Collingwood 2011 Vs St Kilda 2009

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood 2011 Vs St Kilda 2009

They are miles ahead of our team 2009 due to depth.

Don't kid yourself, the Pies have cruised to many victories often below full strength. We didn't have that depth in 2009.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Collingwood 2011 Vs St Kilda 2009

saintspremiers wrote:They are miles ahead of our team 2009 due to depth.

Don't kid yourself, the Pies have cruised to many victories often below full strength. We didn't have that depth in 2009.
Not convinced they do have anyone to cover Tarrant, Tarrant was covering Brown.

I suppose Goldsack stays in when Shaw returns if he doesn't come up.

However yes, they have plenty of depth in small to medium sizers.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

they just got buried by close to a 100 points by geelong.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Collingwood 2011 Vs St Kilda 2009

Betting fiasco...I hope the AFL investigate this.... :P

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
robbie muir
Club Player

I don't remember us losing by 96 points in 2009.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

people are trying to find reasons why we are s*** and why everyone else is better.

I think they prefer it when we were winning wooden spoons and all the 30 year old players used to come to st kilda for a retirement year.

SHUT UP KRIME!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Of Course Collingwood are better then us in 2009.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote:I don't remember us losing by 96 points in 2009.
The Cats lost by a similar margin v Filth in 07

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'm not so sure about depth, Daisy Thomas missing makes a big difference...he'll be missing next week too. Dawes is under-done, they have key injuries in their backline, and I'm not so sure Shaw is going to drop back in smoothly. Of course, we aren't perfect at the moment either, and we'll see how the Pies pull up next week. I still can't see West Coast doing much, but all of the above adds an interesting twist to what would seem a dead rubber finals campaign for the Pies.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

This emphasises the importance of Thomas, Shaw and Leon Davis .. their dynamic half back line.
O'Brien looked like he was shellshocked too without the dynamic trio plus Maxwell back there.

No dynamic half back line (their trio missing or not at full strength)= no Collingwood.

Their half back line + Cloke is what sets Collingwood apart - Swan and Pendlebury don't provide anywhere near the run and carry of their damaging half back line.

To beat Collingwood (at full strength) you need above all to stop/subdue their run and carry from half back which requires plenty of forward pressure and requires aiming for 40 forward tackles... and you better include some quick chasing forwards.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 03 Sep 2011 8:55am, edited 1 time in total.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
robbie muir wrote:I don't remember us losing by 96 points in 2009.
The Cats lost by a similar margin v Filth in 07
2008 actually. The Cats only loss until the GF

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:This emphasises the importance of Thomas, Shaw and Leon Davis .. their dynamic half back line.
O'Brien looked like he was shellshocked too without the dynamic trio plus Maxwell back there.

No dynamic half back line (their trio missing or not at full strength)= no Collingwood.

Their half back line + Cloke is what sets Collingwood apart - Swan and Pendlebury don't provide anywhere near the run and carry of their damaging half back line.

To beat Collingwood (at full strength) you need above all to stop/subdue their run and carry from half back which requires plenty of forward pressure and requires aiming for 40 forward tackles... and you better include some quick chasing forwards.
Yes. Good analysis. And on the last point, we actually did that in our Round 21 game. Alas, our backline (one in particular) gave the ball back in the midfield which was the difference at the end of the game. As Geelong showed last night, if you keep the ball, Collingwood don't have too many players who can take it off you. But if you hand it to them, then it will be a certain goal.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
samoht wrote:This emphasises the importance of Thomas, Shaw and Leon Davis .. their dynamic half back line.

Yes. Good analysis. And on the last point, we actually did that in our Round 21 game. Alas, our backline (one in particular) gave the ball back in the midfield which was the difference at the end of the game. As Geelong showed last night, if you keep the ball, Collingwood don't have too many players who can take it off you. But if he hand it to them, then it will be a certain goal.
100 point thrashing isn't due to 3 players.

They are players they make mistakes. The pies hassled st kilda into making mistakes, our attack at the ball forced them into making mistakes.

