Commentator bias

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jamesmc
Club Player

Commentator bias

Watched last nights match on tv. Why do the callers always seem to want our opposition to win! In the past i thought it was because we were the top team, and they wanted the under dogs to get up. Last night W.Coast were 4th and we were 11th, but all of them were willing on W. Coast. Wish they would go back to commentating and stop barracking. :evil:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Maybe cos we were 43 points in front..so then WCE became the underdogs...and they nearly stole the match...but didnt 8-)

Every week theres a thread bagging the commentators...some justified, some not IMO

Are there ANY commentators that anyone likes..or are they just all crap at calling St Kilda games cos they hate us?? :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint tash
Club Player

Like Channel 10 yesterday when Quarterbrain suggested that "someone should have ridden Pendlebury's shoulder into the ground".

If that was said about one of our players I'd say we would be fuming.

In saying that I'm glad Ten have lost the rights. Too many carlton scum on there.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Natanui leaps but can't take the mark and the commentators go apeshit.
Zac takes a massive speccy and the commentry was....meh. :roll:

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

speaking of commentators
Caro ( sometimes she has good points) pointed out to Robert walls in their pregame today that Zac had had a good game- he agreed that it was the best games he'd seen him play

TL then said that they were on the same flight as the saints from Adelaide last week and he wondered why certain commentator was slinking down in seat as Saints team boarded. ( they both then confirmed it was stretching the facts)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:speaking of commentators
Caro ( sometimes she has good points) pointed out to Robert walls in their pregame today that Zac had had a good game- he agreed that it was the best games he'd seen him play

TL then said that they were on the same flight as the saints from Adelaide last week and he wondered why certain commentator was slinking down in seat as Saints team boarded. ( they both then confirmed it was stretching the facts)
TL? Is that Tommy Lahiff?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Tony Leonard.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
goodie
Club Player

Munga wrote:Natanui leaps but can't take the mark and the commentators go apeshit.
Zac takes a massive speccy and the commentry was....meh. :roll:
Goddard takes a speccy and they go 'Seen him do better'

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Biased - FFS spent a half hour in the car earleir listening to the Brisbane MMM team calling the Lions/Cats game.

Not sure who they all were, but look up biased in the dictionary and there would be pics of them with Lions shirts on.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'm just glad Naitanui didn't play better. They were at the point of orgasm every time he went near the ball. I know the kid is exciting and he is going to be a wonderful player, but seriously, is there a more over-hyped player in the game at the moment?

I watched a replay of the last 20 minutes of the game this morning and couldn't help noticing the palpable lack of enthusiasm in the box as it was apparent the saints were going to win. Almost would have thought they had money on it. I've never heard a great comeback win backed by such solemn commentary. I wonder what would have happened if Nic Nat had gone on with the job and finished us off. Then again, the sight of grown men hugging and kissing each other is a bit off-putting.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
georgie girl
Club Player

Anyone else remember the old 3GL commentary - now that was biased! All the Cats players were called and cheered along by nicknames. If you were lucky enough, they would mention a Saints player or maybe even his name if he was well known and did something amazing.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I wonder what would have happened if Nic Nat had gone on with the job and finished us off.  Then again, the sight of grown men hugging and kissing each other is a bit off-putting.
And if that had've happened, and if Bruce had've been calling, it may not have ended with the foreplay! :shock:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

When Channel Chump... I mean 10 gets to broadcast a game, I often find myself hitting the mute button on the remote control. Not because I feel their commentary has anti-St.Kilda sentiment - although people like Robert Walls and Luke Darcy make me wonder - but because their standard of sportcasting is utterly abysmal.

Channel 10 losing their AFL rights year - now that's GOOD FOR FOOTBALL :D

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
howlinwolf
Club Player

georgie girl wrote:Anyone else remember the old 3GL commentary - now that was biased! All the Cats players were called and cheered along by nicknames. If you were lucky enough, they would mention a Saints player or maybe even his name if he was well known and did something amazing.
Oh yes Georgie !!!
THE most biased commentary ever heard anywhere.
It was insane. There was only ever one team playing.
If Geelong were 50 points down they'd say " the Cats are still in this"
If they were one point up it'd be " The Cats have this in the bag.
You have to have heard it to know how bad it was.
Legendary commentators like Brian Brushfield and Peter Le Grand.
The only one that kept them any where near honest was Ted Whitten
who would ridicule their bias on air.

