Keep or Trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Keep or Trade?

http://rateyourlist.afl.com.au/st-kilda/

I see minimum changes. We've already delisted/retired three from the main list. Take four in the draft, one in PSD. So I put down two trades.
Then I remembered the rookies. I wouldn't have a clue about them, although Walsh should get elevated.

So my theory is what value we could get for a player compared to their actual output on (and off) the field. It's sad at this time of year thinking of them as cattle, but here goes:

Dawson. Might get something good for him. Not the best full back going around, and not the smartest off field. Yet might be wanted enough somewhere.

Armo. Tough one. He could yet go to the next level, but we could be waiting forever. Many kids coming up, they might shoot straight past him. Might get something decent for him.

They were my top two. Cahill and Heyne I'm not sure about, but will they have any impact in the senior team?

There's really no need to trade/delist any more than that. There's no point taking kids in the draft post pick 100.

Have a crack.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure that the site has much credibility. On the Sydney page, fans are 50/50 on keeping or trading both Adam Goodes and Sam Reid. Could be a low sample size.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Actually, we have an opportunity to trade some players that would usually have no currency, due to the 2 new teams. Therefore, we can probably trade Raph, Dawson, Jones and perhaps Gilbert, and do relatively well out of it. I think it must be done.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

can't see us trading Dawson. He's underrated on this site. A more than capable fullback, and more importantly, by far the best we have. He's also still young enough to be part of the future.

Ray and Jones we can afford to lose, but we wouldn't get a whole lot for them. They could be used as the cherry in a trade though i guess.

Gilbert i'm not sure about, i think he's young enough to be part of the next challenge and is of AA quality when he's up. Not sure we'd get enough for him to make it worth it. I'd like to see him stay.

It all depends if we get a Malthouse, Williams, Eade, Laidley, type who wants another shot with this group or we go for someone who is willing to go the full rebuild, in which case trading an A grader might be essential.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You only trade if you get equal or better....

Gilbert, armitage.....Only two non required players with currency

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is a tough one. At his best is an extremely effective player and has 5+ years left. On the other hand, he was very ordinary this year and plays a position which we can cover. If he has another season like that he'll lose all value, so if we trade him it has to be now. If we can get a pick in the first 35 for Gram we should take it.

As for delistings, Heyne is absolutely gone and I suspect one of Johnson and Cahill will go. I'd also get rid of Gamble and maybe keep Polo on as backup.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Who at the club would make these calls now that Lyin is gawn. I assume it would be Pelchin, would the new coach be in place in time for the draft?

I love this club
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Who at the club would make these calls now that Lyin is gawn. I assume it would be Pelchin, would the new coach be in place in time for the draft?
If a new coach isn't in place Pelchen and Harvs will be calling the shots !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

older saint
SS Life Member

Gilbert good trade bait and with Pelchan's love of skill by foot players he is in trouble.

GWS seem a good option for us.

Go for It.

pelchan and Harv's in charge unti MM finishes finals.!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Keep Molly Meldrum

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

we'll have a new coach and a new gameplan. it's impossible to tell how any of the players will fit when we don't yet know what the coach is going to want from them. pretty tough for harvey and pelchen to make many decisions in the absence of that information.

given that, and seeing as we've already dumped three from the senior list and it's a shallow draft, i don't see the need to get rid of more than another one, two at the outside. i reckon we want exactly three picks in the nd, max of two in the rookie.

the only two close to going for mine would be johnson and archer. neither strike me as quite having the attributes of an afl player - especially their disposal isn't great (from what i've seen). heyne and cahill deserve another chance under a new coach with maybe different opportunities.

i reckon something like:

DELIST: Baker, Gardiner, Johnson, McQualter, Eddy (rookie)
PROMOTE: Walsh

and if you could get a good trade for gilbert then i'd go for it, otherwise keep most of them and next year make sure you find out a lot about all those on the cusp.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Keep Molly Meldrum
make Molly coach, warnie as his assistant

I love this club
saintjake
Club Player

bergholt wrote:we'll have a new coach and a new gameplan. it's impossible to tell how any of the players will fit when we don't yet know what the coach is going to want from them. pretty tough for harvey and pelchen to make many decisions in the absence of that information.

given that, and seeing as we've already dumped three from the senior list and it's a shallow draft, i don't see the need to get rid of more than another one, two at the outside. i reckon we want exactly three picks in the nd, max of two in the rookie.

the only two close to going for mine would be johnson and archer. neither strike me as quite having the attributes of an afl player - especially their disposal isn't great (from what i've seen). heyne and cahill deserve another chance under a new coach with maybe different opportunities.

i reckon something like:

DELIST: Baker, Gardiner, Johnson, McQualter, Eddy (rookie)
PROMOTE: Walsh

and if you could get a good trade for gilbert then i'd go for it, otherwise keep most of them and next year make sure you find out a lot about all those on the cusp.
Why does everyone hate on WillyJ?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Dawson should go

Gram MUST go...

Theres two for a start for you.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Keep Molly Meldrum
make Molly coach, warnie as his assistant
now we're getting somewhere
at least future off field dramas wouldn't seem outlandish .

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I probably wouldn't take it as much more than a popularity poll.

What's interesting is that Steven is equal 1st with Lenny.

Those +50% for trade are

Clarke (no surpise there)
Dawson (see above)
Gamble ( i agree with this one)
Geary
Heyne
Kosi (just with 51% to trade)
Gaertner

Ofcourse the whipping boys will be in there. Surpised Gilbert and Gram are doing so well with the years they had.

Dempster at 92% is a surprise though, higher than Milne, Roo and Goddard.

defacto
Club Player

i'd do this:

RETIRE
Gardiner

DELIST
Baker
McQualter
Eddy
Cahill
Gaertner

TRADE
Gram
Dawson

UPGRADE
Walsh

DEMOTE
Heyne

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Defactp, you have delisted one player only. The rest are already gone.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Dawson should go

Gram MUST go...

Theres two for a start for you.
Well you will be disappointed.

South OZ Saint
Club Player

If Pelchen likes skills by foot then Jones may be in trouble , if someone could teach him to kick he would be an A grader

dragit
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Defactp, you have delisted one player only. The rest are already gone.
He's still got 8 places freed up on the list…

noob
Club Player

Maybe Trade a player or two for a draft pick.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:the only two close to going for mine would be johnson and archer. neither strike me as quite having the attributes of an afl player - especially their disposal isn't great (from what i've seen). heyne and cahill deserve another chance under a new coach with maybe different opportunities.
Why would Heyne and Cahill, two players who have been poor at VFL level stay ahead of two players who have performed well in Johnson and Archer?

IMO Heyne is a deadset certainty to be delisted. He already has a big enough frame so it's not physical development holding him back, he just isn't an AFL footballer. He wastes the ball as a midfielder and doesn't kick goals as a forward.

ThePunter
Club Player

All the talk before RL left was of a large player exodus.

I think it will look something like Baker, Gardiner, Gamble, Heyne, McQualter, Smith & Cahill plus one or two real surprises from the Gram-Polo-Clarke-Blake-Geary group.

Archer will be retained on the rookie list, Walsh will be promoted, and we'll end up having five or six picks in the draft.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

There's no point making mass delistings. We can't be left taking eight kids in this draft.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"