Danger Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Danger Game

I saw a mini little piece on the Gold Coast Suns last year.

It was a 'behind the scenes' thing where they showed them building up to games, their preparation and all that stuff.

In each of their 'team meetings', they were studying the Saints. They were learning from us, as they obviously saw us as the benchmark.

There was an instance where they were studying Dal Santo and how when he had the ball from a free kick, if he pulled up his left sock, it was a sign to slow things down.

Clearly, they had been studying us closely!

So it will be very interesting this week. I'd reckon they'd be more prepared for us, than any other team.

Maybe it's a bit of a danger game for us?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Would be extremely disappointed if the Saints took them lightly.

Surely Ross wouldn't allow that?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

"Danger Game"-- EVERY Game

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Quixote
SS Life Member

Ablett would have to have ninety touches and Brennan kick 13 goals for them to get over us, I reckon.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

They outplayed Geelong for a half and competed with Collingwood all night but were let down by skill errors under pressure. It's no fluke they've been up for these two games and nor will it be a fluke when they take it up to us.

They're clearance work is excellent. Ours not so.

It troubles me a little, this one.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Make sure Dal Santo doesn't wear socks and the Suns will be stuffed.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Seriously they play the better teams well.

we have to show them absolute respect, take our best 22 and beat them with discipline we've shown again and again.

The minute you give them an even break they jump on you.

They competed really well against collingwood though outclassed in talent, skill, experience and money.

I expect a 30 to 40 point win, anything less will be disappointing.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think if you put kids under pressure, you should be able to create turnovers.

Jones plays well on Ablett traditionally, or will he take Swallow?

Not sure who Dempster will lock down on, unless Ross give him Ablett as a left field kind of move, with Jones running with Swallow?

Bock obviously gets Roo (if he plays) and Brown perhaps Milne?

What makes me feel better about this game, is how even the performances have been lately. There just hasn't been an unhealthy reliance on our guns recently, IMO anyway.

Nice pickup by Johnny though, I remember seeing that doco as well.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

nicky dal to wear thongs and rack up 28 touches with two sausage rolls.

ablett 12 touches
dempstered

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

All over the ground pressure will eventually cause them to make mistakes.
At the end of the day, enthusiasm alone does not win games.

No doubt Ross will be looking to close down their prime movers, so we will eventually prevail.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm really looking forward to this game. The GCS play really good football in bursts and if they can put four quarters together we will be in a lot of trouble.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Make sure Dal Santo doesn't wear socks and the Suns will be stuffed.
Exactly.

NDS barefoot and we will win by a hundred.

The danger is nit enough Saints fans will bother to watch it on Telly.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game. The GCS play really good football in bursts and if they can put four quarters together we will be in a lot of trouble.
You've been plugging for them from the get go, Cairnsman.

Question is which scarf will you be wearing?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I'm really looking forward to this game. The GCS play really good football in bursts and if they can put four quarters together we will be in a lot of trouble.

It's been great watching them develop this year. Not very often you get to wittness a new club in any sport in this country enter an elite competition and be competitive as they have. Hats off to them. They will be a force to reckon within in two years time and unfortunately they will win a flag before we win our next. That hurts to say that but I think it could be a real possibility.

SunburySaint
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

It's been great watching them develop this year. Not very often you get to wittness a new club in any sport in this country enter an elite competition and be competitive as they have. Hats off to them. They will be a force to reckon within in two years time and unfortunately they will win a flag before we win our next. That hurts to say that but I think it could be a real possibility.
So you will be wearing a red and yellow scarf?

Now lives in Geelong...
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

I despise them. They are the offspring of Demetriou and the very mention of the name Gold Coast Suns makes me want to chunder.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

I despise them. They are the offspring of Demetriou and the very mention of the name Gold Coast Suns makes me want to chunder.
I agree. We would be much better off with just 12 Victorian sides. The idea of growing the game even more makes me sick. Go back to the VFL. Please.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

I agree. We would be much better off with just 12 Victorian sides. The idea of growing the game even more makes me sick. Go back to the VFL. Please.
Having watched them closely this year I have come to despise the Gold Coast Suns as a club, but still very much admire their players. Ablett's an absolute freak who you can't help but admire. Some of the kids are pretty special. Even so the idea of simply creating a club out of nothing and plonking is somewhere demographically convenient doesn't sit well with me. And the whole community schmooze bulls*** wore thin after about a week. The AFL's pretty good at dressing hearts and minds marketing as altruism. Anyone who's seen the state of the dressing sheds at Labrador or Broadbeach would know the money doesn't really trickle down...
"New market" vs "Captive Market" Tasmania? I'm in the Tasmanian camp.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

Demetriou is a very smart and successful man. I can see why you would dislike him. Personally I like the fact that I can watch AFL live on free to air TV most weekends in Cairns and usually more than one game these days. I also like the fact that I recently went to an AFL game played in Cairns for premiership points, so did the rest of the locals who attended and had a fantastic day. It was a remarkable success considering it was played in a Rugby loving area. I've got to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if I like the Suns or if I like the game of AFL itself more, however what I do know is I'm a Saints supporter that has had a long association with North Australia and in particular Cairns and love that these days I can combine my love of AFL, the Saints and North Australia. Three great things, four if I count the Suns. Go Andrew.

