Coach rating.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Coach rating.

if you set a coaching score based on the following:

Onfield results (w/l) 50
Player development 20
Marketing 10
Trading/recruting 20

I would say Ross gets 40+ 0 + 5 +10

Gives him 65/100

Thats a pretty good score - but should be shooting for a 75-80.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

He should havce some points for player development. Steven, Big Ben, have come along nicely, and the first yearers all look promising.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:He should havce some points for player development. Steven, Big Ben, have come along nicely, and the first yearers all look promising.
He has been there 5 years and we only had 4 players under 25 in our squad in our first final. 2 of those 4 played poorly. Thats a 0.

alex_quick

con, your addition is a little off there mate. you only gave him 55, not 65 :p

personlly i think 55 is generous given his list development/recruitment of youth. any chance we could bring in malthouse for 2013? i'd like to think that he will hold a grudge against the pies after being forced out.

Middo
Club Player

Re: Coach rating.

Con Gorozidis wrote:if you set a coaching score based on the following:

Onfield results (w/l) 50
Player development 20
Marketing 10
Trading/recruting 20

I would say Ross gets 40+ 0 + 5 +10

Gives him 65/100

Thats a pretty good score - but should be shooting for a 75-80.
Sheesh make a post and you still F*** it up , or should that be can't add up ..? Not real bright are you.? 55 FFS... Ps reckon Ross Lyon gets the job for as long as he wants it . :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Onfield results (w/l) 50
Player development 20
Marketing 10
Trading/recruting 20

I would say Ross gets 25+ 10 + 5 + 10
poor year by him and us.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Middo
Club Player

With Nick Dal Santo being the only big name player to stand up this year after Lenny went down I wonder if any other coach could have gotten anymore out of this team.? All our top line player's were poor and yet we are rating the coach because Rooey , Goddard , Joey , Gilbert and many others have had a bad year..? Give the bloke a break .. :roll: :roll:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

alex_quick wrote:con, your addition is a little off there mate. you only gave him 55, not 65 :p

personlly i think 55 is generous given his list development/recruitment of youth. any chance we could bring in malthouse for 2013? i'd like to think that he will hold a grudge against the pies after being forced out.
true. 55/100. not that good. I guess we should look for 70-75 on this scale as an excellent mark.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:With Nick Dal Santo being the only big name player to stand up this year after Lenny went down I wonder if any other coach could have gotten anymore out of this team.? All our top line player's were poor and yet we are rating the coach because Rooey , Goddard , Joey , Gilbert and many others have had a bad year..? Give the bloke a break .. :roll: :roll:
so what is your alternative rating system?
you are saying - we played poorly so its not the coaches fault because he was just un unfortunate victim of us not playing well.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Please inform me what AFL coach would have got his team into the finals with the following against him.

1 - The teams number one ruckman playing one game

2- Losing one of there top 3 midfielders for the season in round 2

3- The clubs FF and ruckmen missing over half the season.

4- Key backman missing almost half a season

5- Captain CHF and best player carrying a knee injury

Not to mention the injuries to any of his promising young kids as he played them.

Lyon was fantastic this year and is easily number one in the league.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Middo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Middo wrote:With Nick Dal Santo being the only big name player to stand up this year after Lenny went down I wonder if any other coach could have gotten anymore out of this team.? All our top line player's were poor and yet we are rating the coach because Rooey , Goddard , Joey , Gilbert and many others have had a bad year..? Give the bloke a break .. :roll: :roll:
so what is your alternative rating system?
you are saying - we played poorly so its not the coaches fault because he was just un unfortunate victim of us not playing well.
Just saying I think he got the best out of a team that had issue's from the last two grand finals and that our top end players struggled.We had injuries to some of the young guys and Ross kept alive the chance of one more crack at a finals series.Some on here want him gone for not giving this guy a go or that guy a go but at the end of the day he has kept us in the finals for the 4th year running and I expect him to give it his all next year with a group of guys ready to reload and have one last crack. My rating would be 75..
Last edited by Middo on Mon 12 Sep 2011 3:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Not interested in some meaningless rating system.

All I know is "he's a keeper" 8-)

Sainterman
Club Player

Of all the post match threads I have read this is by far the most ridiculous.

Firstly, who decides on this rating system and the break down of categories? Secondly, how on earth would anyone not involved at the club know enough about how RL has gone with Marketing and Player Development? What were the goals to begin with?? I would think Ben McEvoy and Jack Steven alone would be some indication of development.

Usually employees have KPI's. Does the OP have any idea of what these were?? I would think not. Mighty hard to then rate someone based on a view totally from the outside with some randomly determined criteria to suit a poster disgruntled with the coach.

If we lose RL we are in big trouble but I think he will stay on and help rebuild.

Post a loss this place really is farcical at times. Same old posters posting the same old crap. Boring and predictable really.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Better judges than anyone that post here rate Lyon in the top 4 coaches in the league. That will do me!!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Ross is the person that's going to be the glue that holds everything together within the entire Football Department during what will be a difficult trading period and the run in to next year.

No need for a performance rating system. Whilst not a perfect performance this year, Ross is clearly a "must keep" for the next few years to bed down the re-generation phase.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I still maintain that keeping a coach should have nothing to do with reward or punishment for the past.

