The rehabilitation of Ross Lyin's image has begun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The rehabilitation of Ross Lyin's image has begun

I know most of you will have seen the article on Ross and his financial woes, and in a way I do feel for him, but has there ever been a more obvious and facile attempt at PR than that article ? It shows how little respect the Fremantle football club, it's PR merchants and a compliant WA media has for the intelligence of the public.

Seriously, after his disgraceful performance in his initial press conference in which he showed a psychopathic disregard for Mark Harvey and his family, I'm sure that wanker who is now his president took him aside and coached him in a bit of good old fashioned, advertising industry spin. We saw the real Ross Lyin' in that press conference. Arrogant, uncaring and mercenary, unable to get a feel for the mood, both in the room and for those he had betrayed, especially the St.Kilda players, who seem to have been forgotten in all of this. All the hallmarks of a narcissist and psychopath.

Enter the Fremantle spin machine. Let's soften Ross's image with a picture of his family. Let's trot out the sob story of his failed investments (who's fault is that?). Haven't we all lost money at some stage in our lives because of poor decisions? What about his responsibility? Wasn't he being greedy and niaive putting all his eggs in one basket? What reason was there for putting his family on display in the national media? He protected them from his enemies for the five years when he was at St.Kilda in his famously well constructed "bubble". Did any of you know who Kirsten was, or what she and the kids looked like? No, of course not.

He perceived the media as an enemy, and in doing so damaged our profile with sponsors and supporters alike. He conducted closed training sessions as though he was hiding secrets that were of critical importance to national security. Football is just a game, FFS. Locking out supporters and the media only creates enmity, which as a club, we can ill afford. The premiers of last year train alongside Punt Road, with thousands of people passing them every day. They always have supporters there. It's called being inclusive and creating a sense of belonging, dare I say "loyalty"!

Well, I for one am not buying the pathetic spin. I don't buy that the Board was wrong in not giving him an unconditional, 4 year contract. Based on what I know, he wasn't worth it. His actions since his departure only confirm it. He is a narcissistic, mercenary of the highest order. We are better off without him. The shockers are welcome to him.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Re: The rehabilitation of Ross Lyin's image has begun

White Winmar wrote:I know most of you will have seen the article on Ross and his financial woes, and in a way I do feel for him, but has there ever been a more obvious and facile attempt at PR than that article ? It shows how little respect the Fremantle football club, it's PR merchants and a compliant WA media has for the intelligence of the public.

Seriously, after his disgraceful performance in his initial press conference in which he showed a psychopathic disregard for Mark Harvey and his family, I'm sure that wanker who is now his president took him aside and coached him in a bit of good old fashioned, advertising industry spin. We saw the real Ross Lyin' in that press conference. Arrogant, uncaring and mercenary, unable to get a feel for the mood, both in the room and for those he had betrayed, especially the St.Kilda players, who seem to have been forgotten in all of this. All the hallmarks of a narcissist and psychopath.

Enter the Fremantle spin machine. Let's soften Ross's image with a picture of his family. Let's trot out the sob story of his failed investments (who's fault is that?). Haven't we all lost money at some stage in our lives because of poor decisions? What about his responsibility? Wasn't he being greedy and niaive putting all his eggs in one basket? What reason was there for putting his family on display in the national media? He protected them from his enemies for the five years when he was at St.Kilda in his famously well constructed "bubble". Did any of you know who Kirsten was, or what she and the kids looked like? No, of course not.

He perceived the media as an enemy, and in doing so damaged our profile with sponsors and supporters alike. He conducted closed training sessions as though he was hiding secrets that were of critical importance to national security. Football is just a game, FFS. Locking out supporters and the media only creates enmity, which as a club, we can ill afford. The premiers of last year train alongside Punt Road, with thousands of people passing them every day. They always have supporters there. It's called being inclusive and creating a sense of belonging, dare I say "loyalty"!

Well, I for one am not buying the pathetic spin. I don't buy that the Board was wrong in not giving him an unconditional, 4 year contract. Based on what I know, he wasn't worth it. His actions since his departure only confirm it. He is a narcissistic, mercenary of the highest order. We are better off without him. The shockers are welcome to him.
Well said!

