Anyone know if or when when Gardi will be back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know if or when when Gardi will be back?

Even though Kosi and Ben both did well last night, we still seem to be getting beaten around the stoppages. I know that's mainly because Lenny isn't there, but Ben still has a long way to go in terms of his ruckwork (very good around the ground) and Kosi is still underdone and not a natural ruckman anyway. We miss the physical presence and attack on the ball of Gardiner. His loss has been almost as keenly felt as that of Lenny.

Has anyone heard how he's traveling, or if he is even going to make it back at all? Big loss if he's gone, but if he is it presents another chance for Stanley, or even Archer. If he is gone, we are just going to have to accept we're going to struggle around the stoppages, something that would frustrate RL no end. Time to rejig things in this area, or do we persist with big Ben's backups being (nice alliteration there) one of Kosi, Rhys or Archer?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

This thread may help to answer that question:
http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... 49&start=0

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Thanks APS. Bugger! Doesn't sound good from reading that thread. Anyone got a more optimistic update?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I like not this news, bring me some other news (BlackAdder)

Nee!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The way I Dave Misson's videp report on the club website today is that he won't be back unless we look like we might actually be playing finals, which doesn't appear to be the case. No way he'll play an AFL game until AT LEAST Round 15, and he might well have played his last.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:The way I Dave Misson's videp report on the club website today is that he won't be back unless we look like we might actually be playing finals, which doesn't appear to be the case. No way he'll play an AFL game until AT LEAST Round 15, and he might well have played his last.
I didnt get that view.

hes running again, will need at least 3-4 weeks and if no further set backs will be availabel from then?

“Yeah….nah””
StNoodles
Club Player

On jb and bill's triple mmm radio show, lenny said gards was a couple of weeks behind schedule and could be back in the mix by round 10.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/season2011/inj ... fault.aspx

Michael Gardiner Knee (long term injury) "Had his best week of training for a couple of months."

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone seen him anywhere, even at a game?

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Specifically, Misson said he's about 2 or 3 weeks away from full training, then it's a question of how much training they want him to do, then reintroduction through the VFL.

So realistically you would say about a round 16 - 18 return if things continue to go well.

If the Saints are going to snatch a finals berth they'll have to do it without him for the most part.

In other news, Winmar hasn't suffered any ill effects from Bartram's tackle, and Ferguson and Johnson have both recovered from their shoulder injuries and will be available to play in the VFL.

No news on Lynch, and he's not on the injury list, so presumably he's good to go as well.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bigred
Saintsational Legend

M. Gardiner: 2 weeks.

Someone had to do it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Has anyone seen him anywhere, even at a game?
I'm posting from the iPhone so it's a bit hard to search through all the threads.

But I seem to recall someone posting that they were talking to him at the game on Saturday. You may have better luck finding it dcstkfc :)

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
I'm posting from the iPhone so it's a bit hard to search through all the threads.

But I seem to recall someone posting that they were talking to him at the game on Saturday. You may have better luck finding it dcstkfc :)
He was in the crest room Saturday.

or ask Dave
http://www.youtube.com/officialsaintstv ... ciruP6C_Qo

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Yep, when we ran into Gardi on Saturday I asked how he was going and when he'd be back. Gardi said he felt great and would be back in a couple of weeks, whatever that means !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Farren Ray on 6PR (Perth) tonight said that every time he asks Gardy how he is goiing, he is told "a coup[le of weeks" and then said "whatever that means."

He then indicated that it may be around another 4 - but if so, is that for a Sandy game, or for the Saints. :?:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Farren Ray on 6PR (Perth) tonight said that every time he asks Gardy how he is goiing, he is told "a coup[le of weeks" and then said "whatever that means."

He then indicated that it may be around another 4 - but if so, is that for a Sandy game, or for the Saints. :?:
Given his operation, the setback and his time away from the game, I think we can only speculate on his return to Sandy at this stage.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, I also think so Doc. It seems to me that they were looking for him to play a few games later in the year and then perhaps the finals (if we make it).

However, with the current disastrous ruck situation, they may be forced to bring him back a lot earlier. Sadly, only a few good games left in the old gardy. :(

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Pot luck for mine. I have no confidence he will ever play for St Kilda again. The best way for the club to maximise his chances of doing so are to keep winning and give him an incentive to keep working hard in his frustrating battle.

Bloody hope he does though, he deserves it more than most:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Pot luck for mine. I have no confidence he will ever play for St Kilda again. The best way for the club to maximise his chances of doing so are to keep winning and give him an incentive to keep working hard in his frustrating battle.

Bloody hope he does though, he deserves it more than most:

Most people seem to accept that this will be Gardi's last year.

BUT, if the operation ends up being a success and it all comes down to time beating him in 2011, he may just decide to saddle up again. And if he feels great and is keen to do so, I can't see the Saints knocking him back considering how our ruck stocks have looked this year.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I absolutely love Gardi as a player, and deep down I want him to give this year a rest, get his body right, and give it one more shot next year...

This season is pretty much a write off as it is, and he has missed a whole season before and come back strongly the following, so it is not entirely out of the question...

But at his galloping, agressive best, he is a great player to watch... That Geelong game at the done, rnd 14 2009, still gives me goosebumps...

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I am a huge Gari fan, I'd love to see him play 100 games for us, but I don't think it will happen.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
BelfastSaint
Club Player

I saw him running laps on a Saturday morning at Seaford about 6 weeks ago.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would say that if in a few weeks, if we have no likelyhood of making the eight this year, then Gardy will retire, but if we do scrape into the eight however, I reckon he may play on..if fit enough.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I would say that if in a few weeks, if we have no likelyhood of making the eight this year, then Gardy will retire, but if we do scrape into the eight however, I reckon he may play on..if fit enough.
I think the original plan was probably to reload and give it one last chance this year to get that elusive flag. That of course now appears beyond the team, let alone Gardi.

However, if the end result of his operation is that he is feeling better than he has for some time it’s not out of the question that he may consider going around again in 2012. And if he starts thinking that way I reckon the Saints would be all for it.

Anyway, it’s all pure speculation at the moment.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

hope all goes well and he is able to play next year - if we are to give it a crack in 2012 he is vital!
simply cannot see us being competitive without a decent ruck, even with lenny back. and i don't see mcevoy stepping up, not next year, and probably not ever.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "