Fast Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

clisaint
Club Player

Fast Ball

Collingwood has rebuilt and redefined Luke Ball.

SHORTLY after arriving at Collingwood, Luke Ball set out on a two-kilometre time trial with his midfield teammates. They comfortably led him home.

Senior players stole worried glances with one another as they caught their breath. ''My God, what have we done?'' Nick Maxwell wrote in his diary published in the book One Grand Week.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/f ... z1YbpXUsDj
Thanks Ross you bastard.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe Misson wasn't so clever after all......

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Maybe Misson wasn't so clever after all......
yeah, it's an interesting one. we see misson as a great fitness guy blah blah blah, but obviously buttifant is better if the ball situation is anything to go by.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
yeah, it's an interesting one. we see misson as a great fitness guy blah blah blah, but obviously buttifant is better if the ball situation is anything to go by.
So one player makes him better? Well Misson and RL have left so they are no good now. I get it.

mr.wobble

It just seems to get worse by the day

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Lyon?

Misson?

Maybe these are the CLOWNS b4e keeps going on about :wink:

wally
Club Player

I wondered if LB might benefit from not playing on Etihad so much,the players still seem to say they pull up sorer after a game

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe this is where the extra dollars come into it, more resources, etc.

I dont believe it all of a sudden says Misson is not upto Buttifant in regards to conditioning.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Ball is living proof of what a good coach, resources and patience can do.

RL is not a good coach (what quick fix coach is) .. his second rate recycled players (10 or so - some retired and some injury prone that we didn't get full value from) were never going to take us anywhere.

What about the kids we missed out on as a result ?.. RL you hack !

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i think mission learned how to manage soft tissue injuries that jeopardised our flag hopes in 2004-6. i always thought they were due to playing regularly at etihad. the surface is no doubt improved, so we would have seen an improvement ourselves in that area anyway - but we have had a pretty good run with injuries these last few years. mission deserves credit for that. but yes, bally has been handled much better at collingwood. by coaching and fitness staff.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

So Ball couldnt run... Thats why his performance and selection in the seniors began to waiver.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure Misson is quite competent, but the Swans have continued to have a pretty charmed run with injuries since he left them: eg, consider how few games Goodes has missed with injury, notwithstanding the way he plays.

The reason for this is simple IMO: they play fewer games on the Docklands surface and they get to play more games than anybody else on the SCG: a postage stamp-sized playing surface (less running per game=less wear and tear) with typically the most lush covering of grass of any AFL ground. And the weather is typically warmer than in Melbourne, which also helps. The only downside is having to play some games on ANZ stadium, but the surface there wasn't all that bad until this year.

So the cult of Misson was always pretty silly, as was all the vitriol heaped on this forum on GT and Larcom and others about our injury problems in 2005-06, which occurred when the Docklands surface was at its very worst and we were not the only club affected.

Conditioners are useful, but they are not doctors and they are not magicians. They can get people fitter, help the injured stick to their rehab (althouth it is medical professionals who are crucial in designing the rehab regimes) and they can help players with chronic niggling injuries deal with pain and achieve more mobility. But they cannot effect the basic medical condition of players, nor can they do anything to prevent injuries caused by contact or landing in the wrong way. Nor can they reverse chronic long-term damage to joints, etc.

I have read a lot of stuff on here which suggests that guys like Misson can do something about problems that are fundamenally medical in nature. But I think that's all crap.

And I also think that there must have been a long-term improvement to Ball's medical condition which has enabled him to become more mobile and run faster. I refuse to believe that conditioners and training support staff can make a guy run 20% faster. What I would be prepared to believe is that he has been improving over the long term and was probably able to run harder than he was doing with us, but lacked the confidence to try it. The article kind of says this if you read it carefully.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

You mean the Miss-iah!

You blaspheme!

No one could get them to lift reps and limber their hamstrings like the Miss-iah!

NO ONE!!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

mr.wobble wrote:It just seems to get worse by the day
I disagree
it can only now get BETTER by the day

Seeya