People are so quick to undervalue our performance against them a few weeks ago.

They will be rattled by this make no bones.

WCE will hit them hard.

Geelong have lost a lot a bit of talent but they are rising when they were supposed to die.

Don't undervalue the effect of RL or our players passion, although we lost by 4 goals, I think st kilda took more out of the game against collingwood than they did.

For so long the collingwood premiership was a forgone conclusion. THe pies are now looking behind them hoping that someone else takes out sydney, st kilda and Geelong with a bit of fear.

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
perfectionist wrote:

Yes. Good analysis. And on the last point, we actually did that in our Round 21 game. Alas, our backline (one in particular) gave the ball back in the midfield which was the difference at the end of the game. As Geelong showed last night, if you keep the ball, Collingwood don't have too many players who can take it off you. But if he hand it to them, then it will be a certain goal.
100 point thrashing isn't due to 3 players.

They are players they make mistakes. The pies hassled st kilda into making mistakes, our attack at the ball forced them into making mistakes.

People are so quick to undervalue our performance against them a few weeks ago.

They will be rattled by this make no bones.

WCE will hit them hard.

Geelong have lost a lot a bit of talent but they are rising when they were supposed to die.

Don't undervalue the effect of RL or our players passion, although we lost by 4 goals, I think st kilda took more out of the game against collingwood than they did.

For so long the collingwood premiership was a forgone conclusion. THe pies are now looking behind them hoping that someone else takes out sydney, st kilda and Geelong with a bit of fear.
If you really think that was a true 100 point thrashing then you and everyone else who believes that should now have the pies completely out of the premiership race. I rate that loss as about as important as our loss to Adelaide last round last year. Even though it was a much bigger margin the game meant nothing for the pies. Zero. Geelong were struggling a bit and once they got on a role and there was no fight from the pies the margin blew out. I expect the Pies to beat WCE by about 10 goals next week and then we will completely forget this game. After a 100 defeat I would think you would be thinking the exact opposite result as the pies are again playing a top 4 side coming off 100 point loss. Anyway I get no joy with Geelong being inform because I still think we are more likely to play them before the pies if we get over Sydney next week.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I think- the game meant a fair bit to Collingwood but they lost the all important run and carry from their half back line.(with Thomas, Shaw and Davis missing)- plus Maxwell makes 4 important players out of their backline.

The backline is clearly what sets Collingwood apart - let there be no doubt now.

Also ..O'Brien looked scared and wasn't anywhere as effective as usual without the usual support.
What semblance remained of their backline was under attack and wilted...and finally capitulated.

At full strength their backline (with the run and carry) probably adds 8 goals to their score and stops 8 goals from being scored against them - a 16 goal turnaround from last night.

If they had last nights backline (over the season) .. Collingwood would probably be sitting outside the 8 - with 10 wins and a percentage below 100%.

To beat the Pies you need to subdue tackle and chase the heck out of their halfbackline - but they didn't have that weapon to use against the Cats anyway.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well they won't have Thomas next week either, Shaw will be back after missing 8 weeks, Leon will have to face finals football again, and I'm not convinced Maxwell will come back.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well they won't have Thomas next week either, Shaw will be back after missing 8 weeks, Leon will have to face finals football again, and I'm not convinced Maxwell will come back.
And thats why I think they will onlt win by 10 goals next week.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Well they won't have Thomas next week either, Shaw will be back after missing 8 weeks, Leon will have to face finals football again, and I'm not convinced Maxwell will come back.
Even if Davis fails in the finals .. they still have the core group (at the next stage of the finals) of
Shaw , Thomas, Johnson and O'Brien who gave them plenty of run and carry last year.

Maxwell (if he doesn't return) will be a loss.

They will get back to a near full strength backline -but they will need to fight hard for the flag this year - it's no longer a foregone conclusion and hopefully their backline remains unsettled.
:D 8-)

sainterjo
Club Player

Blow, blow, blow a goat
'Cos you're Collingwood
Footy's great when you are crap
And awful when you're good.

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.