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Love to see you stick this on the Freo board at Bigfooty.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

As I said, it'll all be forgotten by next year. I've heard it from many neutrals though, his departure is rated amongst the biggest dog acts of AFL history, but does it effect them? No. It won't effect us soon either.

Richter
SS Life Member

Agree with all your points WW. I had been thinking this, and thinking about our next coach.... I have in the past been in favour of 'the bubble' as a means of helping the players to perform at a higher level... but the situation that the club finds itself in..... likely to have some less good results, financial losses etc.... IMO it becomes vital now that our next coach is a much better communicator with the media than the last fellow.

To be honest, I was extremely impressed with the way that Brendan McCartney spoke at the Bulldogs presser unveiling him as coach. He seems like a good 'un. Something like that would be the order of the day!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

The comments regarding his secrecy and the 'bubble' made me remember one thing I had been told once about his controlling nature.

Never had the lights on in the coaches box to make it harder for everyone to see inside.

It's always the small things that are overlooked. Imagine being the poor sap who leaves the light on!!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:The comments regarding his secrecy and the 'bubble' made me remember one thing I had been told once about his controlling nature.
We seem to be jumping from one control freak to the next...which makes me laugh when Chocco is trotted out as a potential coach! I guess they all are, in their own way.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Was having breakie with a freo supporting friend this morning after our early morning shivering swim at South Beach in Fremantle. There was a paper left on the table next to us so we saw the 'happy family' photo of "Freo's First Family" the Lyon's and we started to read the article together.

At the end, my fanatical freo supporting friend said, "What a load of spin, he's trying to soften the negative image he created after his interview when he got the job, I'm sure most people will see through this. It's his actions as a coach not weasel words we will want to see at Freo, he'd be best focussing on football issues with the media not parading the family around and tugging at the heart strings with sob stories about his extended family".

Gee, his words gave me comfort.................. I thought the article was a load of spin, but assumed it was my negative thoughts about Lyon's behaviour that made me think that way.

It was even more comforting because my friend was so pleased to hear that Freo had snared Lyon last week to coach them because he thought Harvey had run his race with the team.

So in other words........... cut the crap Lyon........... you made a decison totally based on $$$$$$$. No one blames you for that, I'm sure most would take the money in the same situation. That you made your decision in an underhand manner can't be covered up my a load of spin that peple can see through.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Next in the spin cycle: the tensions that made Lyin's tenure at the Saints "untenable" (Paul Roos' word).

To which I say: Bulltish.

Every club has tensions behind the scenes. Consider:

COLLINGWOOD. Massive tensions between Malthouse and McGuire/Pert.

GEELONG: Until this year, massive tensions between the coach, the board, the best player, and (initially) the coach and Neil Balme.

HAWTHORN: Until recently, massive tensions between the coach and Jeff Kennett. Between Kennett and everyone else.

CARLTON: Massive tensions between Ratten and all those who think he's not quite up to it,

And I could go on. The point is that some subsurface tensions are no reason for a coach to cut and run -- unless he wants them to be.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:The comments regarding his secrecy and the 'bubble' made me remember one thing I had been told once about his controlling nature.
We seem to be jumping from one control freak to the next...which makes me laugh when Chocco is trotted out as a potential coach! I guess they all are, in their own way.
Most important part of being a coach is being in control.

First bit of advice given by Malthouse to Neeld last week apparently. Control everything from the oranges up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Was having breakie with a freo supporting friend this morning after our early morning shivering swim at South Beach in Fremantle. There was a paper left on the table next to us so we saw the 'happy family' photo of "Freo's First Family" the Lyon's and we started to read the article together.

At the end, my fanatical freo supporting friend said, "What a load of spin, he's trying to soften the negative image he created after his interview when he got the job, I'm sure most people will see through this. It's his actions as a coach not weasel words we will want to see at Freo, he'd be best focussing on football issues with the media not parading the family around and tugging at the heart strings with sob stories about his extended family".

Gee, his words gave me comfort.................. I thought the article was a load of spin, but assumed it was my negative thoughts about Lyon's behaviour that made me think that way.

It was even more comforting because my friend was so pleased to hear that Freo had snared Lyon last week to coach them because he thought Harvey had run his race with the team.

