Are We Interested ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Are We Interested ?

Tyson Goldsack (Coll)
Ricky Dyson (Ess)
Xavier Ellis (Haw)
Josh Hill (WB)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 6088308539

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Xavier Ellis very much so. Dyson and Hill and useless and Goldsack isnt anywhere near as good as Raph so no.

The thing is these names are all bulls*** much the same as the possible trades for Luke Ball. Just a bored journo who in twelve months time when Morton is killing it for Melbourne will write a article critisising Melbourne for thinking of trading him.
Last edited by CURLY on Wed 06 Jul 2011 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ellis would be a good pickup. maybe Goldsack not the other two duds.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I've lost the desire for these middle of the road trades.

Either land a big fish or keep our picks.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:I've lost the desire for these middle of the road trades.

Abso - effing - lutely...

Austinnn
Club Player

+1

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

1, 3 and 4 have a lot to offer.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

+ 1. Get a gun or develop our kids. There are no shortcuts.

goddardisgod
Club Player

Would rather Bate or Trengrove of that list.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Ellis would be a worthwhile pick-up (similar to Ray). At 23, good pace, 74 games and a good kick!

Goldsack would also be ok, but he is a backman (do we need another one). Age 24, games 61.

If we could get either, I would only take 1. :wink:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Ellis for sure, the others no thanks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Only Goldsack. The others cant get a game because of form, Goldsack is just because of the depth of the pies.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Only Goldsack. The others cant get a game because of form, Goldsack is just because of the depth of the pies.

Ellis is struggling because of injuries and a ridiculously good Hawthorn midfield. He's the one with the most upside out of those players listed. Goldsack would get a game but doesn't have the ability to be more than a GOP, Ellis has the potential to become an A grader if he's given a good run at it and would suit our midfield very well.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Only Goldsack. The others cant get a game because of form, Goldsack is just because of the depth of the pies.

Ellis is struggling because of injuries and a ridiculously good Hawthorn midfield. He's the one with the most upside out of those players listed. Goldsack would get a game but doesn't have the ability to be more than a GOP, Ellis has the potential to become an A grader if he's given a good run at it and would suit our midfield very well.
Hawthorn have been missing a few in the midfield all year and he still cant get a game. Struggled last year as well. 2 bad years suggests he may have lost his ability maybe due to all those injuries. I like the way Goldsack plays and doesnt seem injury prone. Skills are ok too which is a bonus for us.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Maybe they're better off keeping the draft picks......

Off that H-Sun list, the ones I would look at are Tuck, Mitch Morton, Trengove and Dyson.
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 07 Jul 2011 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

NO ONE, whether it be a trade or a Draftee, who doesn't have really good foot skills :evil:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Maybe they're better off keeping the draft picks......

Off that H-Sun list, the ones I would look at are Tuck, Mitch Morton, Goldsack, Trengove and Dyson.
Quite a tasty list. We baulked completely at trade week last year, and while we all want to see the kids, I'm a big fan of balance. With crafty trading, we basically went within a whisker of two flags, giving up very little to get a hell of a lot. Only Lovett was a price-bomb, and that could've been a flop pick.

The mentality of AFL clubs has become so youth obsessed that very decent players capable of contributing often get passed over in favour of speculative picks. Everybody is trying to land the next Riewoldt with pick 83. It's a 100-1 shot, but clubs would rather do this than take a 24-year old with 150-games in front of him.

I don't think Mitch will get a run next year. His personal demons are too great. I feel incredibly sorry for him and hope he finds his way out of his current issues. Very talented on his day but he has bigger things to deal with than footy.

I don't mind going for Dyson - he would actually break into our 22 on a regular basis - as he could play another 100 games. For mine, he automatically jumps ahead of Polo, Geary, Eddy, Baker and McQualter. For pick 108, I'd do it.

Likewise another out of favour player, Steven Salopek. A St Kilda-supporting junior who grew up going to Waverley every week has fallen out of favour at Port and has wanted to come home for years. I'd be happy to take him or Dyson to help bolster our midfield stocks.

Trengove would be a fine get but I doubt we have anything that could get him. Somebody will pay over the odds to make him theirs.

As for Ellis, absolutely, but would we be outbid? What could we offer?
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 06 Jul 2011 7:19pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

GramSlam

I think we would be interested in X Ellis!

We need the pace off the HBF...

Would we be interested in Salopek again? i think he signed a new contract recenetly but is still in and out of Port!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We can always do with a new whipping boy(1 would be plenty)

especially if Ross dumps all the list cloggers at seasons end...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Maybe they're better off keeping the draft picks......