Spaceman... you must remember these days ?
It's part of our ongoing distaste for the Cats.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

howlinwolf wrote:Spaceman... you must remember these days ?
It's part of our ongoing distaste for the Cats.
Fortunately I only moved to G'Town in 2009 so I've been spared most of that 3GL/KRock waffle :wink:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I loved the way Johnson and Dunstall were willing the umpires to give a 50 to Cox when things were tight in the last quarter. The ball was thrown back to him over his head.

"Oooohhh almost" says Johnson

"Benefit of the doubt" says Dunstall

"A lot of those have been paid 50 this year" says Johnson.

I know the umpires made some bad decisions last night but surely they weren't going to pay 50 when Embley is the one throwing it to Cox.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sooks

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote:Anyone else remember the old 3GL commentary - now that was biased! All the Cats players were called and cheered along by nicknames. If you were lucky enough, they would mention a Saints player or maybe even his name if he was well known and did something amazing.
Yeah, I remember that. It was annoying. Teddy Whitten was a commentator.

Remember Jack Dyer and Ian Major on 3KZ? They were called the Captain and the Major. Their catch cry was "3KZ is football". Pissa.

I was at the game and turned on to AW a couple of times. When were pumping them, King was crapping on about how poor the weagles were. When they came back, it was how great they were.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:I loved the way Johnson and Dunstall were willing the umpires to give a 50 to Cox when things were tight in the last quarter. The ball was thrown back to him over his head.

I know the umpires made some bad decisions last night but surely they weren't going to pay 50 when Embley is the one throwing it to Cox.
Yes that was very funny. It was on the other side of the ground from where i was sitting and it was clear that Embley had thrown the ball back.

It would have been a certain 50 if it had been delivered by a Saints player.

Was evident on the replay. Johnson was pretty good as a colour commentator, D-wayne is just a shocker regardless of where he commentates.

The lack of enthusiasm towards Zacs mark was pretty ordinary, however I think the emthusiasm towards Natanui was fair enough, the guy is an absolute freak. I was in awe of his ability.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:I loved the way Johnson and Dunstall were willing the umpires to give a 50 to Cox when things were tight in the last quarter. The ball was thrown back to him over his head.

Yes that was very funny. It was on the other side of the ground from where i was sitting and it was clear that Embley had thrown the ball back.

Was evident on the replay. Johnson was pretty good as a colour commentator, D-wayne is just a shocker regardless of where he commentates.

The lack of enthusiasm towards Zacs mark was pretty ordinary, however I think the emthusiasm towards Natanui was fair enough, the guy is an absolute freak. I was in awe of his ability.
who is Johnson again?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

who is Johnson again?
Brad. The guy who booed when Harvey won the '97 Brownlow.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

"Dawson should go, and gets" was Dwayne's call on Zacs great mark.

Dunstall : "West Coast's decision making has let them down in this term. I can't remember the last kick to an advantage of a team mate."

Ten seconds later from Dwayne on the replay of Zac's mark "Nice work from Saints number 1 whipping boy"

Compared to the hysteria and replays they showed of Nui ALMOST marking when apparently it was freakish to leap onto Mac's shoulders but drop the mark. FFS.

ThePunter
Club Player

Dunstall's greatest moment calling a St Kilda game was in Round 10, 2009 when he kept repeating that Melbourne had created some really good forward entries in the second half.

Melbourne didn't score in the third quarter, and didn't kick a goal in the entire second half.

Russell steals his salary.

Tim Lane is not as good as he once was. BT can't say "Raff-ay-el".

Huddo is good, Cometti is still amusing, Lethal still keeps relevant despite a little while out of the game, and Watson can be good. Matty Lloyd tries too hard to be critical, Walls openly hates players, and there is a lot of others who don't really rate a mention.

If I had to build an A-Team for commentating, it would be Eddie (as long as Collingwood weren't playing), Huddo, Dermie and Gary Lyon in special comments.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Bring back sandy roberts !

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I thought I heard McAvaney referring to Matt Maguire as "The Moose" today.

Furtius Quo Rdelious