The slow news day story- Raph

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The slow news day story- Raph

it's becoming easy to pick the slowest news day of the week
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6126086183

must take them a while to go over the tape

the other Mid week story that reoccurs is Who is going to GWS

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

The Saints, who were languishing at 1-8 before storming home, will clinch a home final if they defeat Carlton on Saturday night.
Funny I don't recall this :roll:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bozza1980
Club Player

dcstkfc wrote:
The Saints, who were languishing at 1-8 before storming home, will clinch a home final if they defeat Carlton on Saturday night.
Funny I don't recall this :roll:
It has been a common thread amongst the press to misrepresent the true horror of our start to 2011.

Having 1 win after 8 rounds, with careful forgetting of byes and draws, was turned into 1-7 and now the Hun have buggered it up completely, 1-8 I don't think so, after Rd 9 we were 2-1-5.

Anyway, it does sound like a much better run coming from 1-8.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Are they not aware that Frankston is about 7 minutes up the road from Seaford? And beautiful and secluded (not to mention high-end and very wealthy) Mt Eliza (where Banger lives), another 5 minutes from there? Plenty of cafe's (and a whole shopping centre and precinct in Frankston) in those areas. If they have that couple of hours to kill, travelling to those spots would take up as little as 15 mins of that time, with the drive from Frankston to Mt Eliza especially nice, first going up Oliver's Hill, overlooking the sea, then along the winding road through the heavily treed areas.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 31 Aug 2011 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Iimagine within a few years that the majority of our players will be living on the Mornington Peninsular.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Are they also aware that most of the working population quite often spend at least nine hours straight at their place of work, five times a week for a fraction of what AFL players are paid?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
samwell
Club Player

B W and R all over wrote:Are they also aware that most of the working population quite often spend at least nine hours straight at their place of work, five times a week for a fraction of what AFL players are paid?
haha yeah exactly what i was thinking - poor things having to spend 6-7 hours straight with their teammates and not being able to get away - how do they manage!!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

To be fair, I could see how you could easily get bored if you had to hang around Seaford all day, with time to kill, but as I said, with Frankston and Mt Eliza within 15 mins, they have little excuse for not finding something to do/somewhere to go.
For those who play golf, there are also the Long Island and Peninsula Country Clubs within 5-6 mins, which both have championship quality, top-100-in-the-country courses, in very relaxing and beautiful natural bush settings. They could join up at one of those and wander down there when they have a couple of hours to kill. They have excellent practise facilities and also bistro's, or whatever, in the clubhouses, for lunch. The Goddards and Fishers etc. would have a ball.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Wed 31 Aug 2011 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:To be fair, I could see how you could easily get bored if you had to hang around Seaford all day, with time to kill, but as I said, with Frankston and Mt Eliza within 15 mins, they have little excuse for not finding something to do/somewhere to go.
For those who play golf, there are also the Long Island and Peninsula Country Clubs within 5-6 mins, which both have championship quality courses in very relaxing and beautiful natural bush settings. They could join up at one of those and wander down there when they have a couple of hours to kill. They have excellent practise facilities and also bistro's, or whatever, in the clubhouses, for lunch. The Goddards and Fishers etc. would have a ball.
They could always practise goalkicking. :roll:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

They're not allowed to!

So they may just have to settle for practising their putting and swings instead.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

And speaking of whingeing - notice the whingeing from people commenting on the article? :roll:

Now I'm whingeing about the whingers :oops:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:And speaking of whingeing - notice the whingeing from people commenting on the article? :roll:

Now I'm whingeing about the whingers :oops:
wait for the whingers whinging about whingers whinging about whinging!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:Are they also aware that most of the working population quite often spend at least nine hours straight at their place of work, five times a week for a fraction of what AFL players are paid?
My sentiments exactly and I hope Raphs comments were taken out of context. I travel 40 ks each way to work and including travel time am away for 12-13 hours per day and god forbid I work with the same people every day, it's so damned hard...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
My sentiments exactly and I hope Raphs comments were taken out of context. I travel 40 ks each way to work and including travel time am away for 12-13 hours per day and god forbid I work with the same people every day, it's so damned hard...
But you do work. I worked for the governement and we were waiting for a redundancy to be given and as such had bugger all work. We just about all went insane. Now if these guys do there 2 hours training and are just waiting aroung doing nothing to the next session I would suggest that isnt a good environment to then go out and train at 100%. I think that is more the issue than the travel part especially as only the older guys now live a fair way from the ground. All the younger guys are closer to the ground now.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
if AW ever put up the podcast you can listen for yourselves- taken in context not blatant as a whinge as being suggested- Just part of the overall niggles that were building at the start of the year.... But the interviewer - as many have- took that part of the interview - the journo has also only spoken of that comment..Raph actually did quite well.
but given one interviewer couldn't remember who the St Kilda Captain was don't necesarily think they can stick the facetious responses in too far

some of the Players have already moved down that way or further- or already lived in the area- so drive home after a night game would be almost as far as some country supporters do-
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 31 Aug 2011 9:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Great cafe on the seaford beach.....go there a lot with my wife and enjoy a sinny latte.....Whilst looking out onto the bay

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:To be fair, I could see how you could easily get bored if you had to hang around Seaford all day, with time to kill, but as I said, with Frankston and Mt Eliza within 15 mins, they have little excuse for not finding something to do/somewhere to go.
For those who play golf, there are also the Long Island and Peninsula Country Clubs within 5-6 mins, which both have championship quality courses in very relaxing and beautiful natural bush settings. They could join up at one of those and wander down there when they have a couple of hours to kill. They have excellent practise facilities and also bistro's, or whatever, in the clubhouses, for lunch. The Goddards and Fishers etc. would have a ball.
They could always practise goalkicking. :roll:
:idea:

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
if AW ever put up the podcast you can listen for yourselves- taken in context not blatant as a whinge as being suggested- Just part of the overall niggles that were building at the start of the year.... But the interviewer - as many have- took that part of the interview - the journo has also only spoken of that comment..Raph actually did quite well.
but given one interviewer couldn't remember who the St Kilda Captain was don't necesarily think they can stick the facetious responses in too far

some of the Players have already moved down that way or further- or already lived in the area- so drive home after a night game would be almost as far as some country supporters do-
it was on sport 927 and the podcast is up. it was not taken out of context. that was what Raph said!!!

Winmar
Club Player

I didn't read it as a whinge, more a recollection that the players weren't entirely happy earlier in the year, before realising they needed to harden TF up. To be honest I wouldn't be happy either if I lived near my place of work, but the organisation decided to move that far down the road.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

correct saintly I was wrong

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

that's embarrassing then

looks like a change in attitude (stopped acting like a bunch of primaddonas) coincided with a change in form

who'd da funk it

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/h ... 6126990307

ST KILDA midfielder Farren Ray has rejected suggestions that a need to accept the club's isolated Seaford training complex was a factor in the team's revival.
Ray's teammate Raphael Clarke said earlier this week that a vow from the players to stop whingeing about their new headquarters had kick-started the turnaround.

But Ray said that the Saints' return to form was instigated by hard work.

"I think the whole Seaford thing has been blown out of proportion to be honest,'' Ray told Triple M.

"I think when we started thinking, 'It's all about us' and once we started training harder and getting Monday to Friday right, I think that's when it started happening.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gee
hmm
lets see

loading and unloading shipping containers full of piss
or
playing footy, eating training and relaxing

tough choice
rough gig
:roll:

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't matter what any of us think should be the players' attitude towards training at Seaford: Raph's comment indicates that it's quite clearly an issue for them and the club will need to address it or it will be in trouble.

Modern day footballers are prima donnas. Operatic prima donnas (the late great Maria Callas being perhaps the prime example) are known to demand all sorts of unreasonable things or else they won't sing. Childish, silly, selfish - call it whatever you like - but the story always ends the same way: you have to give in to their demands, or they don't sing.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

meher baba wrote:It doesn't matter what any of us think should be the players' attitude towards training at Seaford: Raph's comment indicates that it's quite clearly an issue for them and the club will need to address it or it will be in trouble.

Modern day footballers are prima donnas. Operatic prima donnas (the late great Maria Callas being perhaps the prime example) are known to demand all sorts of unreasonable things or else they won't sing. Childish, silly, selfish - call it whatever you like - but the story always ends the same way: you have to give in to their demands, or they don't sing.
Stan Alves had it right.

If they don't want to embrace the club, warts and all, we're better off without them.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.