Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Geary

What will his role be in 2012? I barely know what his role was this year when he got a game. Run-with small defender in the mould of Baker?

He's played 50 odd games now yet I think he is still some way behind McEvoy or Steven who have played a similar amount or less.

Right now I'd say he is around position 21-24 on the list. My concern is that he doesn't have what it takes to become a mid-tier player (say 10-15) - and if he doesn't, then is his spot better occupied by someone else, like a new draftee?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary

Will be interesting to see how he and a lot of other players respond to the new guy, whoever he will be.

All bets are off.

Some will thrive under the new regime, others will go backwards.

We'll see. Exciting times.

DK27
Club Player

A few of these fringe players may get another year because this draft is considered pretty thin. Next years draft is meant to be great and has no GCS or GWS extra picks so I would do a big cull next year on fringe players and load up on kids then.

Love his attack on the footy but his disposal is terrible. He isn't that quick either.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He's never going to be a great player however he's a handy back pocket that's worth keeping. At least he's hard at it.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt next year he will star and play every game....for Sandy.
:twisted: kidding

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Early on he showed great tenacity and creativity as a wing/HF, though that was stamped out of him by the old regime which turned him into a strong-bodied plodding tagger. It's definitely worth hanging onto him to see if he can fulfill his early promise (is very handy around goals when given the chance), but if used as a negator I don't think he has any significant future.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'll lay my cards out early and say that I am a Geary fan,

However even with this aside, I think we'd be mad to de-list our 21-24 best player, I mean there are always injuries and suspensions, maybe he is only a depth player, but you do need them too.

I'd certainly get rid of a few others before him and we've already freed up 5 spots?

St Loxton
Club Player

would like to see an extra 3-5 kilos on him. Still think he can be a part player next year, but hoping our younger players go past him.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Hate to tell you this but next years draft is badly compromised too, as all the compensation type picks for players stolen by GWS and GCS will be taken.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Hate to tell you this but next years draft is badly compromised too, as all the compensation type picks for players stolen by GWS and GCS will be taken.
a lot if depth and compo system wont work in favour of clubs like cats (for ablett) coz they finished high up.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry to say, I think if Geary is getting a game each week next year we will be struggling. For all his courage and attack on the ball, his kicking is just not up to it, and never will be. He is too old now to go from a terrible field kick to a good one. Hope I'm wrong but don't think I am.

Geary did a great job coming back after a broken leg, making the seniors and holding his place.....but his output was not great..

Has outstanding endurance...top 2 at stk

Very courageous....and quite hard at it.

Good overhead for his size....

Kicking is pretty poor, which is weird because when he first arrived in 2007 his kicking was very good, he played small fwd and midfield at Casey and occasionally down back and kicked it well...he often kicked out.....and threaded some nice goals..

Infact early doors he looked like a real find, was the pick of the youngsters....in 2009 he held his spot at 20yo in a super side in great form, and made excellent contributions....his Rising Star nomination was well justified and overdue..

One thing he can do is find the ball.....at vfl level he regularly gets over 30...in the afl he finds it easily and when he came on as a sub in a game this year he got a dozen in a quarter....

Like most of our kids....he need a shot of confidence only created by opportunity..

I would not write him off...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary

battye wrote:What will his role be in 2012? I barely know what his role was this year when he got a game. Run-with small defender in the mould of Baker?

He's played 50 odd games now yet I think he is still some way behind McEvoy or Steven who have played a similar amount or less.

Right now I'd say he is around position 21-24 on the list. My concern is that he doesn't have what it takes to become a mid-tier player (say 10-15) - and if he doesn't, then is his spot better occupied by someone else, like a new draftee?
I disagree, i think he is the type given time on the ground could become our 10th to 16 th best on the list. Heaps of up side, if Farren or Peake go there should be some opportunities for guys like Geary to get a starting spot. He is rare at the Saints in that he is in that middle tier in games and age. Geelong had a couple of guys in that category win a premiership.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's a new year coming up, with new Coaches. It's his chance to show what he has and to capitalise on the opportunity.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Never been a great fan of Geary however he is still relatively young and needs time to improve.

Jimmy Gwilt took time and was sorely missed after his knee injury.

Deserves time to develop.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Hate to tell you this but next years draft is badly compromised too, as all the compensation type picks for players stolen by GWS and GCS will be taken.
a lot if depth and compo system wont work in favour of clubs like cats (for ablett) coz they finished high up.
Compo picks are at the end of round 1 regardless of where a team finishes on the ladder

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

His disposal is shocking, turns it over like flipping pancakes. If he's to stay he needs to PM me and I'll teach him to kick.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
Compo picks are at the end of round 1 regardless of where a team finishes on the ladder
ey? doesn't band 1 mean the club get a pick after their first pick then another at the end of round 1?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Geary is like a number of Saints in the 22...have many good qualities but are poor kicks.

Come 2012 for the Saints to prosper we have to get some better kicks into the team.

Now I doubt all will go...as again their are lots of good qualities.

But it is hard to imagine that all of Jones, Geary, Gilbert, Gram, Blake etc will be in the 22.

Gwilt is a good kick...so will come back.

Lenny will be back...so tat will force out two.

While Siposs has been thought of us a forward.....just imagine him off HB setting up play like Goddard does with his accurate kicking.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
groupie1
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Geary is like a number of Saints in the 22...have many good qualities but are poor kicks.

Come 2012 for the Saints to prosper we have to get some better kicks into the team.

But it is hard to imagine that all of Jones, Geary, Gilbert, Gram, Blake etc will be in the 22.

While Siposs has been thought of us a forward.....just imagine him off HB setting up play like Goddard does with his accurate kicking.
I like your post, man. On the money in terms of getting ball skill into the team, replacing lack of ball skill - force the averages up. I liked that idea of Siposs on HB, for his use. And it puts it that the kid basically needs to play coz he can use the ball... wherever he ends up on the ground, ya need to play him in place of the butcherers.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
widereceiver
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:His disposal is shocking, turns it over like flipping pancakes. If he's to stay he needs to PM me and I'll teach him to kick.
He ain't Robinson Crusoe, Bernard. Perhaps you could get a full-time position down at Seaford.

There are a few other clients.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Geary is like a number of Saints in the 22...have many good qualities but are poor kicks.

as someone said he was a good kick so I imagine he has to practice his composure under pressure rather than the action. We looked worse this season when we played on quickly and the intent didn't seem to spot up a team mate more just to pump it forward. That's why it seemed the backline players that were particularly bad.