Why will you Re join the saints next year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Why will you Re join the saints next year

before the hype of finals or the dissapointment of not and whilst membershp is a topical topic.

What is your motivation for being a paid up saint ?

(I understand if Finances are dictating otherwise and this is not directed at those who cannot afford ...)

but in the feeling, the ritual, the connection....
is it ingrained or something that makes you feel good.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

from Austinnn
Austinnn
Posted: Tue 19 Jul 7:14 pm Post subject:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forgive me for banging a very familiar drum, but this point is something I believe passionately in:

If we supporters are serious about increasing membership, then it is up to us to do something about it, not just sit on our arses and wait for the club to do it all.

We have to create a proud supporter culture that outsiders want to buy into and marginals get more involved in.

Why would a person become a member of a football club? What does it mean to be a member, rather than just go to the games? Do people really give a stuff about the 2nd rate merch that you get with your membership card? Or the external sponsor-related benefits?

IMO, the people that matter most to St Kilda Football Club right now, the people who have the potential to change our history for the better, are the folks sat in the membership sections of our home and away games. They are the people who can create a movement, be something that others want to be.

How? I would say the way to create this infectious fan movement is by being a strong unified vibrant presence at the ground. That means standing/sitting together, singing home-made songs, making impressive banners, holding up your scarves, representing your club with pride and being inherently positive, win or lose.

It means a bit (not too much) of organisation, which is half done for us now that the internet and fan forums exist, and it takes cooperation, it means stop bickering like children, forget your grudges and stand together as Saints. It means actually doing something, not just typing in Saintsational or BigFooty. It means truly investing in the club. Not necessarily money, but effort.

If our actions in the stands can get attention, we will not only create a culture that people want to be part of, we will also create a favourable atmostphere at games that makes the difference between a flat team and and a fired up team, the difference between winning and losing. If players don't respond to this increased support, their position will be under threat. Players and coaches get inspired by supporters too. If we create a wall of noise and scarves and the players and coaches and staff see that, they will lift their game, either through inspiration or fear. Faced with an army of support, they would want to do their best because they know what happens when you disappoint support like that. So then the standard of play will increase, our results will improve and we will get more bandwagon members as well. This is the way that our actions RIGHT NOW can have a double positive effect on the club's membership.

The club? They players and coaches? The professionals? They are all waiting for us to lift our game, to join them in the modern era. They've created a consisitently strong team, a new home, They've made memberships possible for $75, they can't do more for us. It hasn't been faultless, but things never are. They've made the effort. What have we done? Fan forums and blogs aren't enough. We have to become an army of supporters that outsiders are weary of, not aggressive or idiotic like the Pies or the Crows, but positive, powerful, inspiring. Our history isn't, our song isn't (though I love them both), but our colours are the strongest - hands down - in the league. We have a soul, we have humour, we have the building blocks for a great modern AFL crowd. The song has potential - we need to make it slower, less jolly, more menacing. We need to create other songs, about players, about the coach, about Club legends. We don't need to be Lennon & McCartney, just pinch a tune that everyone knows and put some easy-to-learn/sing lyrics on it, post it on Saintsational, get a consensus and sing it with pride. If we do it right, others will join in. If you see any Saints sitting alone or looking glum, engage them, not in a freaky Born-Again Christian way, just in comradeship, let them know they're not alone and they're part of something great. Don't fracture, just like Leigh Montagna said last year (and if they can stick fat after the pre-season they had, surely a few of us niggly posters here can bury our differences and remember why they are here), be unified at the grounds especially. Don't just rock up, sit on your erse drinking crap expensive beer and eating pies, get things happening. Don't get derailed by smartarse opposition supporters who want St Kilda to go back to the bad old days. Sing louder, laugh louder, hold your colours longer, higher. If we can BE that 23rd Man, that 6-Goal Wind, we can complete the transformation of St Kilda football Club into a true powerhouse.