So in other words........... cut the crap Lyon........... you made a decison totally based on $$$$$$$. No one blames you for that, I'm sure most would take the money in the same situation. That you made your decision in an underhand manner can't be covered up my a load of spin that peple can see through.
For a start no one would ever come out and say they only left money and i doubt that would be the only reason anyway. People said Ball only left for money, which is wrong anyway, and those same people are now saying they can see why Ball left and it was probably because of RL. It is much to easy to say RL only left for money but I would dont that very much.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:
Most important part of being a coach is being in control.

First bit of advice given by Malthouse to Neeld last week apparently. Control everything from the oranges up.
"Control your temper outside the coaches box, control your racist cheersquad, control your players post-game recreational activities, etc". :wink:

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Massive attempt to get the sympathy vote. Transparent.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I totally agree with your thoughts.

Even watching the press conference on Friday I almost wondered who this bloke was as he didn't even look like our former coach.

Whether it was the body language, the attitude, the lies coming out of his mouth, it was not the same person who I'd watched for the five past five years.

Having said that the sob story has more questions than answers about who is coughing up the money for the contract-mining tycoons who didn't go broke? Plus the risk behaviour in putting all of the money into one company in one industry that fluctuates.

I'm more convinced this maybe the reason the club prevaricated on making a decision. We weren't going to be his nominated charity and rightly so.

And the tone of today's article seemed to be underlined by regret. Gone for all the wrong reasons and I so hope the karma bus still hits him between the eye.

And for Freo may it all end in tears and a bankruptcy notice.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

there's a happy ending for someone , coming

:D

i guarantee it.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
thefatdork
Club Player

Yep - spin machine in overdrive.
"poor old Rossy....what a nice family....gee, he did it tough...Lost all his savings....feel sorry for Harvey....etc, etc"
ARSEHOLE - you can wipe it with some nice, fancy paper, but when you're done, still the same thing.
GO SAINTS
Last edited by thefatdork on Wed 21 Sep 2011 11:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

gazrat wrote:there's a happy ending for someone , coming
I luv a happy ending... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is good with words.

Very good.

They are his strength, but they are also his weakness.

Left for money, he left because it was untenable, it was the end of an era, Saints can still challenge....

Can't decide on his story at the moment.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm really over the guy, not prepared to waste any of my energy on the issue :)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
fingers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I'm really over the guy, not prepared to waste any of my energy on the issue :)
Yep - as of ....NOW....I'm over him.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Next in the spin cycle: the tensions that made Lyin's tenure at the Saints "untenable" (Paul Roos' word).

To which I say: Bulltish.

Every club has tensions behind the scenes. Consider:

COLLINGWOOD. Massive tensions between Malthouse and McGuire/Pert.

GEELONG: Until this year, massive tensions between the coach, the board, the best player, and (initially) the coach and Neil Balme.

HAWTHORN: Until recently, massive tensions between the coach and Jeff Kennett. Between Kennett and everyone else.

Funny the only place there is no tension because no one gives a f*** other than their paycheck arriving is Sydney. The media wouldn't know Barry Hall if he robbed them. Those two have stuffed their faces with others hard work and walked away tarnishing others reputations. Eade got Sydney's list together and Roo's is a genius, the rebuild needs to happen, family comes first???? Sounds familiar.
CARLTON: Massive tensions between Ratten and all those who think he's not quite up to it,

And I could go on. The point is that some subsurface tensions are no reason for a coach to cut and run -- unless he wants them to be.

groupie1
Club Player

SainterK wrote:He is good with words.

Very good.

They are his strength, but they are also his weakness.

Left for money, he left because it was untenable, it was the end of an era, Saints can still challenge....

Can't decide on his story at the moment.
Yeah... I also loved the 'I didn't want to patronise Mark Harvey by saying I feel empathy toward him, but I'll patronise him now by saying I feel empathy toward him, because my first efforts damaged my image.'

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Saints43
Club Player

Re: The rehabilitation of Ross Lyin's image has begun

White Winmar wrote:We saw the real Ross Lyin' in that press conference. Arrogant, uncaring and mercenary, unable to get a feel for the mood, ... in the room ...
Isn't this the same bloke that attended every after match press conference in 2007 until, I assume, someone told him he was coming across as a conceited smartarse? All he's done is dropped the act.