Greg Are You there?....Sign Lyon NOW..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Greg Are You there?....Sign Lyon NOW..

Just heard Grant Thomas plead "for once in their life" for the St Kilda FC to stick fat and stay the course with their coach. Im no Grant fan but I applaud him this time.

Greg Westaway doesnt ike to talk. Greg's invisible - thats fine. BUT we are in a massive hole, we will have the media jungle drums out soon re the coach so my fix is come out now and extend Ross Lyon and shut them all up.

The guy can coach. We will be ok. Do something un-St Kilda and show loyalty.

Lets hear ya greg.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Are You there?....Sign Lyon NOW..

Teflon wrote:Just heard Grant Thomas plead "for once in their life" for the St Kilda FC to stick fat and stay the course with their coach. Im no Grant fan but I applaud him this time.

Greg Westaway doesnt ike to talk. Greg's invisible - thats fine. BUT we are in a massive hole, we will have the media jungle drums out soon re the coach so my fix is come out now and extend Ross Lyon and shut them all up.

Lets hear ya greg.
+1

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep, include me on this one Tef.

Edit, and in news just in...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 6057081760

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

But Lyon was emphatic it would be the Saints and not him to determine that decision.

"You're talking to the monkey. Go and talk to the organ grinder and the organ grinder being the CEO and the board," Lyons said.

"I won't be determining how long I am at the St Kilda Football Club, the organ grinders will.

"Quite simply I am contracted until the end of 2012 and I'm fully committed to fulfilling that contract."

Lyon said after Sunday's loss to Hawthorn he was "really in for the long haul".

Asked last night if the "long haul" included rebuilding his team beyond 2012, Lyon said: "It's a hypothetical ... it's irrelevant."

He added: "I won't be determining my future at the club. I can't be any more clear.

"Coaches don't determine their contract, boards and CEOs (do)."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Yep, include me on this one Tef.

Edit, and in news just in...

Pretty clear - Ross is saying "its up to the club"

Seriously, the guy hasnt had a chance to fully build this side yet - back him in. Whack another 2 years on to his current deal and shut the nay sayers up.

“Yeah….nah””
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Absolutely agree with the consensus. Time to say, "well, we had a crack, didn't make it, the past is now in the past, so let's look to the future and build for the future now," and the best way to do that, to maintain the strong foundations of a good and successful club, is to display the solidarity now by extending Ross's contract by, I'd say 2 years is a good number.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Look, I reckon Lyon is the right man for the job, BUT what's the rush to sign him up now? The team is in a hole, let's see him work his way out of this hole. Not as if half the league will be banging down his door this year and he will be lured somewhere else. He has a contract. Fulfil that contract and let's see where are in 18 months time.

I reckon signing him up now smacks of panicking. It's as bizarre as sacking him now. No need to panic, give him a chance to work through whatever issues are confronting the list. He has 18 months to do this. He doesn't have to deliver us a flag in 18 months time, just show us that things are on the mend and there is genuine hope for our footy club. Another 18 months of what we have witnessed in the 1st 8 rds (particulalrly last round) and I'd say he is gone, and rightly so. Last thing this club needs is another contract that doesn't get fulfilled, ie Hamill, Lovett, etc If we play like we have been for the next 18 months, the supporters will tear their memberships up and the club will have a situation like the bombers did last year - where they had to sack the coach b/c sponsors, coteries, members were all walking out the door.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Really, has there been any reason for anyone to think that the club would change coaches now?

Westaway has declared already that he wants a 10 year coach and some stability. And he said this when things weren't going well on-field too.

So apart from the fuckwits suggesting that Lyon could/should/would be excused for walking out on the club, why would anyone think we'd give him the arse?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Westaway took the advice of Frank Costa to heart.

Stability is the key.

When Bomber Thompson was on the edge after 2006, Geelong did a complete review which was right and proper and decided to change a lot but stick with their senior coach.

We know the history.

I hope Westaway remembers that lesson.

For me, if the Saints sack another coach, that will be it. Stan was a disgrace, Blight was a disaster, GT was necessary but caused incedible angst, destabilised the club and forced a change in the President and the Board.

If this club cannot show any common sense and ignore the predictable blatherings of the chip wrappers and sack this coach any time soon, I will call it a day with this club.

it will confirm that the club is full of hysterical losers and will fully deserve the loser mentality tag that it cops.

It will be a complete travesty and will show the club is an idiotic rabble.

We are already in for a big drop inmembership next season.

mark my words, the club will lose thousands more if they make a moron decision like that in the next year or two.

Lyon has earnt the right to rebuild the Saints.

So did Stan BTW.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:Look, I reckon Lyon is the right man for the job, BUT what's the rush to sign him up now? The team is in a hole, let's see him work his way out of this hole. Not as if half the league will be banging down his door this year and he will be lured somewhere else. He has a contract. Fulfil that contract and let's see where are in 18 months time.
I reckon you couldn't be more wrong on this. Any of Melbourne, Freo or Brisbane would jump at him, the last even has a nostalgic connection given he was once a Lions player. Also Hawks and Dogs if either fall in a hole.

Not that it will happen. Westaway and the Footy First ticket would be out on their arse at the next AGM.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

joffaboy wrote:Westaway took the advice of Frank Costa to heart.

Stability is the key.

When Bomber Thompson was on the edge after 2006, Geelong did a complete review which was right and proper and decided to change a lot but stick with their senior coach.

We know the history.

I hope Westaway remembers that lesson.

For me, if the Saints sack another coach, that will be it. Stan was a disgrace, Blight was a disaster, GT was necessary but caused incedible angst, destabilised the club and forced a change in the President and the Board.

If this club cannot show any common sense and ignore the predictable blatherings of the chip wrappers and sack this coach any time soon, I will call it a day with this club.

it will confirm that the club is full of hysterical losers and will fully deserve the loser mentality tag that it cops.

It will be a complete travesty and will show the club is an idiotic rabble.

We are already in for a big drop inmembership next season.

mark my words, the club will lose thousands more if they make a moron decision like that in the next year or two.

Lyon has earnt the right to rebuild the Saints.

So did Stan BTW.
+1, except that bit about calling it a day. Getting too old to change religions now.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Moods wrote:Look, I reckon Lyon is the right man for the job, BUT what's the rush to sign him up now? The team is in a hole, let's see him work his way out of this hole. Not as if half the league will be banging down his door this year and he will be lured somewhere else. He has a contract. Fulfil that contract and let's see where are in 18 months time.
I reckon you couldn't be more wrong on this. Any of Melbourne, Freo or Brisbane would jump at him, the last even has a nostalgic connection given he was once a Lions player. Also Hawks and Dogs if either fall in a hole.

Not that it will happen. Westaway and the Footy First ticket would be out on their arse at the next AGM.
Firstly why would Freo want him and secondly he isnt available for another 18 months. Those other sides may have new coaches or may be going well. i agree with Moods. Let him at least get to half way through next season.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

WOW, finally something Grant and I agree on... My thread I started on Sunday about Sticking Fat for once

Wow wee Grant, I can't believe we agree on something finally !!! its been a while..

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
spert
Saintsational Legend

Well I reckon that if you can't win a premiership in three goes, then the team is 15th on the ladder after 8 rounds the following year, then you have serious questions to answer as a coach, rather than saying they're a different team this year. Mr Westaway probably needs to get out there and publicly get behind the coach if he is fairdinkum.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote: +1, except that bit about calling it a day. Getting too old to change religions now.
Wouldn't change my religion GO, I would become faithless. I would not renew my membership, i would not go to games.

I would follow them the way I follow my Sydney RL team, my EPL team, my NFL team - out of intrest, but with the passion gone.

Will not be taken for an idiot by this lot again.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I also remember people on this forum laughing at Costa saying they we resigning Thompson before someone else took him. This was before the 2007 season.

Huge mirth, Thompson is no good, Costa is an idiot. Geelong will never be any good with that coach, will win nothing....

welll, Geelong stuck fat, bit the bullet, and won two flags and are undefeated this season.

Lesson time.

Lance or James??

spert
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I also remember people on this forum laughing at Costa saying they we resigning Thompson before someone else took him. This was before the 2007 season.

Huge mirth, Thompson is no good, Costa is an idiot. Geelong will never be any good with that coach, will win nothing....

welll, Geelong stuck fat, bit the bullet, and won two flags and are undefeated this season.

Lesson time.
That's after Costa told Bomber to improve or you're out, and appointed Balme to mentor him in the coaches box.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whilst I like Lyon,

I'd like to see what Lyon has in store for the Saints b4 I commit to him

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Are You there?....Sign Lyon NOW..

Teflon wrote:Just heard Grant Thomas plead "for once in their life" for the St Kilda FC to stick fat and stay the course with their coach. Im no Grant fan but I applaud him this time.

Lets hear ya greg.
isnt he signed until the end of 2012?

wouldnt u wait until he had presented a plan for 2012-2014 before u signed him?

or do we just do stuff to respond to the media? who cares about media drums? lets have sound decision making processes please.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:whilst I like Lyon,

I'd like to see what Lyon has in store for the Saints b4 I commit to him
+ 1

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I'm a strong supporter of Coaching stability for a change at the Saints. Ross's record is on the board. In our current circumstance, what guarantees are there that anyone else could do a better job. Look how long it took Malthouse to deliver !

Recruiting has been the archilles heel in leading to our current position and is somethjing that Ross needs to address. Reality has now set in and Ross knows that he cannot "steal" another good effort with the cattle that he has. I am sure that we will see him change hia approach. :wink:

JohnMac

When you are down in the hole it looks a long way up but it can be done. Think Hawthorn in 2010.

Too soon to think about sacking or re-signing the coach. Always best to wait till end of season when brain is working in detached mode.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the sentiments to not sack the coach. Totally the wrong way to go.

However, he is not beyond scrutiny for his decision making and a review to work out the whys and why nots really needs to be done, in my view.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Sign him up!!

Give him another 2-3 years to develop "his" team

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I am sure that they are doing that right now, SENsational. :!: