Years end de-listings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Years end de-listings

Considering we have the 2nd oldest list in the AFL and we arent performing well (No chance for top 6) we will certainly need to replace some senior players. Here is the list I have composed:

Certain to retire, be de-listed or traded

Gardi
Bakes
Mcqualter
Blake

Probable

Polo
Gamble

Possible

Clarke
Gram
Gilbo
Kosi
Heyne
Cahill

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Years end de-listings

Con Gorozidis wrote:Considering we have the 2nd oldest list in the AFL and we arent performing well (No chance for top 6) we will certainly need to replace some senior players. Here is the list I have composed:

Gardi
Bakes
Mcqualter
Blake

Probable

Polo
Gamble

Possible

Clarke
Gram
Gilbo
Kosi
Heyne
Cahill
That's more than 1/4 of our list.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How did they go in the last 9 games?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Looks pretty accurate to me Con, except I would add Heyne and Cahill to the "Probables" and make the rest of the possibles Trade Bait/

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Looks pretty accurate to me Con, except I would add Heyne and Cahill to the "Probables" and make the rest of the possibles Trade Bait/
Heyne has a contract so they would have to pay it out. Recent decisions by the club suggest they dont do that so he should stay. Cahill will go unless he shows a lot in the next 9 or so games. Also i doubt any Con mentioned have any trade potential at all.

noob
Club Player

how did heyne play in the sandy reserves? Not looking good if its your 3rd year?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:How did they go in the last 9 games?
Dunno. Thats why I put them in the three categories. Obviously I only put Gilbo on the list because of the GWS rumours.

To the top
SS Life Member

There are indeed 9 games still to go - and that means Heyne must show something over those 9 games to remain as viable on our list.

He is currently in the VFL Seconds and not coming back from any long term injury - so it is on form.

Apart from that Baker, Geary, Gamble, Blake and McQualter would appear the obvious ones.

Gamble was very poor yesterday - again.

Milne will be 32 - and will possibly remain based on his one quarter cameos, although he did appear to have a leg/groin problem from taking a low mark in the first quarter yesterday.

Gardiner was quite upbeat yesterday and, given he wants to continue and thinks he can impact, he will remain and needs to remain.

It will be his call.

Kosi also was in fine fettle yesterday enjoying the interaction and appearing pretty fit.

As kicking to Milne and Schnieder as contested marking options emphasised, we are missing these 2 particularly.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I don't agree about Kosi and Blake (unless they choose to retire, which I'm not expecting).

I assume that Gardi will retire and Baker will probably be "encouraged" to retire (I'm reading a fair bit into him not being selected on Sunday when his form in the previous game didn't look to be particularly worse than that of most others).

So that's two gone already. Polo, Gamble, Heyne and Cahill must surely all be on the edge of the cliff too. I reckon - barring a massive turn around in form - Heyne is more or less a definite, so that's three already. And I'm struggling to understand why we'd want to persist with Gamble.

Given that this year's draft is seriously compromised, how many more would we want to get rid of? On that basis, I would think that the likes of McQualter, Gram and Raph are probably fairly safe. And Polo and Cahill might each get another go too.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I don't know how the coaches will chose, but this is what I'd do

Retire:
Baker
Blake
Gardiner (encourage to play on if his body is right)

Delist:
Gamble
Polo
Cahill
McQualter
Gram
Heyne

Elevate:
Walsh
Archer

Offer Gilbert, Jones and Clarke as trade bait, keep if nothing decent comes up. See if we can get anything for Gram as well.

Leaves 7 spots open, most likely two or three from trades/recycling and four/five draftees. Must recruit some ready made ruck depth, midfielders/defenders with skill and an apprentice for Milney.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

<Maybe add Curren to the elevations.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I don't know how the coaches will chose, but this is what I'd do

Retire:
Baker
Blake

Delist:
Gamble
Polo
Cahill
McQualter
Gram

Elevate:
Walsh
Archer

Offer Gilbert, Jones and Clarke as trade bait, keep if nothing decent comes up. See if we can get anything for Gram as well.

