St Kilda 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda 2012

Yes, yes 2011 isn't done yet. But all signs at the moment point to a short struggle, possibly a win and then a drop out of the finals this year. The team has the effort and intensity, but not the skill, structure or scoring power necessary to really threaten the top few teams. Our only hope of winning would be to strangle the opposition for 90 minutes of footy then hope Milne or Schneider have an amazing last quarter and the siren sounds just at the right time.

Next year we need to be better than that. From what we've seen and heard this year it looks like the 2012 team (from the current list) will look something like this:

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Clarke
C: Montagna, Hayes, Jones
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Armitage
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Siposs

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven
Int: Peake, Ray, Gilbert, Gram

It's certainly an improvement with Lenny and Gwilt (about round 12) back in but it still lacks the skill to be a serious premiership threat. At this stage I'd be looking to offload Gilbert and Gram, who both run but can't kick. The inconsistent form of Kosi and our lack of depth for McEvoy is a major concern, so a player like Mitch Clark should be at the absolute top of our priorities. Port Adelaide's incompetence also looks like it will lead to a major exodus of decent players and we should jump on one if we get the chance. Salopek would be a handy addition to the midfield rotation or a runner like Rodan or Pearce would be invaluable if Ross could get them playing the team game.

If we could get this done we'd be in great shape for 2012
Gilbert to GWS for late first round pick (age and B&F finishes gives him value)
First round pick from Gilbert + third round pick for Clark
Gram to GWS/GC/Port for a 3rd round pick or direct for Rodan/Salopek

Resulting in

B: Gwilt, Dawson, Dempster
HB: Goddard, Fisher, Rodan
C: Montagna, Hayes, Jones
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Peake
F: Milne, Clark, Siposs

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Steven
Int: Armitage, Ray, Ledger, Cripps

Emg: Clarke, Koschitzke, Geary

To me that looks like a team with the skill, experience, pace, size and firepower to win a grand final.

I haven't included Tommy Walsh as he just doesn't seem to be doing enough to please the coaches and I can't see him improving a whole lot of his current Sandy form.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda 2012

mad saint guy wrote: Our only hope of winning would be to strangle the opposition for 90 minutes of footy then hope Milne or Schneider have an amazing last quarter and the siren sounds just at the right time.
That's what I hoped would happen last year and the year before that. :cry:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt won't be in the side for the majority of 2012. round 12 is very optimistic given the nature of the injury. No place for Dean Polo? I think he's shown a bit of improved form of late. I would let Kosi go for a draft pick along with Gilbert and Gram. 2012 will be another season of transition in my humble opinion, with more youngsters getting their shot, and with a view to making another full-on tilt at the flag in 2013/14

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Those sides look too much like the sides that aren't quite good enough...

More evolution required IF we want to be ultimately successful but if we want our favourite players to keep getting a game for the Saints then near enough it is...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm of the opinion that we COULD be one of the strong challengers for the flag in 2013-15. We had the best shot at it in 2009, and got another stab at it in 2010. In the meantime we've been overtaken by our nearest rivals for those premierships (Colonwood and Geelong) and others are now emerging (Carlton, Hawthorn, West Coast) It's clear that we need to improve as a goal scoring team, and to maintain (and improve) our defensive structure. I don't think (at present) our list contains the personnel to take us to that higher level. Now I'm NOT saying that all is lost or that we are in for a wooden spoon or two :roll: :wink: I see us as a distinct player in finals series and that during this period we will evolve our team and game style to be a successful premiership side.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I would rather see this: (it obviously depends on a few guys developing quickly or lifting their game, but for the sake of reinventing and progressing, it's worth pursuing)

Dempster Dawson Walsh
Goddard Fisher Ray
Steven Hayes Montagna
Schneider Stanley Cripps
Siposs Riewoldt Milne

McEvoy Jones Dal Santo

Inter from: Gilbert Gram Peake Koschitzke Ledger

(Gwilt in when he's fit)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

When I look at these suggestions, I see a "massaging" of who we have. We need to accept that we have to take a bigger leap forward.

At a "minimum," we need at least, one more potent forward as a must. A couple of outside mids "who can kick" would also be nice. Our current young guys have some talent (Sipposs, Cripps), but unfortunately they are not "game breakers."

The challenge is on the Recruiters again to deliver some game breakers - not an easy task.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Gwilt won't be in the side for the majority of 2012. round 12 is very optimistic given the nature of the injury. No place for Dean Polo? I think he's shown a bit of improved form of late. I would let Kosi go for a draft pick along with Gilbert and Gram. 2012 will be another season of transition in my humble opinion, with more youngsters getting their shot, and with a view to making another full-on tilt at the flag in 2013/14
You would really keep Polo ahead of Gilbert and Gram?

By the way there will be no draft pick for Kosi.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Gwilt won't be in the side for the majority of 2012. round 12 is very optimistic given the nature of the injury. No place for Dean Polo? I think he's shown a bit of improved form of late. I would let Kosi go for a draft pick along with Gilbert and Gram. 2012 will be another season of transition in my humble opinion, with more youngsters getting their shot, and with a view to making another full-on tilt at the flag in 2013/14
One SS poster who attended the function tonight reports that Gwilt is actually ahead of Lenny in regards to his running following their respective surgeries.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm of the opinion that we COULD be one of the strong challengers for the flag in 2013-15.
In that period we'll lose Lenny and Milne for sure while Roo, Dal, Joey and Fisher will be coming to the end of their careers. I think there will be a serious lull for a few years when our core retires as the kids we have only look like support players rather than ones you can build a team around. Other than Steven and McEvoy we don't seem to have guys who look like they could step into a key role for the team. Who replaces the best small forward in St Kilda's history, the CHF with the most B&F's, our only Norm Smith medallist and a slew of other 10+ year stars? Not guys we recycle from other clubs or a bunch of late draft picks.