Off that H-Sun list, the ones I would look at are Tuck, Mitch Morton, Goldsack, Trengove and Dyson.
Quite a tasty list. We baulked completely at trade week last year, and while we all want to see the kids, I'm a big fan of balance. With crafty trading, we basically went within a whisker of two flags, giving up very little to get a hell of a lot. Only Lovett was a price-bomb, and that could've been a flop pick.

I don't think Mitch will get a run next year. His personal demons are too great. I feel incredibly sorry for him and hope he finds his way out of his current issues. Very talented on his day but he has bigger things to deal with than footy.

I don't mind going for Dyson - he would actually break into our 22 on a regular basis - as he could play another 100 games. For mine, he automatically jumps ahead of Polo, Geary, Eddy, Baker and McQualter. For pick 108, I'd do it.

Trengove would be a fine get but I doubt we have anything that could get him. Somebody will pay over the odds to make him theirs.
Yep we might get Dyson for pick one million but what does it achieve. I dont he is the type that is going to lead us into the finals or a flag. I know people say it doesnt cost much but it does. it stops a young kid developing because as you say he probably get a game but will it help the club long term. Doubt it very much. The only reason we would go for anyone over the age of 22 is if we think we can win the flag in the next 2 years. I say we have no hope so lets just draft kids and not trade but if have to trade can we at least get young kids, not a guy in the system for 8 years.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep we might get Dyson for pick one million but what does it achieve. I dont he is the type that is going to lead us into the finals or a flag. I know people say it doesnt cost much but it does. it stops a young kid developing because as you say he probably get a game but will it help the club long term. Doubt it very much. The only reason we would go for anyone over the age of 22 is if we think we can win the flag in the next 2 years. I say we have no hope so lets just draft kids and not trade but if have to trade can we at least get young kids, not a guy in the system for 8 years.
I'm all for going with kids. But I never think you should turn your back on any potential opportunities that can arise.

Dyson is no star, but would he had more to our list than our current crop of midfield plodders? Absolutely.

It's about list management. We're not talking about Dyson taking up a spot amongst our top 10 elite players, we're looking more broadly - in the final few spots on the list.

To my mind, he's in the mix for one of the final few spots. You get a choice between Baker/Polo/McQualter sticking around, a punt on a kid who played a good quarter in an TAC u/18 match, or a guy who has shown he can cut it at the elite level at times and has something we lack [pace]?

It's not ideal, but if we all want to 'reload for another crack in 2012', I don't mind seeing some of our dead wood cut away in favour of some Farren Ray-esq types who might be able to rejuvenate their careers.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep we might get Dyson for pick one million but what does it achieve. I dont he is the type that is going to lead us into the finals or a flag. I know people say it doesnt cost much but it does. it stops a young kid developing because as you say he probably get a game but will it help the club long term. Doubt it very much. The only reason we would go for anyone over the age of 22 is if we think we can win the flag in the next 2 years. I say we have no hope so lets just draft kids and not trade but if have to trade can we at least get young kids, not a guy in the system for 8 years.
I'm all for going with kids. But I never think you should turn your back on any potential opportunities that can arise.

Dyson is no star, but would he had more to our list than our current crop of midfield plodders? Absolutely.

It's about list management. We're not talking about Dyson taking up a spot amongst our top 10 elite players, we're looking more broadly - in the final few spots on the list.

To my mind, he's in the mix for one of the final few spots. You get a choice between Baker/Polo/McQualter sticking around, a punt on a kid who played a good quarter in an TAC u/18 match, or a guy who has shown he can cut it at the elite level at times and has something we lack [pace]?

It's not ideal, but if we all want to 'reload for another crack in 2012', I don't mind seeing some of our dead wood cut away in favour of some Farren Ray-esq types who might be able to rejuvenate their careers.
But that is my point. We have recruited players from other clubs for 5 years to try and win the flag. Worth the punt but it is now costing us as we have no real early to mid 20 year olds coming through because those traded players got games instead of young kids. Now you want another crack next year. That sets us back again. I think we would be better to realise we have little hope of winning the flag so lets draft and not trade.

groupie1
Club Player

I agree, mate. In fact, going for some big fish is a good idea to have one last shot at it in 2012 in the Hayes/Reiwoldt era.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
spert
Saintsational Legend

If some of these players are not good enough to get a game in teams threatening for a flag, then why are we interested, as these are the teams we need to beat! Let's break the habit of St K recruiting, and look for good young players and develop them with a long term view, not a short term fix.

PJ
SS Life Member

Get Trengove

A half back line with Fisher Trengove Gilbert Has serious potential.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.