Great Win, but...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Great Win, but...

PLEASE don't get me wrong. Anytime you beat another AFL team by more than 10 goals is a great win,

BUT

Some of our disposals and decision making was pretty ordinary.

I just watched a replay of the game and. fair dinkum, some of the kicking and handpassing from Gilbert, Gram, Gamble, Clarke and a few others was pretty poor, especially with hardly any pressure being applied.

We seriously have to get our skills in order if we are going to make the preliminary final as The Oracle advises we will.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I concur to some degree.

However I would say we are improving on a weekly basis.

It seems we are getting faster, better, more efficient on a weekly basis.

I feel (and again its a feeling) we are like rice atm, if you eat to early, its raw, if you over cook its dry and burnt.

I think at the start of the season people were saying it was over. I argued that the talent was still there but our minds were gone, and it was up to the coach to fix the problem.

At this stage I would say RL is in the process of fixing the mental problems.

With improved confidence, the scores and wins will come.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I agree. Got to have some perspective. The Crows are shite. We are still a distance behind the Pies (who isn't?). I reckon that we are making ground on the rest of the top 4-5 though, as seen verse the Weagles last week. We really should have beaten the Cats twice this year (imo) as well. We beat them in general play just butchered the ball as you say in this thread. To take the next step our skills need to improve and they should with our confidence building.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

We have a "reality check" coming up in a fortnight against the Dockers. It will be a good warm-up for the Collingwood game!

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

At least we are trying to take the game on...

Junction Oval wrote:We have a "reality check" coming up in a fortnight against the Dockers. It will be a good warm-up for the Collingwood game!
The skills were pretty ordinary and would have cost us the game against a better quality opponent. I have to say at least we are trying to take the game on...but I would still like to see more player movement when they receive the ball rather than handball.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon the new "play on" style is still pretty raw, and our players aren't the best users of the ball so it's ugly, but it might be that it doesn't matter in the end.

If it comes down to accuracy in front of goal you want to restrict "clean" inside 50 entries and turnovers in defence, and obviously do the opposite in attack.

The Crows were appalling, didn't make us pay for numerous clangers. How far that extends with other teams, who knows?

It's going to be an intriguing few weeks.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Great Win, but...

Jacks Back wrote:PLEASE don't get me wrong. Anytime you beat another AFL team by more than 10 goals is a great win,

BUT

I just watched a replay of the game and. fair dinkum, some of the kicking and handpassing from Gilbert, Gram, Gamble, Clarke and a few others was pretty poor, especially with hardly any pressure being applied.

We seriously have to get our skills in order if we are going to make the preliminary final as The Oracle advises we will.
sure ..but how many 100 plus point wins have we had in our 100 plus year history....13...14??....enjoy what was a very good win

i get pissed off with all the supporters , press , ...whoever.....who continually try to point out how poorly our opposition played ...whilst downgrading the total effort put in by the whole 22 players...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"Great Win, but" Are you crazy? a 103 point victory and you see negatives?
I'm not yet ready to order GF tickets or even see us as top four material, but by God that was GOOD!!! to Ka-pow! a bad side by a bagful is just what this side needed! don't knock it!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed it immensely! The crowd was having a ball, and the players are building confidence. I think the signs are looking good for us to fine tune and peak at the right end of the season. Let's keep rolling along and winning games. The percentage boost against the Crows was dynamite!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
jays
Club Player

its a step in right direction

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Call me greedy, I want a premiership.

That said, Loved serving up the crows.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I had an absolute BALL going mad at every goal, standing up in aisle 18/19 and revving up the crowd! I was HAPPY!!!! I'm not about to go overboard and say we're ready to rock in the GF.....but HELL! lets enjoy a win and take it for what it is!!!! "Great Win, but"? phhhtttttttttt :roll:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Great Win, but...

stinger wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:PLEASE don't get me wrong. Anytime you beat another AFL team by more than 10 goals is a great win,

BUT

sure ..but how many 100 plus point wins have we had in our 100 plus year history....13...14??....enjoy what was a very good win

i get pissed off with all the supporters , press , ...whoever.....who continually try to point out how poorly our opposition played ...whilst downgrading the total effort put in by the whole 22 players...
We are a different team this year and while 100 point thrashings are misleading, we are playing with a sh!t load more intensity and I'll take the % booster any day.

There have only ever been 100 plus margins 252 times in the history of the AFL/VFL. St Kilda is a team that has traditionally not pumped teams. We have done it 14 times in our history with seven of those since 2004. So we are in a golden era considering our bleak history (# of wins, GF and finals played in etc). If we make the eight at the end of the year, we will have played in seven out of the last eight finals series. I'm not deluded about our chances but I will take that and I'm still enjoying it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Saintpav you beauty!!! GREAT POST!!!! This has won you a get out of jail free card OR a drink from the Jiggster at the Whitten room pre-game against Freo!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Saintpav you beauty!!! GREAT POST!!!! This has won you a get out of jail free card OR a drink from the Jiggster at the Whitten room pre-game against Freo!!!
Cool.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

No worries me owld 'tater! if you're in the whitten room pre freo game I'm happy to shout you a frothy/whatever just look out for the silly man in the pork pie hat/beanie! :lol: (next to the bar) Love your work!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:No worries me owld 'tater! if you're in the whitten room pre freo game I'm happy to shout you a frothy/whatever just look out for the silly man in the pork pie hat/beanie! :lol: (next to the bar) Love your work!!!!

Thanks. I'll look out for ya.

sRaf
Club Player

I think our near perfect execution of structure (at times) covered for that. There was always cover and support in all directions. We haven't run with such confidence all year.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Nit picking here after an awesome win, but is anyone concerned we haven't strung together an 8 goals quarter.
I don't think it concerns me because when we have a dominant quarter the opposition won't kick a goal where as most sides that can kick 8 in a quarter will still concede a couple of goals.
I think I would still like to see a big quarter as reassurance that we can do it even if the opposition kick 6.

sRaf
Club Player

Goose is king wrote:Nit picking here after an awesome win, but is anyone concerned we haven't strung together an 8 goals quarter.
I don't think it concerns me because when we have a dominant quarter the opposition won't kick a goal where as most sides that can kick 8 in a quarter will still concede a couple of goals.
I think I would still like to see a big quarter as reassurance that we can do it even if the opposition kick 6.
While we haven't kicked eight in a quarter, we've kicked six against West Coast last week. We've also kicked five in a quarter many times in the past couple of months. It's not eight, but I think if you consider our game plan, it certainly feels like nine or ten, since our opponent isn't scoring.

But we do have Gold Coast next week. If we prepare for them like we've preparing for other teams in recent rounds, maybe we'll get our first eight goal quarter ;)