I think we should load up for a full on assault next year with another powerful goal kicker and a couple of readymade skilled runners.

PJ
SS Life Member

If you're thinking 2012 then Cripps, Ledger, Sipposs, Crocker, Winmar, etc will not be there yet. They may take a step up from 2011 but won't be hitting their full stride yet.

Lenny and Gwilt obviously but we'll still need a couple of very good recruits if we are to change our selves up enough.

Steven will be better but we still need another mid - this is where we've gotta snag someone in the league of Sylvia.

Personally I'd like to see all our energies go into someone like Jackson Trengove (out of contract). Probably won't happen though. You just get the feeling with Pelchen and Lyon conspiring we may get someone who is desperate for success and a return to Melbourne.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
imagine getting told you are on the trade table as bait

then

imagine getting told you were getting traded to the power

lmfao

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm of the opinion that we COULD be one of the strong challengers for the flag in 2013-15.
In that period we'll lose Lenny and Milne for sure while Roo, Dal, Joey and Fisher will be coming to the end of their careers. I think there will be a serious lull for a few years when our core retires as the kids we have only look like support players rather than ones you can build a team around. Other than Steven and McEvoy we don't seem to have guys who look like they could step into a key role for the team. Who replaces the best small forward in St Kilda's history, the CHF with the most B&F's, our only Norm Smith medallist and a slew of other 10+ year stars? Not guys we recycle from other clubs or a bunch of late draft picks.

I think we should load up for a full on assault next year with another powerful goal kicker and a couple of readymade skilled runners.
I agree.

If we think that maybe we are seeing a decline in Roo now......wait till 2013+...............................

Unless Cripps, Ledger, Armitage, Steven PLUS others morph into complete stars........we are in for a few years hibernating.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
One SS poster who attended the function tonight reports that Gwilt is actually ahead of Lenny in regards to his running following their respective surgeries.
Yep, Lenny said it's cause Jimmy has a big rump and thighs, compared to his chicken legs. :lol:

4 weeks ahead of schedule 8-)

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
u kidding me?

Its great if true...

“Yeah….nah””
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think that Cripps showed more ability than our other recruits this year, and that he could develop into a star, if he can only be injury free!
Also Walsh may be what we are looking for down forward, but Sandy keep playing him in defence I dont know what is going on there! Maybe he needs to be played in the Seniors to get time forward?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

didnt len dog do his acl and badly strain the medial??
or something like that?

friggin great news on jimbob

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Are those of you who are saying, "oh, let's be realistic, we can't win it this year, we'll have to wait until next, or maybe even a few years of hibernating while our stars grow old and we go back to losing again," really serious???

Have you confined yourselves to life without a premiership??

I don't subscribe to the "premiership window" theory. That's loser talk.

We are 19 points off being able to beat the number one side.

The flag is there for the taking this year if we're good enough, and that will certainly improve our 2012 prospects indeed.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
matrix
Saintsational Legend

f*** yeah!
i agree
19 points!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Were around the mark......top 6 in 2011....

We will contest the finals again in 2012....who knows

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

We are in a lot of trouble....

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:Are those of you who are saying, "oh, let's be realistic, we can't win it this year, we'll have to wait until next, or maybe even a few years of hibernating while our stars grow old and we go back to losing again," really serious???

Have you confined yourselves to life without a premiership??

I don't subscribe to the "premiership window" theory. That's loser talk.

We are 19 points off being able to beat the number one side.

The flag is there for the taking this year if we're good enough, and that will certainly improve our 2012 prospects indeed.
Oh you are going to be disapointed at the end of the year and for the next 5. Yes, the flag is their for the taking if we are good enough but we arent, far from it.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad a idea to go into September with relatively low expectations actually. That way we can avoid going into the off-season with our prozac prescriptions.

If the finals campaign is short lived, a thorough rebuilding phase has to commence immediatley.

I reckon we gotta go for something along the lines of Alves' "youth policy". No more recruiting recycled players. We have our top 5 or players who can act much like the Burkes, Harveys and Loewes of yesteryear in giving guidence to the developing players.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I keep saying it because I believe it. 2012 will be the real measure of where we are at and what RL has in store for the future, or maybe how he sees the future. Trade time is going to be really interesting this year too.

bozza1980
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:Not a bad a idea to go into September with relatively low expectations actually. That way we can avoid going into the off-season with our prozac prescriptions.

If the finals campaign is short lived, a thorough rebuilding phase has to commence immediatley.

I reckon we gotta go for something along the lines of Alves' "youth policy". No more recruiting recycled players. We have our top 5 or players who can act much like the Burkes, Harveys and Loewes of yesteryear in giving guidence to the developing players.
The only problem with that youth policy was that 5 years after it began we were the worst side in the comp with only 2 finals series to show for the youth led revolution.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.