Polo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Polo

Just me or does Polo offer us more than what Gram can at the present? I think that Gram really has a fight on his hands to keep his spot. For me Polo is the better option and would like to see him back in the team next week.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm... it's like having to make a choice of hamburger meat or mutton.

They both look like pretty ordinary players right now and no doubt will both be fighting to keep their AFL careers alive for next year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
savatage
SS Life Member

Polo wins a hard ball. Polo wins.

Gram isn't even tempting trade bait anymore. Would have been 2-3 years ago.

goddardisgod
Club Player

I thought Gram actually kicked accurately and ran last night. I'm happy for him to play against Geelong.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Polo is about as good as Eddy and Mini.....he cannot kick, therefore offers nothing offensively...

Gram was ok against dogs.....polo hideous against collingwood.

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Polo is about as good as Eddy and Mini.....he cannot kick, therefore offers nothing offensively...

So u critique him on a game against the premiers yet leave out the fact that his two weeks previous were good. Gram has a good game because he kicked well for a change stays in? Did I miss where Gram actually went for the hardball?

Buckets
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Polo is about as good as Eddy and Mini.....he cannot kick, therefore offers nothing offensively...

So u critique him on a game against the premiers yet leave out the fact that his two weeks previous were good. Gram has a good game because he kicked well for a change stays in? Did I miss where Gram actually went for the hardball?

rexy
SS Life Member

IMO Gram did not kick well at all last night?

Maybe this year?
Buckets
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:IMO Gram did not kick well at all last night?

I thought the same! Might have got the ball but wasn't kicking great!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:

There were also posters wanting to drop Armo after last week's game, despite having a very good year up to that point :roll:

Middo
Club Player

Re: Polo

Buckets wrote:Just me or does Polo offer us more than what Gram can at the present? I think that Gram really has a fight on his hands to keep his spot. For me Polo is the better option and would like to see him back in the team next week.
Sadly Polo wins..... :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I must have watched a different game last night, I thought Gram was pretty good and kicked well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
Buckets wrote:Just me or does Polo offer us more than what Gram can at the present? I think that Gram really has a fight on his hands to keep his spot. For me Polo is the better option and would like to see him back in the team next week.
I reckon you guys are harsh on Grammy last night. I know possessions arent everything but 22 is pretty good and some hard ball gets and 4 tackles. Yes he had a few clangers but I reckon he offers much more run than Polo. Anyway he is no hope of being dropped next week.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Middo wrote:

Why sadly?
Gee we scream out for competition of spots we finally get someone who does that takes the spot of Gram who everyone has wanted dropped but it isn't good enough???

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I just can't see Dean Polo coming second (Jason Gram tied and lost on countback) in a Norm Smith medal count. Neither is playing well, but one can play and the other can't. Alas, Dean is one of those players who is good at getting the ball and then giving it straight up.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:

He was as bad as always...even his usual attempt at a '9 pointer' fell about 5m short last night. Two weeks out of the team, same 'old' (2010, 2011) Gram. Polo was probably stiff to be dropped, but Gram should have presented a better option...but I'm not sure he does.

Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Middo wrote:
I reckon you guys are harsh on Grammy last night. I know possessions arent everything but 22 is pretty good and some hard ball gets and 4 tackles. Yes he had a few clangers but I reckon he offers much more run than Polo. Anyway he is no hope of being dropped next week.
Ok , I must of missed the hard ball gets but just think Polo will offer us more in close when Joey comes back as the extra runner next week along with Ledger hopefully getting a full game.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Anyway he is no hope of being dropped next week.
I agree with this...like Hardwick bemoaning Deledio's average first few games this year, words to the effect of "you can't drop good players, because you know they're good players". I.e. He should and could come good at any moment - unless you have a deadset superstar to replace him, he stays on the park. I think Polo is a more consistent option, and less of a risk, but not a patch (from the little I've seen) on Gram at his best. When will it happen again?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Polo without a doubt. He's not a gifted player but he is willing to mess up his hair if it means winning the footy. He's an upgrade on Eddy and McQualter. Gram right now is playing with all the aggression of the Pope.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
Buckets wrote:

He was as bad as always...even his usual attempt at a '9 pointer' fell about 5m short last night. Two weeks out of the team, same 'old' (2010, 2011) Gram. Polo was probably stiff to be dropped, but Gram should have presented a better option...but I'm not sure he does.
Are you making that call from Radelaide or did you see the game live? Not being smart, but if you're going to make a call on a player, it should be done after watching them live. I thought Gramy was ok last night and so did Ross.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Are you making that call from Radelaide or did you see the game live? Not being smart, but if you're going to make a call on a player, it should be done after watching them live. I thought Gramy was ok last night and so did Ross.
I've seen him terrible in person, and on TV, so am 100% confident...how about the rest of the forum, want to ask them individually too?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
Buckets wrote:

I've seen him terrible in person, and on TV, so am 100% confident...how about the rest of the forum, want to ask them individually too?
I was at the game, and he was good for mine, ran hard blocking space, mad tackles, kicked well to position ran forward to provide an option, all the things he does well.

noddy04
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
Buckets wrote:

Yeah you are trying to be smart. Just because someone watched the game on TV doesn't mean he doesn't have the vision that is seen live at the ground. I watched the game on TV and thought Grams kicking was pretty ordinary to say the least. He also pulled out of a couple of tackling opportunities. Sorry that us interstate people aren't able to get to all games in Melbourne. A lot of us get to a fair few. Hope to catch up with you on Sun 10th July here at AAMI v Port SaintPav :)

degruch
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
degruch wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
degruch wrote:
Buckets wrote:

I was at the game, and he was good for mine, ran hard blocking space, mad tackles, kicked well to position ran forward to provide an option, all the things he does well.
Kicked the ball 20m long, 40m up, attempted floppy one-armed tackles, waited outside for someone else to get the ball, etc, etc. You get sweet and sour with Gram...you don't need to be at a game to see it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I believe they 1 and 2 in kicks to the opposition if I recall correctly, so both can butcher the ball.

Though I must say, I thought to his credit, Gram appeared to get better in the second half?

There were a couple of contests/stoppages as a result of his tackling later in the game, which stood out because of the contrast to his first half.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was the recipient of a little talk at half time? :wink:

BTW, the one handed mark was pretty basketball like. 8-)