Play Riewoldt down back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ajer
Club Player

Play Riewoldt down back?

Hear me out on this one. He clearly aint a forwards arsehole at the moment, but do you think there is some potential playing him at full back or half back or something?

His general kicking around is very good, he is the best contested marking player in the AFL and he can read the ball in the air better than any other player in the league i know. He is a big body and i really think he could take his game to a new level down back.

What are peoples thoughts?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

It really is mad monday!!

saint4life
alex_quick

very interesting suggestion mate, i was actually thinking about something even more dramatic over the weekend. obviously it was a very disappointing season from nick in 2011, probably the worst of his career. so personally i would be open to see the club trade him IF the right player/s would be coming into the club. he is past his prime in my opinion so we should be looking towards the future of the club.

it is painfully hard for me to even entertain such thoughts, but sadly i think roo's career is on a downhill slide :cry:

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

My brother has said the same thing to me that he would be one of the best CHB's in the comp. I think he is best suited on the wing.

But, you can argue that he would serve better down back. Kicking for goal wouldn't be an issue, his field kicking is generally pretty good. Would be one on one or even a loose man down there, wouldn't be monstered by two, three defenders.

We definitely wouldn't be so one dimensional going forward. It could release BJ to play more as a fwd, or even Sam Fisher, Kosi, Siposs, Walsh.

My concern with Roo is that he has never really hit his straps after coming back from his hammy injury, and he might not, I hope he does, obviously, but I just don't know whether he can get to that same level.

This is off topic but sort of comes back to saints fwdline, but does anyone else think its strange that Dawes hasn't signed yet with the filth? Will we make a play for him or is that GWS territory?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad suggestion really. It worked for Tarrant.

Ajer
Club Player

Good question about Dawes. Unsure if GWS are circling or if he is about to sign for the Pies or what, but he'd look great in our forward line. He is a great mark, a great kick at goal and is still only young.

As for the poster who said we look at trading Roo. I couldn't disagree more, sure he has had a s*** season this year and his kicking at goal proving fatal many times, but he bleeds red white and black and is the face of our membership campaigns.

The move down back would revitalise him i reckon and i seriously reckon he would become one of the best half backs in the league.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Certainly worth a thought.

The forward line was a shambles most of 2011 and the "kick-it-to-Roo" gameplan is well past its use by date. We can't go into 2012 with the same old trick that has been exposed time and time again.

rexy
SS Life Member

Just get his knee right and let him do what he does IMO.

Maybe this year?
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Right. Let's see. Sign Dawes and play Riewoldt down back ?

Can I have some of what you guys are all having?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints 2012
Club Player

He belongs at CHF/Midfield where he can create goals rather than being responsible for kicking them. Riewoldt is obviously way down on confidence and has the burden of carrying the team. His current role is too 1 dimensional. Everyone knows no one can keep up with his running capabilities. Get him fully fit and release him to the space of CHF & midfield where he cause the most damage and have the biggest impact for the team.

Same goes for Goddard, wasted down back getting easy uncontested kicks which them go to the wing or midfield.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:It really is mad monday!!
:lol: Indeed! :D

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!