Seaford can be even better than Seaford.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seaford can be even better than Seaford.

The moving of our training facilities to Seaford  has certainly divided St Kilda fans.

I'm not going to get into the whole argument about whether we should have gone there as it's been done to death on this forum. And frankly, I don't really know the true facts behind it (as distinct from all the rumours and gossip).

What I do know is that we are now at Seaford and we will be there for a very long time.

As such it is essential that the main stakeholders do all they can to make it work and to turn around the current misconceptions of it.

It is vital that the club make it a place players want to train at.

But it's also essential that the City of Frankston look at what they can do to improve the Seaford experience.

The Council made a big pitch for the relocation and invested heavily in it. Why? For the promotional advantages of having an elite sporting team located within their boundaries. Such bragging rights are wasted if all the media publicity about the place is negative (as it has been all year)

Rather than satisfy themselves with the thought that the facility has now been completed, both the St Kilda Football Club and the City of Frankston need to keep improving it. They need to consult the players and see how they can make the place even better.

Time for some bright people with bright ideas to come to the fore. :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Apparently several cafes would help.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps the club can hold a weekly wet moccasin competition to help embrace the local community!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:Perhaps the club can hold a weekly wet moccasin competition to help embrace the local community!
Or they could cut your Internet connection :P

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Players should move down there, buy sh*t hot houses, and enjoy the peninsula, and forget about Melbourne. Same as Geelong.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Players should move down there, buy sh*t hot houses, and enjoy the peninsula, and forget about Melbourne. Same as Geelong.
many have or are...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Perhaps the club can hold a weekly wet moccasin competition to help embrace the local community!
Or they could cut your Internet connection :P
I'm voting for both!!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Interesting Post Doc.

I haven't seen the Plans. Is it simply a Training facility, or is it intended to be the Club Base?

The answer to that question will be your guide to future growth plans/opportunities such as Social facilities - Bar, Cafe, Restaurant, Gaming Machine area etc.

A major limitation for future growth is the lack of available land for increasing the Car Parking Space.

Another limitation is the close proximity to residential homes. Any future growth/usage will incur further traffic and associated noise, which you could reasonably expect the local residents to complain about.

The Pool is too small, but in all likelehood, it's too late to fix that.

Also, on a quick search, I haven't been able to find any articles or Club statements about what the future plans are. You don't put something like this in place without detailed planning for future growth. Has the Club released any details?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Is Archie Fraser to blame for this...?

f*** I hate Seaford.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:.

Also, on a quick search, I haven't been able to find any articles or Club statements about what the future plans are. You don't put something like this in place without detailed planning for future growth. Has the Club released any details?
I beleive there are plans- when financially able I would guess- for renovation of Linton St for some of those facilities and the club/ team have continued to use Linton st for some sessions..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Need to relocate the City to Mordialloc - that way Seaford will not be so far away from downtown Melbourne.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Millarsaint commented :
Players should move down there, buy sh*t hot houses, and enjoy the peninsula, and forget about Melbourne. Same as Geelong.
It's interesting that many of the Geelong players live in or around Torquay, where the lifestyle is a lot more relaxed - surfing, golf, local cafes, less intrusive people.

I would think that the Peninsula would offer a similar environment.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Millarsaint commented :
It's interesting that many of the Geelong players live in or around Torquay, where the lifestyle is a lot more relaxed - surfing, golf, local cafes, less intrusive people.

I would think that the Peninsula would offer a similar environment.
Both the Club & the Council need to do more to sell the area to the players.

And with the good weather coming there's no better time.

We won't be moving and it does no one any good to continually talk down the place.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is a great cafe on the beachfront at seaford beach.....maybe the yuppie tools who are on the list dont know its there...

