A win this week will allow us to prepare better for finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

A win this week will allow us to prepare better for finals

A win this week is actaully really important as it will basically shore up 6th position and after that we would need to lose the next two games by ten goals to finish seventh. This means that over the following two weeks we can basically do what we want.

It will allow us to rest and rotate players over the next two weeks in preperation for the finals. For all you Tommy fans, we may get to see him get a go as well.

I was thinking we need to give Dal, Steven, Fisher, Maca a rest. Maybe a couple of others as well. Not sure if Roo needs a rest.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Very important game, and one which I have us playing the Swans in the first week of the finals. We'll learn a lot about ourselves from this game. It'll make or break the season in with regards to a win helping to steady the team after last weeks respectable game against the Filth and build some additional confidence after our 6 straight stint. Should be a great game! Saints by 35 points.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

We're off the back of a tough game and we'll be playing a desperate opponent on their turf that simply has to win.

It has 'outside the four' finals trial written all over it.

Perfect test.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We will win, and win well. 8-)

Cro
Club Player

We do get a reasonable rest going into this game as it is... given how long it took us to find form I wouldn't flirt with it by resting players unless they definitely needed it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:We will win, and win well. 8-)
Silly idea.

We need a loss and NEED to finish 8th so says the Einsteins.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:We do get a reasonable rest going into this game as it is... given how long it took us to find form I wouldn't flirt with it by resting players unless they definitely needed it.
The OP didn't say we should rest players THIS week but the next 2 weeks if we should win.

It makes some sense to rest a couple of players each week but not all at once like we did in 2009.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

St. Luke wrote:Very important game, and one which I have us playing the Swans in the first week of the finals.
That would have been more likely if Sydney hadn't lost to Richmond last weekend. If we beat Sydney this week the probable scenario is that we'll play Essendon in week one.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Cro wrote:We do get a reasonable rest going into this game as it is... given how long it took us to find form I wouldn't flirt with it by resting players unless they definitely needed it.
The OP didn't say we should rest players THIS week but the next 2 weeks if we should win.

It makes some sense to rest a couple of players each week but not all at once like we did in 2009.
That is exactly what I meant.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

We played on Friday night, the Swans played on Sunday in Melbourne. This is a clear advantage and we should win at ANZ Stadium - not the smaller/tighter Sydney ground.

I agree, let's rest any players carrying "niggles & minor injuries." The finals will obviously be tough and we will need to have our running legs in very fresh condition for the Essendon game.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:We played on Friday night, the Swans played on Sunday in Melbourne. This is a clear advantage and we should win at ANZ Stadium - not the smaller/tighter Sydney ground.

I agree, let's rest any players carrying "niggles & minor injuries." The finals will obviously be tough and we will need to have our running legs in very fresh condition for the Essendon game.
Are we in the finals already?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but we arent in the position to give any player a rest. We just need to mange training loads even if we win this week.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Sorry but we arent in the position to give any player a rest. We just need to mange training loads even if we win this week.
This might be true but It could work the other way were you up the ante in training for a week or two and give them a rest from a game but I probably don't know what I'm talking about. It's probably too late to do that now anyway.

I thought Ben and Sam Fisher could do with a break.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Sorry but we arent in the position to give any player a rest. We just need to mange training loads even if we win this week.
This might be true but It could work the other way were you up the ante in training for a week or two and give them a rest from a game but I probably don't know what I'm talking about. It's probably too late to do that now anyway.

Ben and Sam can still play but with lesser roles and less game time.

Ben could be subbed off if the game is set perhaps.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Ben and Sam can still play but with lesser roles and less game time.

Ben could be subbed off if the game is set perhaps.
True and that was the point of the post. It gives us some flexibility and we have options.

So this begs the question, is a week off before finals for Essendon ideal?

Zac Attack
Club Player

I don't really rate our chances against the Hawks in week 2 of the finals if what the majority thinks goes to plan however a win this week would be good and hopefully again during the first week of the finals.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

When it gets to Finals, it's a week at a time proposition and who plays best on the day.

Injuries will no doubt play their part in the outcomes.

FQF
SS Life Member

Zac Attack wrote:I don't really rate our chances against the Hawks in week 2 of the finals if what the majority thinks goes to plan however a win this week would be good and hopefully again during the first week of the finals.
I think we match up reasonably well with the Hawks.

They are a very good side this year, but very very far from unbeatable.

Cro
Club Player

Jacks Back wrote:

Yeah I know, I'm saying we get a good rest this week any way, and really don't think resting players at all is a good idea for us.
Only exceptions possibly being Macca and Jack.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

It's an exciting time right now, there are a few scenarios that could play themselves out over the next - 4/5/6 or 7? :D weeks, but honestly, ITS ALL ABOUT THIS SUNDAY.

This game has looked like being a season-defining match for quite some time now, and it will be just that.

Win, and we will have genuinely got the motor back purring, will go into the finals in our best form for the year, and be a genuine finals threat. Premierships can still be dreamed about with some amount of actual evidence at hand.

Lose, and all of a sudden it's a bit bleaker. Stagger into finals at best, but be relatively easy pickings, and basically confirm that the fall we have taken this year is that little bit longer and harder than what it would have been if we win.

HUGE GAME.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Junction Oval wrote:We played on Friday night, the Swans played on Sunday in Melbourne. This is a clear advantage and we should win at ANZ Stadium - not the smaller/tighter Sydney ground.

Don't you remember what happened last time we rested players against the Swans?

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:

No i don't as I wasn't born in 1965.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

But you were born before 2005?

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

But you were born before 2005?
no

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we only need five more wins for the season.
win, loss, loss, win, win, win, win!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "