Gwilt the quite achiever

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Gwilt the quite achiever

Does this guy have to dye his hair purple to get true recognition for his performances? He would have to be one of the most underrated players in the AFL and certainly close to our most consistent and reliable.

Whether we win or lose by 10 goals he gives the same solid game never panicking, standing his ground and constantly bringing the ball out of defence with mostly clean pinpoint disposal week in week out.

But continues to stay a lower profile player.

Is it because he doesn’t play tall and take stand out high lunging overhead marks like Fisher and Gilbert?
Maybe his game is just too neat and clean to gain much notice perhaps if he sprayed a few more off the side of his boot like Gilbert or Dawson it would draw more attention to him I don’t know.

I do know one thing I owe him a huge apology I was a big critic of him and up to a couple of years ago could not understand why we were persisting with him and how he kept getting a game.

This guy has become the ultimate reliable work horse that I’m sure even though he doesn’t get talked up that much during the game would have to be seen as a serious out if struck by Injury.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree. I have watched him from day 1 and I always thought that he had the size and skills that could be developed. My footy mates wouldn't have it for a while, but are now "converts." :lol:

He has obviously worked really hard to improve himself and his fitness.
Keep up the good work Jimmy. :!:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gwilt the quite achiever

Winmar7Fan wrote:But continues to stay a lower profile player.

Is it because he doesn’t play tall and take stand out high lunging overhead marks like Fisher and Gilbert?
Maybe his game is just too neat and clean to gain much notice perhaps if he sprayed a few more off the side of his boot like Gilbert or Dawson it would draw more attention to him I don’t know.
Gwilt gets quite a lot of praise in the media these days: certainly more so than Zac or Gilbert. Nobody sensible would rate him as highly as they do Fisher: but that's no disrespect to Gwilty, as Sam is going to retire as one of our club's all-time greats.

Gwilt was perhaps underestimated for too long, including by our coach (although I know SoS always rated him highly. I think it took Gwilt - who is an asthmatic - longer than most to reach AFL-standard fitness. But he sure is on the pace in 2011. Go Jimmy!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
goddardisgod
Club Player

Gwilt seems to make 1 mistake per match. No matter where the game is being played, he kicks the ball from the left back pocket, and it goes out of bounds 55 metres from goal.

I've never seen him make any other mistake in a game this year.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Then you've got bloody Harry O'brien who has cult status because he wears a Collingwood jumper (IMO) and I truely believe Gwilt is more reliable, Consistant, and better disposer of the ball.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Winmar7Fan wrote:Then you've got bloody Harry O'brien who has cult status because he wears a Collingwood jumper (IMO) and I truely believe Gwilt is more reliable, Consistant, and better disposal of the ball.
O'brien is the most overated player in the game by the media. The thing is, your average footy fan doesn't rate him.

He is suspect under a high ball and often drops it.

His run is good but he often turns it over- Sam Gilbert style.

His defending is mediocre at best.

Gwilt is definetely a better kick, better in the air, and better in the contest than Harry.

saintjake
Club Player

Fitness really isn't an issue for Gwilt anymore I think. He was the only one to play 100% of both teams yesterday and is usually one of our only ones to play the whole game.

saintkid
Club Player

I reckon he's more of a quiet achiever. :lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Reliable performer all year, would now be an automatic selection each week.
Keep up the good work Jimmy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Plays a similar role to what David Grant used to play - he was also highly underated.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Is also the only left footer in our team who has any ability at all on his non-preferred side

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint-stu
Club Player

Totally agree. I was also a doubter in his first few years, but now he is one of my favourite players.

Saves our arses time and time again. :D

1ac46a38
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:Plays a similar role to what David Grant used to play - he was also highly underated.
Not sure about a David Grant comparison. Brett Voss (circa 2004) was more of the ilk - out of the players of recent time - who reminded me a little of the David Grant style of game.

Definitely underrated, is our Jimbo. Particularly last year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think last year was his break out year. Moved from the forward defender role to the backline and just found his spot. He is the most composed looking guy you will see in a backline, he is always chilled even when they give crap decisions against him, just takes it in his stride and gets on with it. He is one of my faves just because he was the first guy of his era to wear hair out of a 1970s scanlens card. Love the Silvio Foschini style, now he plays well it's just a bonus.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Is also the only left footer in our team who has any ability at all on his non-preferred side
Dal's more than ok with his right foot.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
saint66au wrote:Is also the only left footer in our team who has any ability at all on his non-preferred side
Dal's more than ok with his right foot.
Fair point...was thinking more of Jones and Gilbert when I wrote it..Dal is OK but isnt too fond of using it

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

He's our fuzzy wuzzy angel 8-)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very Good player

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

8-)

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:Plays a similar role to what David Grant used to play - he was also highly underated.
Not by me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintkid
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
Not sure about a David Grant comparison. Brett Voss (circa 2004) was more of the ilk - out of the players of recent time - who reminded me a little of the David Grant style of game.

The old man reckons the comparison between David Grant and Brett Voss is a good call because both these guys were terrific marks and were able to play taller than what they were. Gwilty is a good player but not as good a mark as either of these guys.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I've been saying this for a while about Gwilty; he's got the most handsome handball in the AFL.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintkid wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

The old man reckons the comparison between David Grant and Brett Voss is a good call because both these guys were terrific marks and were able to play taller than what they were. Gwilty is a good player but not as good a mark as either of these guys.

David Grant was a fantastic aerialist more so than Gwilt. I loved David Grant another one that got f---ed over by the club.

Megsie
Club Player

another Jason Blake...just gets the job done doesn't look for accolades.

saint-stu
Club Player

Megsie wrote:another Jason Blake...just gets the job done doesn't look for accolades.
No offence to Blake, but I reckon Gwilty is a lot more skillful.

1ac46a38