Hate to say this but- Steven Baker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Hate to say this but- Steven Baker

One of my favourites, Steven Baker, is just about past his use by date. Some shocking errors last night and yes he wasnt on his own but it may be nearly time to look for another small backman. Also the inspector must be close to pulling up stumps as well. Never stops trying but was smashed last night.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Further to this;

Can Simpkin replace Blakey? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Further to this;

The problem with Simpkin and probably most of our backline is they are non possesion winners and lack run. Simpkin could proabably play similar to Blake but it wouldnt dd anything apart from being younger. Id try Reg Varney.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Fairly seemlessly, I imagine. I would also have much rather had Lynch than Blake last night (except for when Blake was in the ruck for short periods, which would have to be all that's keeping him in the side).
Lynch reads the play really well, takes lots of marks and hits targets on a very regular basis. Whatever penance he has to serve, I sincerely hope it's over ASAP.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 10 May 2011 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Agree and agree...

As for Simpkin, its against popular opinion on this forum, but in what Ive seen of him (2 Sandy live, 2 on ABC), and the little of last year, I think he is a very good, honest VFL player, and that is all...

I dont think he has the tools to step up to the AFL... The attitude and bravery, yes, the skills and general smarts are not there IMO...

Not sure who to replace Bakes with as that small defender, but P66, you're right with that call...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The problem with Simpkin and probably most of our backline is they are non possesion winners and lack run. Simpkin could proabably play similar to Blake but it wouldnt dd anything apart from being younger. Id try Reg Varney.
Not Olive? :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Yup, our weakest links were pretty obvious last night.

Big hearted warriors some of them no doubt are, but if they're not flag-team material, then it's time to exit them out.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hate to say this but

plugger66 wrote:One of my favourites, Steven Baker, is just about past his use by date. Some shocking errors last night and yes he wasnt on his own but it may be nearly time to look for another small backman. Also the inspector must be close to pulling up stumps as well. Never stops trying but was smashed last night.
100% with you both are done.
Very unfortunate, the end comes quick for some....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Sad that he missed basically a whole season through ridiculous suspensions - the farmer one (a sheppard with his back turned), paved the way for an insane sentence for the johnson one.

He's not quite done yet, so let's enjoy a bit more of his nuggety best…

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Hate to say this but you simply don't replace a player like Bakes.

You just hope to find a similar player that has their own brand of magic.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Had a very good career, but now its time for him to step away and thank him for the past 10 or so years he has given us.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

a very important player for us over the year as we blood the young guys.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Sad that he missed basically a whole season through ridiculous suspensions - the farmer one (a sheppard with his back turned), paved the way for an insane sentence for the johnson one.

…

nah...i used to think that...but he told a relative of mine that if anyone had seen what he really did to farmer...who he hated....he would have been rubbed out for life......i don't know why he played on into this year...was not his original intention...maybe the fire still burnt for that elusive flag....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The tendency thus far in terms of kids has been to play them forward of the ball and leave the defensive as a port of solidarity.

Hence Gamble, Peake, McQualter and Blake (in the ruck/forward role) have been dropped, whereas Bakes, Blake (as a defender), Raph and Dempster are getting more chances.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Yep time to get rid of our Bakes.

Shame but good call.

It's rebuild time.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Baker to the middle- let's get some aggression back at the ball ups..too many outside runners waiting for easy kicks and not prepared to put head over the ball to win a contest, and boy was that obvious last night.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It's such a shame. He's been a terrific servant for the club. One of my favourite players. What a great tagger he was for his time. His crucifixion by the MRP didn't exactly help his cause last year and in 07(?) when accidently ran into Jeff Farmer.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yep, 2007 Round 20.

He then got injured in his second game back and missed all the rest of 2008 too.

Jason is very much a confidence player. Both should play out the season unless someone presses really hard for selection with great form at Sandy(we wish).

BakesFan
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:Sad that he missed basically a whole season through ridiculous suspensions - the farmer one (a sheppard with his back turned), paved the way for an insane sentence for the johnson one.

…

nah...i used to think that...but he told a relative of mine that if anyone had seen what he really did to farmer...who he hated....he would have been rubbed out for life......i don't know why he played on into this year...was not his original intention...maybe the fire still burnt for that elusive flag....
Stinger, he told me exactly the same thing...
..that if anyone had seen what he really did to Farmer; he would have been rubbed out for life.........but I wasn't going to mention it until after Bakes retired.

Pretty sure Bakes knows this is his last Season... but who do you replace him with?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bakes isn't done yet, and Simpkin despite being written off before getting to play is more a key position back. Walsh and simpkin are future backline keys. Lynch is the obvious replacement for bakes or Al Smith if a tagging type tight checking back. I think Lynch is probably seen as a Shaw type rebound runner.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Bakes isn't done yet, and Simpkin despite being written off before getting to play is more a key position back. Walsh and simpkin are future backline keys. Lynch is the obvious replacement for bakes or Al Smith if a tagging type tight checking back. I think Lynch is probably seen as a Shaw type rebound runner.
I think Simpkin is being looked at for Blake not Baker. Also I am sorry but Lynch is nothing like a Shaw type player.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think the man that can do the Baker role is Geary - all he needs at the moment is a good leg.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
stinger wrote:

…

Stinger, he told me exactly the same thing...
..that if anyone had seen what he really did to Farmer; he would have been rubbed out for life.........but I wasn't going to mention it until after Bakes retired.

Pretty sure Bakes knows this is his last Season... but who do you replace him with?
Was a good head butt but....

Bring back the Lockett era
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The game passed Bakes by two years ago. We tend to hang on too long. He shouldn't have even been considered for last years finals.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:The game passed Bakes by two years ago. We tend to hang on too long. He shouldn't have even been considered for last years finals.
I could of sworn you were pushing for his collecting of his premiership medallion last year.