Should Lenny retire?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Should Lenny retire?

I mean the end of an era and all, we are probably 4-5 years off challenging again, two knee reco's, who knows how he will come back.

Lenny has been a great player for the Saints but is his time up? Should he be allowed to ship off to GWS, get some coin, and retire which will allow us to try to develop "the next Lenny".

I know this is sacreligious, and I will be attacked, however hard decisions need to be made.

This would be one of the hardest.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages to this strategy, but I would be interested in what you guys think.

Please try not to give a one word answer. I definitely understand an EMPHATIC NO, but i would like to hear your reason why we should keep Lenny instead of developing youngsters.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Lenny is the heart and soul of the club.

Would you sell your soul for some coin, joffaboy?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Ajer
Club Player

Na i disagree. I think he has another year or two left in him, even with this knee injury. Even if he doesnt return to his best form, he always goes in hard and gives 100% every single time, plus his leadership out on the field is exceptional.

Richter
SS Life Member

No.

Window still open.
Great clubman who deserves to play (like Harv.s) until his body definitely can go no further.
Will be under the Vets list (?already is) so should be able to earn well with us.
See Melbourne's folly of retiring James MacDonald a year too early - can upset the fabric of a club and who knows what potential that could have to undermine.
This team can still challenge with Lenny in it and the possible emergence of some new younger players over the next 2 years.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think he should. He is getting married in November and then going away for 6 weeks so he obviously has a change in priorities. He has just got a dog as well so he has to look after that.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I don;'t think Lenny would leave the Saints for anything? GWS could give him a blank cheque and say "Print any number you want on this paper and we'll pay you that a year" And Lenny would porbably still say no. He bleeds for our club.

Same applies to Roo, in fact.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:Lenny is the heart and soul of the club.

What soul. he was never a Saints fan, came from Sydney.

The guy is 32 next season, has two crook knees and will not be part of our next flag tilt.

We may get something for him and can develop a midfield spot with a youngster.

The guy will probably retire at the end of 2012, cant see him doing a Harvs.

Need to make tough decisions.

Do it for you dog Lenny.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:I don;'t think Lenny would leave the Saints for anything? GWS could give him a blank cheque and say "Print any number you want on this paper and we'll pay you that a year" And Lenny would porbably still say no. He bleeds for our club.

Same applies to Roo, in fact.
They all bleed for the club until the club or the player see the writing on the wall. Look at Mini, Bakes and Eddy. All happy to go to GWS as soon as the club saw the writing on the wall.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Prior injury he was in the best form of his career. Also consider that fact that he has now effectively sat out a total of three seasons with injuries, which reduces the total wear and tear on the body. I think he has another two elite seasons left in him as well as one or two as an impact backup mid. He doesn't rely on pace, which is usually first to go and his conditioning is just too damn good for him to struggle running out games. No way should he leave the saints so early, especially when he has so much to teach the likes of Armo, Steven, Ledger, Crocker and Cripps.

samwell
Club Player

Forgetting the debate about whether the window is open or closed.. I would imagine the club would lose quite a few members if they traded Lenny - at a time when we can't really afford to lose any.. I'd be one of them!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Prior injury he was in the best form of his career. Also consider that fact that he has now effectively sat out a total of three seasons with injuries, which reduces the total wear and tear on the body. I think he has another two elite seasons left in him as well as one or two as an impact backup mid. He doesn't rely on pace, which is usually first to go and his conditioning is just too damn good for him to struggle running out games. No way should he leave the saints so early, especially when he has so much to teach the likes of Armo, Steven, Ledger, Crocker and Cripps.
Great response

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samwell wrote:Forgetting the debate about whether the window is open or closed.. I would imagine the club would lose quite a few members if they traded Lenny - at a time when we can't really afford to lose any.. I'd be one of them!!
So you support a player over the club???

How did you cope when plugger left?

Lance or James??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
samwell wrote:Forgetting the debate about whether the window is open or closed.. I would imagine the club would lose quite a few members if they traded Lenny - at a time when we can't really afford to lose any.. I'd be one of them!!

Im still here.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:Lenny is the heart and soul of the club.

What soul. he was never a Saints fan, came from Sydney.

The guy is 32 next season, has two crook knees and will not be part of our next flag tilt.

We may get something for him and can develop a midfield spot with a youngster.

The guy will probably retire at the end of 2012, cant see him doing a Harvs.

Need to make tough decisions.

Do it for you dog Lenny.
Two crook knees? wtf I thought he had knee recos to fix them. :shock:

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
samwell
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

you're right

trade him

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think he should. He is getting married in November and then going away for 6 weeks so he obviously has a change in priorities. He has just got a dog as well so he has to look after that.
Who is Lenny getting married to? Molly Meldrum?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think he should. He is getting married in November and then going away for 6 weeks so he obviously has a change in priorities. He has just got a dog as well so he has to look after that.
He will also be busy with his new TV cooking show: Lunch with Lenny.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
GoTheTorp
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Sounds like shes ugly..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GoTheTorp wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Sounds like shes ugly..
No she isnt. She is fantastic.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Im still here.
I lol'ed

Getting back to your point from before plugger about EVERY player bleeding for the club, i get that, but I just have the feeling Lenny and Roo wouldn't want to play anywhere else.

I remember in 2004 or 05 whenever Jones played his last season, after he quit, Essendon or someone was trying to poach him and Jones said something like if he wasn't playing for St Kilda the next year, he wouldn't be playing at all.

Lenny to me, seems to be in a similar vein. Next year, he either plays for St Kilda or he doesn't play.

That's just my opinion of course. What would i know about what really goes through Lenny's mind?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Over 30 and two reco knees, no more midfield for him, I think it's time to move him into the forward line as we need a bit of grunt and attack on the opposition down there- would also be good for young guys like Siposs to have Lenny in the forward line.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

If he were to go to GWS I would be happy for him.

If he wants to stay and have one last real tilt at that elusive premiership then I would be more than happy to see him go around again in the next couple of years.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Lenny fills a role that we can't cover... same as Milne. He's not holding anyone back

It's different to say Baker who is holding a spot from a Geary

U leave Lenny and and bring in who?

Given the positives he brings, he has to stay

saintphantom
Club Player

spert wrote:Over 30 and two reco knees, no more midfield for him, I think it's time to move him into the forward line as we need a bit of grunt and attack on the opposition down there- would also be good for young guys like Siposs to have Lenny in the forward line.
With the service he has given the Club. He will be given the chance to go out on his own terms.

Lenny will know when that is.

Eric Bana Saints Supporter 'Says it all'

'big fucker passes it to the little Fucker, then back to the...f*** I hate it when they do that'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I found myself wondering in the last quarter v Sydney what amazingly uplifting thing Lenny would of done had he been out there.