Leaves 6 spots open, most likely one or two from trades/recycling and four/five draftees. Must recruit some ready made ruck depth, midfielders/defenders with skill and an apprentice for Milney.
You have it in for Gram. You want him dropped every week and now delisted. Well he wont be so get used to it. They arent going to delist that many if those players retire anyway. Walsh may want to go home if he continues to not get a game and I really hope they dont elevate Archer. Seen enough of him to suggest he will continue to be an average Sandy player. Jones and Clarke also have absolutely no trade value. And at least you have given Gilbert the whole season before trying to trade him. That is big of you considering his last 2 years at the club. A very much required player unless we got some remarkable deal which just doesnt happen.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sack the lot of them and start again!!! But in the meantime we would need to look at what kind of player we need over the next few years and compare it to what we have currently.
We seem to have a lot of middle size players, many of whom have limited footskills and lack legspeed, so maybe this will be looked at at the end of the season.
Players who are inconsistant, have been around a few years and can't hold a senior spot may also be scrutinised.
?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:[You have it in for Gram. You want him dropped every week and now delisted. Well he wont be so get used to it. They arent going to delist that many if those players retire anyway. Walsh may want to go home if he continues to not get a game and I really hope they dont elevate Archer. Seen enough of him to suggest he will continue to be an average Sandy player. Jones and Clarke also have absolutely no trade value. And at least you have given Gilbert the whole season before trying to trade him. That is big of you considering his last 2 years at the club. A very much required player unless we got some remarkable deal which just doesnt happen.
After about a month of Gram's insipid efforts and horrible kicking this year I had had enough of him and I think that it's a disgrace that he is being selected over a player who might be willing to try. Hell, one of the kids might even be able to kick.

I wouldn't expect to get Zac Smith and David Swallow for Jones and Clarke but if we could improve our second round pick then I'd take it. Jones gets shown up in big games and Raph just hasn't been able to put it all together over 8 seasons. Gilbert clearly disrupted the playing group and no amount of damage control scripted interviews will convince me that there aren't still issues there. A trade could be best for both parties as he clearly isn't in the right state of mind at St Kilda and he would command decent compensation; he'd be a perfect target for GC or GWS.

But no plugger, I'm sure no one will go anywhere, no one from Sandy will ever be selected (they're clearly not good enough if they're in the VFL) and there are no issues with anything to do with anyone at the club or in the AFL. And I'm glad you spend 90% of your life on a fan forum to tell everyone that fan forums are pointless and that everyone is wrong except those who agree with the club.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Pretty spot on assessment.

I'd like to keep Gilbert though. He's a gun, just out of form and Fisher realistically doesn't have more than a couple of good years left in him.

I would look at putting Armo on the trade table. We need another runner and/or forward and Armo doesn't fill either of those voids. Bernie Vince from the Crows should be high on the agenda.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:[You have it in for Gram. You want him dropped every week and now delisted. Well he wont be so get used to it. They arent going to delist that many if those players retire anyway. Walsh may want to go home if he continues to not get a game and I really hope they dont elevate Archer. Seen enough of him to suggest he will continue to be an average Sandy player. Jones and Clarke also have absolutely no trade value. And at least you have given Gilbert the whole season before trying to trade him. That is big of you considering his last 2 years at the club. A very much required player unless we got some remarkable deal which just doesnt happen.
After about a month of Gram's insipid efforts and horrible kicking this year I had had enough of him and I think that it's a disgrace that he is being selected over a player who might be willing to try. Hell, one of the kids might even be able to kick.

I wouldn't expect to get Zac Smith and David Swallow for Jones and Clarke but if we could improve our second round pick then I'd take it. Jones gets shown up in big games and Raph just hasn't been able to put it all together over 8 seasons. Gilbert clearly disrupted the playing group and no amount of damage control scripted interviews will convince me that there aren't still issues there. A trade could be best for both parties as he clearly isn't in the right state of mind at St Kilda and he would command decent compensation; he'd be a perfect target for GC or GWS.

But no plugger, I'm sure no one will go anywhere, no one from Sandy will ever be selected (they're clearly not good enough if they're in the VFL) and there are no issues with anything to do with anyone at the club or in the AFL. And I'm glad you spend 90% of your life on a fan forum to tell everyone that fan forums are pointless and that everyone is wrong except those who agree with the club.
I imagine the club makes many mistakes. Well i can think of a few but of course i like everyone else on here actually doesnt know why certain players are picked or fintness issues of other players. You want gram dropped but RL may have been very happy with his defensive efforts on Thomas. Others said Zac was hopeless but again RL may have been very happy Petrie kicked only 2 goals. There is no piont in me abusing a selection or none selection because I have no idea of matchups during games.

