Just a thought - Did Walls help Lyon - a theory.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter173

Just a thought - Did Walls help Lyon - a theory.....

Does anyone here reckon Robert Walls knew Ross Lyon was talking to Fremantle?

Walls mentioned publicly, whether on radio, in his column for The Age newspaper, and on Network 10 (particularly, One Week At A Time) - that Lyon should leave St Kilda for Melbourne for a multi million dollar deal - which is what many people thought was going to happen for weeks, even months. It got repeated so often in the media - no one considered Fremantle - in fact, the only other non-St Kilda deal that was mentioned publicly a couple of times, was Carlton.

I'm not a person for these theories - I just wonder if Walls did his friend, Lyon, a favour by publicly bringing up the concept of Lyon going to Melbourne.

At the same time, Lyon can use St Kilda and Melbourne to negotiate with Fremantle a 4 year, multi million dollar deal.

Compare roughly the public Melbourne option, and the private Fremantle deal:

Fremantle - No Schwab/Connolly, no financial issues, great list of young players, and a few older champions. Great resources.

Melbourne - Schwab/Connolly/power struggles, very raw group of players, player/administration issues, money situation questionable, etc.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, do you seriously think Ross Lyon did this deal all by himself without anyone knowing - surely someone was quietly advising and encouraging him to go to Western Australia. (And publicly putting out a red herring).

Just a thought ...... what do you think?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne is metaphor for Fremantle

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Whislt on the subject of conpiracies.-Was Lyon a Collingwood mole. Consider his treatment of Ball and Hudghton in 09 GF and subsequent departures.Also selections for GF replay 2010 i.e Eddy bad enough to delist but good enough to play injured in replay??In view of this weeks events I would put absolutely nothing beyond this PARASITE!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

One thing is puzzling, according to Freo and RL the first approach was Sept 4, then about a week later, the serious offer, all done in one night, then bang gone.
Now can anyone believe that Ross then suddenly went to his wife and kids and said, "Hey Guess what, we're all moving to Perth this weekend."
Somehow, I don't think his wife would be impressed, and that's why I have doubts on the timeline.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SteveStevens66
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:One thing is puzzling, according to Freo and RL the first approach was Sept 4, then about a week later, the serious offer, all done in one night, then bang gone.
Now can anyone believe that Ross then suddenly went to his wife and kids and said, "Hey Guess what, we're all moving to Perth this weekend."
Somehow, I don't think his wife would be impressed, and that's why I have doubts on the timeline.

Maybe the wife is one of his "role players." He tells her where she'll be playing and she just does it. No questions asked.

Carna Saints!!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Craig kelly on radio yesteday morning
http://www.radiosportnat.com.au/audiopl ... 129126.mp3

said he missed one clue- told Ross Tue or wed( before Thursday) of the saints offer.. ( saints heard nothing so would have been going into Thursday thinking he was thinking about it

But Ross had told ESP to 'sit on it'

so wednesday sees his team-
knows the saints have offered
contacts Freo to see what counter offer is
says yes to counter offer Thursday
and the rest is now history

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Craig kelly on radio yesteday morning
http://www.radiosportnat.com.au/audiopl ... 129126.mp3

said he missed one clue- told Ross Tue or wed( before Thursday) of the saints offer.. ( saints heard nothing so would have been going into Thursday thinking he was thinking about it

But Ross had told ESP to 'sit on it'

so wednesday sees his team-
knows the saints have offered
contacts Freo to see what counter offer is
says yes to counter offer Thursday
and the rest is now history
What about the supposed text message agreeing to the deal and the press conf on Thursday moring at 11am? That sounds NQR now.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Whislt on the subject of conpiracies.-Was Lyon a Collingwood mole. Consider his treatment of Ball and Hudghton in 09 GF and subsequent departures.Also selections for GF replay 2010 i.e Eddy bad enough to delist but good enough to play injured in replay??In view of this weeks events I would put absolutely nothing beyond this PARASITE!
I don't think he was a Collingwood mole but like a lot of people associated with Collingwood he is definitely a conniving c*n*

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:One thing is puzzling, according to Freo and RL the first approach was Sept 4, then about a week later, the serious offer, all done in one night, then bang gone.

Maybe the wife is one of his "role players." He tells her where she'll be playing and she just does it. No questions asked.

rosie185

Re: Just a thought - Did Walls help Lyon - a theory.....

sainter173 wrote:Does anyone here reckon Robert Walls knew Ross Lyon was talking to Fremantle?

Walls mentioned publicly, whether on radio, in his column for The Age newspaper, and on Network 10 (particularly, One Week At A Time) - that Lyon should leave St Kilda for Melbourne for a multi million dollar deal - which is what many people thought was going to happen for weeks, even months. It got repeated so often in the media - no one considered Fremantle - in fact, the only other non-St Kilda deal that was mentioned publicly a couple of times, was Carlton.

I'm not a person for these theories - I just wonder if Walls did his friend, Lyon, a favour by publicly bringing up the concept of Lyon going to Melbourne.

At the same time, Lyon can use St Kilda and Melbourne to negotiate with Fremantle a 4 year, multi million dollar deal.

Compare roughly the public Melbourne option, and the private Fremantle deal:

Fremantle - No Schwab/Connolly, no financial issues, great list of young players, and a few older champions. Great resources.

Melbourne - Schwab/Connolly/power struggles, very raw group of players, player/administration issues, money situation questionable, etc.....

Ladies and Gentlemen, do you seriously think Ross Lyon did this deal all by himself without anyone knowing - surely someone was quietly advising and encouraging him to go to Western Australia. (And publicly putting out a red herring).

Just a thought ...... what do you think?

I think Robert walls son works for Freo Football Club

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

yes , the timeline's the key . No way it could have all happened in 72 hours , he must have had the lawyer ready to go at the end of the season to field offers , therefore he must have always been looking to leave , whilst he new he had value in the marketplace.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:yes , the timeline's the key . No way it could have all happened in 72 hours , he must have had the lawyer ready to go at the end of the season to field offers , therefore he must have always been looking to leave , whilst he new he had value in the marketplace.
crap, of course it could have happened in 72 hours. it's pretty easy to find a lawyer in this town, especially if you're attached to afl footy. that'd take him about three phone calls. then it would take a decent lawyer an hour or less to review the contract, another hour to go back and forward a couple of times, maybe a few hours total to get it acceptable?

that gives lyon a day or so to tell his family and consider their decision. if i tell my wife we've got a job offer for twice as much money, but we've got to move to perth for a few years (having just moved back down from sydney a few years ago), it's not going to take her that long to say "hell yeah".

so within two days of receiving the initial offer you could easily have reviewed it, negotiated it and told all stakeholders about the decision. 48 hours, i reckon. 72 hours is actually longer than that.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Of course Walls helped Lyon. He was the first one to put it out there that he should seek greener pastures and helped get the issue top of mind through his articles, radio work and on One HD.

Ross was all for making announcements to the market and sending out signals. Walls was the one who kept banging on about his get out clause. How the hell does a clause in a confidential commercial agreement get out in the public? If that's not a signal to the market that I am open to offers, then what is?

Also, Walls nearly lost the friendship of Paul Roos after writing a piece about the Swans in 2005 or so. After that, he clearly stated that he would never jepordise a friendship through his opinion pieces again.

The point is that he looks after his mates and IMO, this was all intentional.

It's all a big game and the average AFL supporter is a massive sucker.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.