Offical "Retirements", Delistings, Trades - 2011/1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Offical "Retirements", Delistings, Trades - 2011/1

Retirements
- Gardiner
- McQualter

Pushed
- Eddy
- Baker

Delistings
none

Trades
none

All news for retirements, delistings and trades can be posted here and will be updated over the summer.
Last edited by SaintSimmo on Tue 13 Sep 2011 10:42am, edited 3 times in total.

Sainter for life.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Blake was last off and was looking around the ground. So i would expect him to retire.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
vacuous space
SS Life Member

What's the word on Eddy and McQualter? Those are slightly odd retirements. Mini's 25 and was BOG in half the games he played for Sandy. I would have thought he would have been (at least) a very handy VFLer. Eddy's only 23.

There are plenty of mature aged players finding some level of success. Lower, Callinan and Duigan this year. Broughton, jPod and others in recent years. Another team coming in. Several bad teams down the bottom in desperate need of some character. Seems a strange time to be quitting.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:What's the word on Eddy and McQualter? Those are slightly odd retirements. Mini's 25 and was BOG in half the games he played for Sandy. I would have thought he would have been (at least) a very handy VFLer. Eddy's only 23.

There are plenty of mature aged players finding some level of success. Lower, Callinan and Duigan this year. Broughton, jPod and others in recent years. Another team coming in. Several bad teams down the bottom in desperate need of some character. Seems a strange time to be quitting.
I think they knew they weren't up to it.....there are kidders and realists in life
and these 2 are realists.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
mick13
Club Player

Eddy made a Tweet saying he hadn't retired.

Strange situation.

Winmar
Club Player

I take it as a nice way of saying they're being delisted.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:What's the word on Eddy and McQualter? Those are slightly odd retirements. Mini's 25 and was BOG in half the games he played for Sandy. I would have thought he would have been (at least) a very handy VFLer. Eddy's only 23.

I overheard Mini talking about the money available in the EFL at Sandy early in the year. Got to admire a man who knows his limitations, probably got three more years than he should have. He may still play VFL.

Eddy knows its over and I have always liked his attitude. Just not quite up to AFL level, like about half a dozen who played tonight.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

I overheard Mini talking about the money available in the EFL at Sandy early in the year. Got to admire a man who knows his limitations, probably got three more years than he should have. He may still play VFL.

Eddy knows its over and I have always liked his attitude. Just not quite up to AFL level, like about half a dozen who played tonight.
Robeddy40 Rob Eddy
Thanks for your support... but let me make it clear, I did not retire! I am 23 and feel like i still have a lot to give at AFL level..

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:[Mini] probably got three more years than he should have.
I don't think Dean Polo's VFL form was noticably better than Mini's when Polo got into the team. Either Ross had mentally written off Mini by that point or he preferred Polo's size. Or his glove. Mini certainly turns the ball over less.

This seems to be the way with Ross though. He maintains integrity in the selection process by randomly delisting players who are close to selection.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

mick13 wrote:Eddy made a Tweet saying he hadn't retired.

Strange situation.
Reckon Ross Lyon messed up and meant they will be delisted... Obviously if Rob wants to continue his career he needs to clear things up but id say he has been told he is no longer required.

thequarry
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:Blake was last off and was looking around the ground. So i would expect him to retire.
Noticed this as well and that was my first thought.

I might have this wrong but it seemed that before Ross gathered the players together a few players seemed to be around one or two guys and patting him/them on the back - maybe I'm just totally misreading something, I was in a St Kilda pocket at the other end of the ground.

noreason41
Club Player

stkildathunda wrote:
mick13 wrote:Eddy made a Tweet saying he hadn't retired.

Strange situation.
Reckon Ross Lyon messed up and meant they will be delisted... Obviously if Rob wants to continue his career he needs to clear things up but id say he has been told he is no longer required.
Yeah, that's what i thought....I think he glorified delisting them and thanked them for their service over the last 4 years while he's been coach.

Probably thinks their a bit unlucky to not have a premiership medallion.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eddy may indeed have a future at AFL level, maybe for Port or Melbourne, they could do with his grunt and effort.

Sainterman
Club Player

What is with Bakes writing this on Facebook?

"Thanks for all of the messages of support. I would also like to make it clear that I did not retire."

Strange days at the Saints!

thequarry
Club Player

Sainterman wrote:What is with Bakes writing this on Facebook?

"Thanks for all of the messages of support. I would also like to make it clear that I did not retire."

Strange days at the Saints!
At this rate, perhaps to the "Retirements"/"Delistings"/"Trades" categories we should have "Retirements, but said they didn't retire" in its own right.

Legendary
Club Player

Blake has signed with GWS for 12 months.

Wasn't going to be offered another contract by the Saints, and GWS need some experienced defenders.

Source: excellent (can't reveal yet).

Should be announced in the next 3 weeks.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Blake has signed with GWS for 12 months.

Wasn't going to be offered another contract by the Saints, and GWS need some experienced defenders.

:!:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The problem with that theory is that if we dont delist him that counts as our player to GWS so they cant then get BJ when his contract finishes next season unless he goes in the preseason draft.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Blake was last off and was looking around the ground. So i would expect him to retire.
On game 199. Not fair, but likely.

Legendary
Club Player

Blake's decision in mutual agreement with the Saints and no hard feelings by either party (from what my source says).

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ok, well need to change the op
bakes and eddy have not retired :?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

doesn't sound like he is

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8297141
The Saints farewelled Michael Gardiner, Andrew McQualter, Robert Eddy and Steven Baker immediately after Saturday night's game and clearly must refresh their playing list.

But Blake is upbeat about the immediate future, saying they had several talented youngsters who would have more chances at senior level.

"We've got some talent," Blake said.

"It's going to be exciting for them to come in and get an opportunity to play, to see what they're made of.

"Nick Riewoldt, Stephen Milne, those guys, they've given all they can - we need these guys to really step up."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Was that supposed to have been Bakes and not Blake ?? :shock:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Rosco
Club Player

I know he's long gone but didn't want to start a new thread, Brisbane have confirmed that they've delisted Xavier Clarke.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx (last few paragraphs)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:I know he's long gone but didn't want to start a new thread, Brisbane have confirmed that they've delisted Xavier Clarke.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx (last few paragraphs)
Probably always on the cards given his injury problems but sad news nonetheless.

Good luck for the future X.