Gilbert contracted to GWS would you do this?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Gilbert contracted to GWS would you do this?

With GWS able to pre list 4 17 year olds and on trade them over the next 2 years for contracted players .

Would take one of these for Gilbert if offered in a heart beat. Gilbert attacks the ball well and run is great but foot disposal is poor.

Thoughts?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

And our first draft pick to get O'Meara

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yes

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

+1

alex_quick

probably, yeah.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

shrink the avatar

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:And our first draft pick to get O'Meara
This.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont know about using our first draft pick. Would be different if O'Meara could play for us this year, but he cant play until 2013.

Maybe we could offer multiple players. Such as Gilbert and Dawson, Gilbert and Gram. etc.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I dont know about using our first draft pick. Would be different if O'Meara could play for us this year, but he cant play until 2013.

Maybe we could offer multiple players. Such as Gilbert and Dawson, Gilbert and Gram. etc.

Why cant he play?

Too young?

I thought we were drafting him

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert was instrumental in 2009.

Really good last year.

Average this year.

But when he did play well, it made us look like a different team. I reckon it's more important to try to improve him, than to flick him.

Rosco
Club Player

does anyone think that they will realistically give up the #1 mini-draft selection for gilbert? plus pick 19 (or whatever we get)?

i reckon they'll be asking for more, and other clubs will be offering more.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Gilbert was instrumental in 2009.

Really good last year.

Average this year.

But when he did play well, it made us look like a different team. I reckon it's more important to try to improve him, than to flick him.
Makes sense.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Spinner, my understanding it that the 4 x 17 yr old mini draft, there is a condition that the kids cant be played for 12 mon ths. Makes no sense at all to me, when you think Harvs started at 16, Tim Watson at 15 etc. And some of these kids are playing senior footy now.

Sainterman
Club Player

We all seem to assume GWS, but I think Gold Coast may have some interest too...

Gilbert has currency out there, probably a bit underrated on this site. Yeah his disposal can be iffy, but he certainly has a number of positive attributes.

If we are to reinvent our list we will have to give something to get something.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Spinner, my understanding it that the 4 x 17 yr old mini draft, there is a condition that the kids cant be played for 12 mon ths. Makes no sense at all to me, when you think Harvs started at 16, Tim Watson at 15 etc. And some of these kids are playing senior footy now.
The game has changed, it's a lot harder now than it was when Harvery debuted... yes there are less punches thrown, but the tackles hit with twice the force.

I am glad that they have changed the rules in recent years, you now have to at least turn 18 in the year of your debut otherwise you are ineligible to play.

TBH I think it is also worth considering lifting the age to 21, not saying that they should or shouldn't, but it should atleast be investigated.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:does anyone think that they will realistically give up the #1 mini-draft selection for gilbert? plus pick 19 (or whatever we get)?

they can't use their 4 17 year old selections they must be traded away or lost, So it's a case whoever offers the vest gets it, and I doubt many clubs if any at all will offer better than gilbo and pick 19 for a 17 year old

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Rosco wrote:does anyone think that they will realistically give up the #1 mini-draft selection for gilbert? plus pick 19 (or whatever we get)?

they can't use their 4 17 year old selections they must be traded away or lost, So it's a case whoever offers the vest gets it, and I doubt many clubs if any at all will offer better than gilbo and pick 19 for a 17 year old
Yep but Rosco is right. That wont be enough for one of these 17 year olds especially as they have 2 years to get rid of them.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

The more I think about the more I would prefer to work on his skills and fitness improving than trading him.

He was incredible in 2009, easily the most improved player in the comp. Last year he started to decline after a great first half - he hasn't been the same since then really but if he could find that again - I honestly thnk its a confidence thing. He needs to play some crap teams to get his confidence up and then when he plays the good team, he might be less prone to making a mistake.

I just think (like always) we're trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Gilbert was instrumental in 2009.

Really good last year.

Average this year.

I agree. Gilbo in form is a very good player. There are players and superstars like Roo and Dal that can motivate themselves and then there are B and C graders that need the support of their teammates and assistant coaches and most importantly the belief and external motivation from a senior coach for them to be at their best...I reckon that sums up Gilbo.

The player leadership has been fantastic in entrusting the coach and selection committe with team lists, game day instructions and game plans, so Ross and his assistants need to fulfil their end. Its the coaches job to get these B and C graders motivated. Get them doing drills that'll give them enough confidence to convince themselves mentally prepared.

The game plan along with Rooeys knee and Kozzi not available for heaps of matches this yr could have a bit to do with the lack of confidence from players like Gilbo. How deflating is it if you've worked your butt off to get the ball forward and you see countless inside 50 chances go to waste. Last Saturdays match was typical of the efforts going to waste when it was speared to Milney one on one. Milney struggled to get into the game and the ball was quickly sent back up to the Swans forward line.

The players have listened to the instructions of the coach and the players have followed the game plan, but I reckon the balance betwen attack and defence is not right.

Ross stated at the start of the year that Gilbo would play at bit more up forward...I'm sure we all thought at the time that this wasn't a bad idae and having another forward option was only going to improve the side. What happened? If Gilbo wasn't prepared to play the role, why didn't Ross put Dawson there or BJ as a permanent forward. We all saw how good BJ was as a forward target when Roo did his hammie last yr.

How much planning goes into the attacking plays verses the defensive structures. How many attacking, goal kicking drills are talked about and planned versus the tactics and shutting-down of key players in the opposition. The preparation needs to change in my mind and the targets up forward need to be better defined.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

Freo will give up more for O'mera ... They desperately want him

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The player leadership has been fantastic in entrusting the coach and selection committe with team lists, game day instructions and game plans

huh the players allow Ross lyon and the coaches to do their job mighty generous of them

Scollop wrote:We all saw how good BJ was as a forward target when Roo did his hammie last yr.
We all saw this year that Goddard can go through very quiet patches up forward, and leave a huge whole in the half back flank/midfield while up there.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The issue I've got with Gilbo is that his ideal position is HBF and he has poor disposal which hurts us.

We have a plethora of players that can play on the HBF to a similar if not better standard... off the top of my head:
Goddard, Fisher, Clarke, Gwilt, Gram to name a few. I also think Ray should play HBF and it may save his career but that's a different topic

Now they can't all play there and we cna't have a team of quasi HBF playing all positions across the ground.

HBF is the easiest position on the ground and we're entering a stage now where your HBF NEED to provide run, drive as well as defend.

Is Sam Gilbert the player that can do that best?

My answer is no

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he is a midfielder.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I reckon he is a midfielder.
This is about Sam Gilbert not Lenny.

jays
Club Player

gilbert is contracted next year