Also I have no idea why you even have mentioned knocking the club in this post. You gave your delistings and I said why I think some may or may not happen. Archer is likely to be elevated and i dont want him to be. Should I get on here and rant about him being upgraded. Hardly worth it especially as I have no idea what other draft ideas they had.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:I don't know how the coaches will chose, but this is what I'd do

Retire:
Baker
Blake

Delist:
Gamble
Polo
Cahill
McQualter
Gram

Elevate:
Walsh
Archer

Leaves 6 spots open, most likely one or two from trades/recycling and four/five draftees. Must recruit some ready made ruck depth, midfielders/defenders with skill and an apprentice for Milney.
You have it in for Gram. You want him dropped every week and now delisted. Well he wont be so get used to it. They arent going to delist that many if those players retire anyway. Walsh may want to go home if he continues to not get a game and I really hope they dont elevate Archer. Seen enough of him to suggest he will continue to be an average Sandy player. Jones and Clarke also have absolutely no trade value. And at least you have given Gilbert the whole season before trying to trade him. That is big of you considering his last 2 years at the club. A very much required player unless we got some remarkable deal which just doesnt happen.
I don't know Walsh's situation but he's better off here in some ways with the Irish economy being so stuffed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shmic_s
Club Player

I think maximum two of Blake, Baker & Gardiner will retire.
Delist one, maybe two, of Polo, McQualter, Gamble.
Archer and Cahill would be in a bit of trouble and would want show something in the remainder of the season.

So that opens about 6 spots up.

Wouldn't think much else would happen outside of those few players.

Would hate to see Gilbert go. Don't think there is any issues there at all either.
Gram is on the outer, but untill someone is demanding his spot, he stays in the team IMO. Did a good defensive job on Sunday.

I'm just looking forward to seeing a forward line of Roo, Kosi, Schneider, Milne, Lynch and Siposs.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Considering we have the 2nd oldest list in the AFL and we arent performing well (No chance for top 6) we will certainly need to replace some senior players. Here is the list I have composed:

Gardi
Bakes
Mcqualter
Blake

Probable

Polo
Gamble

Possible

Clarke
Gram
Gilbo
Kosi
Heyne
Cahill
How good would it be if EVERY club de-listed 13 players. Just imagine the absolute gun you would pick up with pick 234 :roll: !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote: I'm just looking forward to seeing a forward line of Roo, Kosi, Schneider, Milne, Lynch and Siposs.
Classic :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Gardi
Bakes
Mcqualter
Blake

Probable

Polo
Gamble

Possible

Clarke
Gram
Gilbo
Kosi
Heyne
Cahill
I would be very very surprised if more than 5-6 of these were correct.

You can not cut that many players in one year, many who are in our BEST 22!!

Who are you going to replace them with??!!!

Sainter for life.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintSimmo wrote:

Gardi
Bakes
Mcqualter
Blake

Probable

Polo
Gamble

Possible

Clarke
Gram
Gilbo
Kosi
Heyne
Cahill
I would be very very surprised if more than 5-6 of these were correct. 

You can not cut that many players in one year, many who are in our BEST 22!! 

Who are you going to replace them with??!!!
Well pick 234 for starters (don't you read all the posts!) :wink:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

What a pointless thread

Another opportunity awaits!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm being delisted.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's pretty hard to find more than a handful of de-listings.

In my view, at least two of Ferguson, Curren, and Walsh need to come on to the main list, so we'll need to de-list or trade at least 5 players.

The most likely, in order are:

Heyne (de-list)
Baker (retire)
Cahill (de-list)
Gardiner (retire)
McQualter (de-list)

If Gardiner goes, then Blake might stay as a back ruckman.

Depending on what the coach thinks, or what nibbles have come from GWS, Stanley may move on, and Gram, Armitage, and Clarke could be considered for trade.

Anyway, I'm finding it really hard to pin down the players who are going to go. In previous years it's been a bit more obvious.