Don't wait for the club to do it. It absolutely must NOT be official. It MUST be grass-roots and authentic. Don't focus on the organisation, no official titles or groups. Put the focus on participation and inclusion. Convince people that they want to participate by enjoying it yourself. Win or lose, go to that game and have fun. If we win, don't carry on like we've won the GF, there will be more games, (unless it is the GF!). If we lose, don't tear up your membership card, there will be other games. Don't moan about umpires, or AFL bias or whatever. Represent St Kilda with respect, don't be that idiot in the paper or that tosser in the crowd, don't let the club down with your behaviour. Don't be desperate. Be something that other people want to be. That is how WE can make our club great.
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 19 Jul 2011 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

from moods
Moods Club Player

Posted: Tue 19 Jul 8:41 pm Post subject:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can speak from experience as a bloke who loves his footy but formerly supported a different club - until they went under

I wanted to be part of the club. Not so that I could go to club functions, or meet players, (that's never been my go) I wanted to be a member of a Victorian Club. A club that NEEDED my support, a club that when they finally succeeded I could be proudly say, I contributed to their success in a very tiny way. Supporting a club in the past that had a poor fan base, I wanted to be part of a group of passionate fans who flocked to games in numbers, and when I roared for that team it felt like I had at least half the stadium roaring with me, rather than the cheer squad and a couple of nanny's on the fence clapping politely. My fondest memories of supporting the Roys was sitting in The Kevin Murray Stand at The Junction Oval and yelling as a collective for our team. I recall going to Moorabbin and watching the Roys play the saints. I was always fascinated with the saints supporters. they always seemed as passionate as any supporter group we played against. They roared for blood whenever their team got a sniff and that big stand around the inner looked like it would collapse once they got on a roll. I hated them, but I actually loved them.... Wishing that my nomadic team's supporters could rustle up that enthusiasm. By the end of the 80's they were shunted off to various places and we were made fully aware at whatever ground we were at that this wasn't our home ground really, ie princes park, Vic park, western oval.

My point - the supporter group does play a role in my opinion. Get to games and roar for your team, create excitement, don't just politely clap. People go to the footy b/c they want to get involved, to lap up the atmosphere. We all hate the pies, but I'll say this about them - they never die wondering. I reckon saints supporters have lost this passion somewhat since about 2006. They have almost got used to success, and find it hard to get excited. The last game I can say that saints fans were truly up and about was Rd 14 2009. Let's generate that excitement, so that when neutral friends and family go with you to the footy they say, 'I want to be part of that...'

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Because to NOT sign up would be to expose myself to a karmic backlash the scale of which the world has never seen.

I simply feel compelled. Joyfully so, I should add.

Some things you just do.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Because I've done so every year since 1973.

As Richard Gere's character said in An Officer And A Gentleman, "I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else." :wink:

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

We'll win the premiership next year.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

In answer to the original question;

I'll join up next year because I join up EVERY year !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:In answer to the original question;

I'll join up next year because I join up EVERY year !!
Likewise.

I think my daughter will also.

She made a kite yesterday with "Go Saints" on it l, plus "win the premiership".

Brainwashing successful!!!

SaintWal
Club Player

Because I love me saints and also I signed one of those roll over deals and I don't know how to get out of
It!

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:Because I've done so every year since 1973.

As Richard Gere's character said in An Officer And A Gentleman, "I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else." :wink:
noob :!:

Furtius Quo Rdelious
philtee
Club Player

It's become a habit to sign up every year.
What other team gives you the highs, and the lows ?
And because if you're going to say you're a Sainter you've gotta back it up with the membership.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Because I've done so every year since 1973.

Same here but I have been a member since 1990 when I was 13 years old. I wlll be until i die its pretty simple really!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I've just about had enough.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:I've just about had enough.
Haha, yeh you're right we may aswell all just give up!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Because I love them.
I love the club.
I love the players.
I love the fans.
And all other teams are bad, evil and not nice.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
murray 66
Club Player

I have been a Social Club Member for six years and am lucky if I get to one game a year due to work and Family commitments.
I will always renew my membership with the Saints even though my wife thinks I'm nuts due to living three hours from Melbourne .
It's a choice that i choose to make and will always do.

Go Saints...........................

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
The Fireman wrote:I've just about had enough.
Haha, yeh you're right we may aswell all just give up!
You can do what you like.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I rejoin every year....regardless

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

and so say all of us.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cause the 'Fevolution' is bringin' the party back to the sainters!

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Because to NOT sign up would be to expose myself to a karmic backlash the scale of which the world has never seen.

I simply feel compelled. Joyfully so, I should add.

Some things you just do.
LOL +1

PJ
SS Life Member

Or conversely, what would you do if there was no longer a St.Kilda F.C. to join up to?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Or conversely, what would you do if there was no longer a St.Kilda F.C. to join up to?
Search the Yellow Pages for macrame classes? :?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:
and so say all of us.
For we are jolly good fellows.

PJ
SS Life Member

Search the Yellow Pages for macrame classes?
Indeed.... t'would be a devastating prospect. Folding old game day records and crying over flat beer.

Nah it'll never happen 8-)

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.