BTW the weather up here today is fanfarkingtastic! Great day for flying and fishing…and reading Saintsational.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

Why do you want a VFL??

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

Demetriou is a very smart and successful man. I can see why you would dislike him. Personally I like the fact that I can watch AFL live on free to air TV most weekends in Cairns and usually more than one game these days. I also like the fact that I recently went to an AFL game played in Cairns for premiership points, so did the rest of the locals who attended and had a fantastic day. It was a remarkable success considering it was played in a Rugby loving area. I've got to be perfectly honest I'm not sure if I like the Suns or if I like the game of AFL itself more, however what I do know is I'm a Saints supporter that has had a long association with North Australia and in particular Cairns and love that these days I can combine my love of AFL, the Saints and North Australia. Three great things, four if I count the Suns. Go Andrew.

BTW the weather up here today is fanfarkingtastic! Great day for flying and fishing…and reading Saintsational.
Demetriou didn't expand the comp - Jackson did.

Demetriou is keeping Victorian clubs, at the expense of the comp.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Demetriou is a very smart and successful man. I can see why you would dislike him.
I don't know what you mean by that?

In a financial sense, I'm very successful. And in a family sense, I consider myself to be incredibly successful!

So to suggest I dislike someone out of envy or 'talk poppy syndrome' is offensive, and very ignorant.

I don't think he is smart.

I think he's greedy, and I think the list of stuff ups is far, far longer than the list of positives on his resume.

He inherited a thriving business, that had just been expanded nationally. It was a sport that was akin to religion for 100 years in this country.

To give him credit for it's current financial state is incredibly generous. To hold him accountable for the current state of the competition is far more accurate.

I mean seriously. We have 1 basketcase in South Australia, and several struggling clubs in Victoria.

So what does he do?

Introduces 2 more clubs, and hands them all the benefits that the battling clubs need to hang in there!

The poor clubs right now, are pretty poor on-field too. The only real way to get back on track financially, is to win games and be a contender.

So what happens? They get their draft picks from the scraps left over by Demetriou's new baby!

It's absolutely ridiculous.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

What an idiot. Keeping the Victorian clubs. Much better to either merge, fold or move them. That would be great. Yep makes sense.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

What an idiot. Keeping the Victorian clubs. Much better to either merge, fold or move them. That would be great. Yep makes sense.
Of course it makes sense.

It's a National comp. If you're serious about it, you need to do it properly.

And if you're not going to do it, then don't rush it and in the process set the clubs that you want to keep back 5 years by robbing them of any hope of rebuilding!

And not only that, you ruin any chance of getting to the ideal scenario of each team playing each other twice.

North Melbourne were moronic for not moving to the Gold Coast - and Demetriou was even more stupid for allowing them to.

Do you think it should be a Victorian comp with some interstate sides taking part in it?

It's a National sport, and a National comp. It's madness to have 11 Victorian clubs if you're serious about it.

One should have gone to the Gold Coast, and another to Western Sydney (if it's so important to expand).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Thinline wrote:

Hats off to them?

Of course it makes sense.

It's a National comp. If you're serious about it, you need to do it properly.

And if you're not going to do it, then don't rush it and in the process set the clubs that you want to keep back 5 years by robbing them of any hope of rebuilding!

And not only that, you ruin any chance of getting to the ideal scenario of each team playing each other twice.

North Melbourne were moronic for not moving to the Gold Coast - and Demetriou was even more stupid for allowing them to.

Do you think it should be a Victorian comp with some interstate sides taking part in it?

It's a National sport, and a National comp. It's madness to have 11 Victorian clubs if you're serious about it.

One should have gone to the Gold Coast, and another to Western Sydney (if it's so important to expand).
What should have happened did happen. The AFL gave incentives for North to go to the GC but the members and the board rejected it so the AFL then started a new side. Imagine if it was us going. I bet you would be the first to whinge that AD is wrecking the comp. I suppose some people just whinge what is ever done.