Serves nice food an a good latte

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Seaford can be even better than Seaford

Players from the Peninsula, especially the area between Mordialloc and Rosebud to the south, and Berwick to the east, certainly didn't hurt Hawthorn for 25 odd years...
Based down there, our recruiters will be able to dig up a lot of local knowledge which will help us to use our late draft picks we will cop due to GWS and the Gold Coast waltzing into the comp and stealing the cream of the crop.

P.S. Love that Lucky Burgers signature dude! My dad used to buy those fantastic flat burgers from there when we lived on Hampton St back in the 70's. Can still taste em... best hamburgers in the history of the world.

suss
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:

I beleive there are plans- when financially able I would guess- for renovation of Linton St for some of those facilities and the club/ team have continued to use Linton st for some sessions..
Out of interest, what is happening to Linton Street? Is it still ours? Do we have a long term lease or something? I just assumed that we would have to hand it over to the council once we moved to Seaford.

It would be good if we could keep Linton Street as our social club, admin base and perhaps develop it further. I wouldn't mind the prospect of a developed Moorabbin supporters base and a Seaford training base - kind of in the way that unis have multiple campuses.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

Out of interest, what is happening to Linton Street? Is it still ours? Do we have a long term lease or something? I just assumed that we would have to hand it over to the council once we moved to Seaford.

It would be good if we could keep Linton Street as our social club, admin base and perhaps develop it further. I wouldn't mind the prospect of a developed Moorabbin supporters base and a Seaford training base - kind of in the way that unis have multiple campuses.
we continue to have th lease untill 2040 is it.- someone will say- it was long and cheap at the time
must maintain use by football in some way- and they do train there occasionally
I believe the plans at least included the basic facilities- Ie accessible facilities and food .. but couldn't say

mid year there was a planning permit displayed but I havven't looked recently.
I'm pretty sure there are still other organisations using some of the building- maybe Southern Football Leage-- does anyone know for sure?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I agree with the op. For better or worse we are at carrum downs for the forseeable future and then sometime beyond that.

We might as well get used to it. The yuppy players can live at mt eliza or somers or whatever. Plenty of nice places down that way they can hang out.

And if that's not their scene then bentleigh and sandy are good places to live also for the yuppy player. For the milneys and bakes of the world. They will be happy as larry in seaford or funky town.

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

gringo wrote:Apparently several cafes would help.
Where the club is located is smack bang in the middle of residential meets industrial - if they drive 500mtrs there are plenty of cafe's on the beach - maybe if they looked around a little they might see it's not as bad as they think :idea:

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

:roll: is all I have to say

Mrs_Seaford_Saint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:There is a great cafe on the beachfront at seaford beach.....maybe the yuppie tools who are on the list dont know its there...

Serves nice food an a good latte
FINALLY!!!!!

PJ
SS Life Member

Completely agree Space Docteur.

There was a company that located themselves in a backwater industrial town in Germay that no one had heard of - it developed a reputation for innovation, cutting edge and excellence - everyone wanted to go there to see what they do. People were knocking themselves out to work there because it was the "it" place and only the best got in.

The point is that no one went there for the scenery or the restaurants - it was all about being with the leading edge in a field.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Completely agree Space Docteur.

There was a company that located themselves in a backwater industrial town in Germay that no one had heard of - it developed a reputation for innovation, cutting edge and excellence - everyone wanted to go there to see what they do. People were knocking themselves out to work there because it was the "it" place and only the best got in.

The point is that no one went there for the scenery or the restaurants - it was all about being with the leading edge in a field.
Was that company the SS !

spert
Saintsational Legend

As long a there's a pie shop, pub and a milk bar, then that's all players need..it's footy after all. I couldn't imagine Yabby, Doc, Cowboy and co sitting down to a latte and foccacia when they were working through the '66 season to the eventual premiership!!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Seaford is a great place , whenever people are forced to move , there is always a certain reluctance !
but in a couple of years everyone will love the place .
property values are overall lower down that way so players should take advantage of that and make their paychecks go further .
Also plenty of good nightspots like 21st century dance club :lol: