Winmar.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Winmar.

Soooo I looked for another thread.....But found none.

What did you think?

His return was pretty much as expected IMO. I did not think he was ready for a senior call up.

A litte over-awed in the first half. He spectated a bit. 9 possessions. 67% efficiency and went inside 50 a couple of times.

I hope they just keep him in the side from here on. Winmar, Cripps, Sippos, Steven....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Think he could miss with a shoulder this week.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Borderline. But as the Zebs have a bye it will be a bit hard to determine if someone else deserves a shot. I reckon Tom Lynch might have done some good out there. No problem with Winmar having his shot in indigenous week though.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
ando051
Club Player

He was ok, He did do a lot of ball watching but that will improve. He has good pace and has a good size about him. I think Lynch would of played this week but was heavily concussed last weekend.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Needs to harden up a bit - copped two hits and both times went down in a screaming heap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Needs to harden up a bit - copped two hits and both times went down in a screaming heap.
Probably because both hits really hurt him. That can actually happen.

ando051
Club Player

it was a good hip and shoulder that would of hurt anyone and getting your head smashed into the artificial turf section of the ground would not of tickled either.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Should get another game. Not a fan of dropping youngster after 1st game, except for injury.

However, if he is injured, I would like Smith to play, instead of McQualter, Clarke etc.

PJ
SS Life Member

getting your head smashed into the artificial turf section of the ground would not of tickled either.
Singing the club song at the end of the game would have helped.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Seemed a little over awed by the pace of AFL compared to VFL. The ONLY way he will improve this is in the AFL side, if his shoulder is OK !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Needs to harden up a bit - copped two hits and both times went down in a screaming heap.
Hope this is a joke.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Hope this is a joke.
No It's not. Why would it be?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Gotta say, his game WAS pretty similar to his Sandy games.

May as well keep him elevated if he is going to improve from here.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

That's just dumbarse. Did he not play the game out after getting heavily whacked? What more could he do?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
That's just dumbarse. Did he not play the game out after getting heavily whacked? What more could he do?
I didn't like the way he layed on the ground and grimmaced.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ok-ish...

Just did not do enough, which is all part of learning the game.

For Freo on a big ground we need pace and run....so Smith may be a better option.

Evidently Winmar has injured his AC joint. So will at least be sore.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Solar
Saintsational Legend

He will be a outside runner for the first half of his career so no suprise he spectated a little. Thought his use of the ball was very good and nearly kicked the goal of the day.

Those two hits would have hurt, especially the first. Did well to come back on.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
The Craw
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:
I didn't like the way he layed on the ground and grimmaced.
What Like Davey who was looking for every excuse under the sun for being toweled up by CJ.

Hobbling around the ground, squibbing a marking contest.

Winmar got absolutely pol-axed, wouldn't mind seeing your reaction if it happened to you, most likely you wouldn't get up at all pppft !

At least the kid got up and tried to play the game out.

Not Craw, CRAW!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Moods wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Hope this is a joke.
I reckOn there's a fair likelihood that if you got hit that hard, you'd be off work for a week.

Cuz did a couple of nice things & showed he has neat disposal & can cover the ground well. Just like Cripps & Siposs he will get used to the physicality & get more of it when his body develops.

At least we have seen encouraging signs in all of our debutants this year. I'm excited at the prospects of Crocker & Ledger adding to the new generation coming through.

Furphy
Club Player

He showed plenty of guts coming back onto the ground after that shoulder injury. Then he was slammed onto the turf again later. Hope he's ok, that would have hurt!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Moods wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Hope this is a joke.
I reckOn there's a fair likelihood that if you got hit that hard, you'd be off work for a week.

Cuz did a couple of nice things & showed he has neat disposal & can cover the ground well. Just like Cripps & Siposs he will get used to the physicality & get more of it when his body develops.

At least we have seen encouraging signs in all of our debutants this year. I'm excited at the prospects of Crocker & Ledger adding to the new generation coming through.
Yep, in 2009/10 we wouldn't have even seen these blokes out there.

Now we're playing the kids early which is what a lot of us wanted. But they are just kids with kid bodies. We'll see some good things and also some things they need to work on. And they will work on those things and get better.

At the moment Cripps, Siposs, Winmar etc are built like sticks. They'll get hurt and from time to time they may not go in as hard as Lenny, Roo or Fish. 

But that doesn't worry me one little bit.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Saw him first get crunched by Jones, I think. I winced for him, but he jumped straight up an ran on - well done I thought.

Must have had a sore ACL and we must give him the benefit of any doubt on the second "crunch."

He is taller than I thought and looked over-awaed at times, but what else would you expect. If he is not injured, a follow-up game on the big Freo ground should suit him.

I am not in favour of one week in, one week out for these new kids, unless they have a disastrous first game, which Nic did not.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

after what Lyon said after the game it's unlikely he'll miss next week.
he was definitely taken by the pace of the game best illustrated in a calamitous disorientation sequence ending with a handball to the opposition. But I thought he did alright and covered the ground well. Looks a footballer.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

showed enough for mine. one clanger. pole-axed twice. got himself out of trouble well once. read it ok and can kick.

i assume he is out of contract as a 2nd year player? i think we should be signing him and armo quick smart.

winmar worth persisting with.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

It's funny - cos I'm not seeing anything in our youngsters that everyone on here seems to see.

I see skinny kids not ready for AFL. I see Cripps getting himself into good position, but has poor skill and not great courage. I saw Winmar cop a standard bump and lie on the turf like he'd just been shot. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that one as it may have got him in the wrong spot - BUT the tackle where he lay on the ground motionless occurred about 10 metres from where I was sitting - I thought he was dead. It was a standard AFL tackle. LIke I said, he will need to toughen up in a hurry or won't last long at this level. If his body can't withstand AFL tackling we probably shouldn't play him. It's his 2nd season so I would hope he has developed a little bit by now.

His first game so can only get better.

I see Jack Steven continuously getting caught with the ball b/c he's too slow. Was gratifying to see him win some clearances in the 2nd half - hope this is a sign of things to come, but atm don't see what the fuss is about with him. SOMEONE has to win a clearance don't they? We are getting smashed in this area for various reasons.

I see big Ben getting thrashed in the ruck and barely able to compete against the most raw of ruckman (I also see him take many good grabs, when he can make a contest)

I see Siposs not getting a lot of the ball but actually showing something when he does go near the ball, and competes well when the ball is in his area. THAT'S what I hope to see each week.

I see Armo in his 5th year trying his guts out and getting lauded for a 17 possession game where he doesn't kick a goal or set up a lot of play. Not quick or that skillful, but is apparently the future of the saints....