us a premiership.

What makes it all the worse is to look at the performance of our players and so-called stars this year, just makes me want to cry.

There is all this talk about not being able to climb Mt Everest again, mental fatigue, a fractured team with too many off field discretions; situations that our highly paid players should never have allowed themselves to get in; the siege mentality used as an excuse. The outward appearance of not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions, but still willing to take the money for a very highly paid position that could only tenuously be described as a job.

Not once have I seen an act of contrition or an apology to the supporters who stick with them through thick and thin, pay their money. Sure, to come so close to winning is gutting for the players but I think they should spare a thought for the supporters. To have had to wait 45 years for a premiership is a disgrace and the Club and the players should publicly acknowledge this fact. I, like many others are sick to death or waiting, but to look at the crap that has been dished up so far this year both off the field and on just makes it worse.

I don’t know whether or not any of the players or the club read this site, but I hope they do and I hope they get the message loud and clear. We want a premiership sooner rather than later. I don’t know the answer. I cannot provide the solution. That’s what the Club, the Coach and Coaching staff and players are paid handsomely to do. I am sick of the excuses and sick to death of watching a petulant non committed bunch of princesses. At least look like you are having a go. And if you can’t, well step aside and give some of the kids a go and bugger off to another Club and take their money.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

It may not look like it at times, but I'm pretty sure the players want success as well.

Players have been known to changes clubs in search of an elusive flag. A premiership means everything to them.

Like everyone else on this forum I have no idea what goes on inside the club, or what goes on inside the players heads. But I do know that there's 16 other clubs out there busting a gut and it's just bloody hard to get to the top. And it's not like we've got the best list in the competition - we clearly don't. To almost win those flags in 2009 and 2010 was a magnificent effort, albeit disappointing.

Tell me I'm wearing rose coloured glasses; I don't care. I reckon they are trying their best to work their way back into form and I'll continue to support them.

And don't worry, I've had a few more years of disappointment than you have.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I have no issue with criticising the club, actions of the coach/players/management this is a bit self righteous IMO

other than the NZ incident, I think we behaviorally the club has actually been ok. they've done very little wrong.
they do however need some better PR

I've not heard anyone from the club say that we're not coping psychologically. IMO our problems are due more to poor coaching and poor selection at the moment.
(That's not to say that I want the coach sacked)

I also don't see why the coaches/players should apologise to us the supporters. They're trying their best and are still battling away.
I think a public apology is the equivalent of sending up the white flag.

Honestly I think your post is more emotional than logical

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

There are now 17 clubs giving there all to win a flag(next year 18),and some with a huge advantage over us. It's not as if we're not trying. We're all frustrated...but giving the players the hurry up about winning a flag won't happen,considering we've won one in 116 years. We are now going downhill,you're going to have to wait a few years at best for our next challenge

I am 31,if I see one before I'm 50 I'll consider myself very lucky in the scheme of things. It is very realistic I'll never see one given our track record...quite amazing really.

Bring back the Lockett era
happy feet
Club Player

Emotional

Your bloody right. It is emotional and it was supposed to be. I don't give a stuff if it is. Passion and emotion do have a place in sport.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Emotional

happy feet wrote:Your bloody right. It is emotional and it was supposed to be. I don't give a stuff if it is. Passion and emotion do have a place in sport.
they do

logic has a place in sport as well

your observations and demands aren't rational

quidnunc
Club Player

The author of the post is passionate and I would say frustrated that he thinks off-field events have robbed him/her of seeing their side have another red hot go at the holy grail.

I fortunately was there in '66 and now wish nothing more than to see my two adult sons witness a Saints premiership. Something he/she also desires.

Posters - don't be too harsh - the author wants nothing more than all of us and sometimes the need to vent the spleen has to be exercised!

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:The author of the post is passionate and I would say frustrated that he thinks off-field events have robbed him/her of seeing their side have another red hot go at the holy grail.

I fortunately was there in '66 and now wish nothing more than to see my two adult sons witness a Saints premiership. Something he/she also desires.

Posters - don't be too harsh - the author wants nothing more than all of us and sometimes the need to vent the spleen has to be exercised!
I have no beef with the poster; everyone's entitled to their view.

As per my own post, I just see things differently.

St Lenny
Club Player

You are not the only one that fits that age bracket, but seriously, cry me a river. Do we really need a new thread to hear the same old thing again. :roll:

Saints43
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:You are not the only one that fits that age bracket, but seriously, cry me a river. Do we really need a new thread to hear the same old thing again. :roll:
I'm 40. My brother is 51. And I totally understand the op. I honestly think about dying without seeing a premiership fairly regularly. When you consider how much time we have spent watching St Kilda it's pretty depressing.

I'm crying a river. Not the Nile, but probably the Murrumbidgee.

Finna
Club Player

That OP has to be one of the most narcissistic posts I've ever read.

Wake Up - It's not about You!

Some people on here should really think about finding a good hobby.

:shock:

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Saints43
Club Player

Finna wrote:That OP has to be one of the most narcissistic posts I've ever read.

So who is following St Kilda about? Josh Kitchen?
Finna wrote:Some people on here should really think about finding a good hobby.

Following St Kilda is my hobby. Oh, you said good hobby...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:That OP has to be one of the most narcissistic posts I've ever read.

Agreed a ridiculous post. Wants some sort of apology for what, not winning a GF or for struggling this year. Sorry but we are owed nothing from the players apart from them trying their best every week and as far as I am concerned they are doing it. I dont think there is a rule that says you must win a GF every 16 years or whatever time frame you want to put on it.

Finna
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Agreed a ridiculous post. Wants some sort of apology for what, not winning a GF or for struggling this year. Sorry but we are owed nothing from the players apart from them trying their best every week and as far as I am concerned they are doing it. I dont think there is a rule that says you must win a GF every 16 years or whatever time frame you want to put on it.
The apology is the most amusing part for me. Can you imagine Ross and Nick calling a press conference to say 'Sorry'?

Maybe Kevin Rudd could be a special guest :?

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It's just a game. Get over it.
We all want a premiership, but in the end it's just a game.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well said happy feet.

I like the word princesses.

Sums them up at the moment, but may change soon if they wake up to themselves and remember what they are capable of doing.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Well said happy feet.

Sums them up at the moment, but may change soon if they wake up to themselves and remember what they are capable of doing.
So you think they should apologize? Can I ask what for?

Finna
Club Player

Why do you like the word princesses?

You're doing a cracking job ATM aren't you.

If only they were really HARD like you, not princesses.........

We may have won a flag with 22 like you SP....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I didn't say apologize. Nixon and Duthie need to do that.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I didn't say apologize. Nixon and Duthie need to do that.
I thought you said well said Happy Feet and it seems he wants an apology.

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I thought you said well said Happy Feet and it seems he wants an apology.
Worst attempted sentence ever.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I thought you said well said Happy Feet and it seems he wants an apology.
Thanks Oxford.

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Thanks Oxford.
Thanks <comma> Oxford.

Thanks, Oxford.

No worries.

happy feet
Club Player

I think we all expected better. Would you have preferred to have all the off field incidents or not. You are simply wrong if you think they have had no effect.

So state your case Plugger66 - Did you want the off field incidents or not? you seem to think they have made no difference.