Having a great year, in isolation, doesn't mean anything.

Having a bad year, in isolation, doesn't either.

It's all about what they will do. And of course, past history is the best guide to that.

So, can Ross Lyon learn to coach a team that scores? Can he build a list that can attack, and defend? Can he grab a bunch of kids and turn them into the nucleus of a great side in 4-5 years time?

Really, in my opinion, there's nothing to suggest that he can. There's nothing concrete to suggest he can't either.

So the coach's job for mine, is a real curly one.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

What has happened to my life?

Reading posts like this one really highlight it for me…

Con's posts rated for:

Relevance 20
Accuracy 30
Humour 20
Absurdity 30

I rate Con 3 + 1 + 5 + 30 = 39/100
Not too bad I spose…

God, is there cricket on or something?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:What has happened to my life?

Reading posts like this one really highlight it for me…

Con's posts rated for:

Relevance 20
Accuracy 30
Humour 20
Absurdity 30

I rate Con 3 + 1 + 5 + 30 = 39/100
Not too bad I spose…

God, is there cricket on or something?
Welcome to the post season wasteland...give it a few months and it'll be the usual half a dozen slugging it out of obscure subjects. I must say, the post-match trauma I expected to see has died down quicker than I thought...what can you say, I guess???

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Please inform me what AFL coach would have got his team into the finals with the following against him.

Not to mention the injuries to any of his promising young kids as he played them.

A broadly similar list of problems was also experienced by the Hawks this year and they finished further up the table than us.

And our club made the finals in 2006 and reached a PF in 2005 with broadly similar injury problems: although, of course, those injury problems were all GT's fault because of his throwaway comment about "training services" and since we got Misson we don't get lots of injury problems in a season any more....... :?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Please inform me what AFL coach would have got his team into the finals with the following against him.

A broadly similar list of problems was also experienced by the Hawks this year and they finished further up the table than us.

And our club made the finals in 2006 and reached a PF in 2005 with broadly similar injury problems: although, of course, those injury problems were all GT's fault because of his throwaway comment about "training services" and since we got Misson we don't get lots of injury problems in a season any more....... :?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
spert
Saintsational Legend

Simple maths for this one:
RL+ ladder position+ distance from Moorabbin to Seaford= Rating
R= 18th letter in the alphabet, L is the 12th= 30. We finished 6th so add that to 30= 36, Moorabbin to Seaford=20.7km, added to 36= 56.7%

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sainterman wrote:Of all the post match threads I have read this is by far the most ridiculous.

Firstly, who decides on this rating system and the break down of categories? Secondly, how on earth would anyone not involved at the club know enough about how RL has gone with Marketing and Player Development? What were the goals to begin with?? I would think Ben McEvoy and Jack Steven alone would be some indication of development.

Usually employees have KPI's. Does the OP have any idea of what these were?? I would think not. Mighty hard to then rate someone based on a view totally from the outside with some randomly determined criteria to suit a poster disgruntled with the coach.

If we lose RL we are in big trouble but I think he will stay on and help rebuild.

Post a loss this place really is farcical at times. Same old posters posting the same old crap. Boring and predictable really.
Well marketing is scored on attendances , media image and entertainment value. All very transparent to the average joe. I can't believe people think we are doing ok at player development. 2 decent players under 25 in our team. This is very apparent and clear to the average joe also. Are u telling me player development is been going well? And ur calling me an idiot. Just hilarious. the cats have 2 flags and have a stack more kids in their side. But hey maybe something is happening behind closed doors huh.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Not interested in some meaningless rating system.

All I know is "he's a keeper" 8-)
Yes sorry for the rating system. Ill just go back to blind faith.
He's not your wife you know.

Sainterman
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sainterman wrote:Of all the post match threads I have read this is by far the most ridiculous.

Well marketing is scored on attendances , media image and entertainment value. All very transparent to the average joe. I can't believe people think we are doing ok at player development. 2 decent players under 25 in our team. This is very apparent and clear to the average joe also. Are u telling me player development is been going well? And ur calling me an idiot. Just hilarious. the cats have 2 flags and have a stack more kids in their side. But hey maybe something is happening behind closed doors huh.
We could easily have 2 flags too. Some things are just pure luck.

And you are rating everything on the coach, and the coach only. We may as well get rid of the rest of the footy department. So according to you RL is responsible for attendance, media image and entertainment value? Sheesh, don't think you have been around too many footy clubs. So yeah, not calling you an idiot but do find the OP quite idiotic really.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Err no. I'm saying the coaches contribution in those area gets a scorem even if he's only 2 per cent involved in those things u can score that involvement.
Bag me all day long but nooone has come up with any better system apart from blind faith.
And are u telling me we played a good brand of footy or did well with youth development?
And this rating refers to 2011 so ur comments on almost winning flags are just not relevant.
But yeah I'm an idiot ill just got back to blind faith and in ross we trustm cos that's helpful.
A more helpful criticism from u blokes would have been that I should have done the score on a 3 year period in which case he clearlyy would score much higherbut all u wanted to do was bag me.