Quiet trade period...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Quiet trade period...

From the article on the AFL website, looks like we wont be big players come trade week. Also mentioned that we wont be after any of the 17 year olds as we don't have the currency.

I honestly reckon we'd be missing out on a big chance to get a top 5 draft pick (in next years stronger draft) if we don't try to make some sort of play for one of those 17 year olds.

Without giving up a gun, I think O'Meara is off limits - I think pick 4 or 5 will get him.... but still, why wouldn't we at least try? We aren't going to bottom out and get the top talent and this is almost a once in a lifetime chance to get a top 5 pick without bottoming out.

Obviously the powers that be have confidence in the kids coming through. I would have liked to see a play for Gunston and a 17year old. I don't like recycling has beens with issues, but Gunston, much like what Gram was, has a lot of upside and is young.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Quiet trade period...

St Ick wrote:this is almost a once in a lifetime chance to get a top 5 pick without bottoming out.
What's stopping us from trading for a top five pick any other year?

MadSaintFan
Club Player

The AFL trade period is literally a B-grade player meat market. Everyone once in a while an A grade star will shift club, but other than that its really just ordinary players moving. Clubs dont trade their guns, unless their homesick or the deals just too good.

Our improvement will come from the likes of Cripps, Ledger, Crocker, Armitage, Lynch, Stanley, Steven etc. Forget the trade period and concentrate on the Draft.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Quiet trade period...

Beno88 wrote:
St Ick wrote:this is almost a once in a lifetime chance to get a top 5 pick without bottoming out.
What's stopping us from trading for a top five pick any other year?
ccoz cubs dont give up top 5 picks...with the exception for 1 or these 17 year olds

its a unique situation with the mini draft as gws has to trade them to get somthing

i agree with the op...we should make a claim for a 17 year old. omeara is gone however there are some guns left.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

New article up on AFL website

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

"....New franchise club Greater Western Sydney has the rights to the best 17-year-old players in the country as part of the upcoming mini-draft, where it can trade away picks as it sees fit.

However, Bains said St Kilda will not be one of the clubs in contention.

"It would be nice but I think the asking price for that might be a bit beyond what we're capable of giving," he said....."

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Got to be in it to win it

throw a line in and see if we get a bite

We've given up without trying

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Problem is the players we are willing to let go are not worth first round picks .. I can see us being active in trade week but more so for us trading "role" players for draft picks in the second or third round .. Beats delisting them as it finds them a new home reduces our TPP and gets us project kids to try and find that diamond in the rough

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:New article up on AFL website

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

"....New franchise club Greater Western Sydney has the rights to the best 17-year-old players in the country as part of the upcoming mini-draft, where it can trade away picks as it sees fit.

However, Bains said St Kilda will not be one of the clubs in contention.

"It would be nice but I think the asking price for that might be a bit beyond what we're capable of giving," he said....."

thank god for that...sanity prevails.....it would seem the club is in good hands,.... 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
older saint
SS Life Member

Depends what is considered a high price. We rate players perhaps higher or lower than other clubs. No harm in asking. As i have said before in a heart beat i would do Gilbert for one of those 17 year olds.

Not that he isn't valuable but of the current group appears the most replaceable and perhaps biggest deficiencies which others would also notice too.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Yeah every once and a while a gun footballer will be picked up for pick 30 in the draft because their former coach was too pigheaded to deal at draft time, handing the other team a winner and getting nothing in return....of course, that only seems to happen to one team.

Nee!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

older saint wrote: in a heart beat i would do Gilbert for one of those 17 year olds. .
Hmmm... Really?

:lol: :wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Depends what is considered a high price. We rate players perhaps higher or lower than other clubs. No harm in asking. As i have said before in a heart beat i would do Gilbert for one of those 17 year olds.

Not that he isn't valuable but of the current group appears the most replaceable and perhaps biggest deficiencies which others would also notice too.
never going to happen

gilbert + gram may get us closer to the mark

saying that, i wouldn't trade gilbert. id prefer to give up players such as gram, clarke, peake, polo and dawson. with the exception of gram there's not much value there unfortunately.
Last edited by Old Mate on Thu 06 Oct 2011 2:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:
older saint wrote: in a heart beat i would do Gilbert for one of those 17 year olds. .
Hmmm... Really?

:lol: :wink:
In light of history not the best wording that could have been used!! Very clever!

Pleas replace do with TRADE

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Yeah every once and a while a gun footballer will be picked up for pick 30 in the draft because their former coach was too pigheaded to deal at draft time, handing the other team a winner and getting nothing in return....of course, that only seems to happen to one team.
What did Port get for Stevens?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I hope not ...

I hope they dont fall into the same trap of believing they are or will be anywhere near winning a flag next year. If they do they have their head up their backsides.

Geelong are a completely different list to ours. They all home grown with heaps more quality than ours and didn't rely on half a team of stoppers constricting the opposition to 8-10 goals. Plus they play their kids and give them opportunities. We simply dont have the cattle to match the better teams...

IMO we need to offload any dead wood this year and next. Get some fresh kids into the system/team and prepare properly for a charge at our next flag. This 'peace meal' rubbish has gone on too long SAINTS sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take a few forward. The club fell into this trap under Ross Lyon during his tenure - thinking they could fill holes with other club discards.

Get rid of the GOP's and play the kids - take somes risks!

Its a tough call but they need to look at moving on a number of players to either trade for younger kids or draft selections. Yeah we may go backwards in the short term (I doubt it) but they have to ask themselves will these players feature in a SAINST flag. If they are honest there is not many on the list who you would put in that category.

To me players like Gamble, Polo, Jones, Clarke, Kosi, Dawson, Cahill, Heyne and Gram are list cloggers and its time for them to go!

Why I am at it IMO the next coach needs to turn Schneider into the Saints version of Leon DAVIS as a back pocket. We need his skill and ability to set up play behind the ball. I would replace him with a mid or taller players like Siposs.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: I hope not ...

WinnersOnly wrote:I hope they dont fall into the same trap of believing they are or will be anywhere near winning a flag next year. If they do they have their head up their backsides.

Geelong are a completely different list to ours. They all home grown with heaps more quality than ours and didn't rely on half a team of stoppers constricting the opposition to 8-10 goals. Plus they play their kids and give them opportunities. We simply dont have the cattle to match the better teams...

IMO we need to offload any dead wood this year and next. Get some fresh kids into the system/team and prepare properly for a charge at our next flag. This 'peace meal' rubbish has gone on too long SAINTS sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take a few forward. The club fell into this trap under Ross Lyon during his tenure - thinking they could fill holes with other club discards.

Its a tough call but they need to look at moving on a number of players to either trade for younger kids or draft selections. Yeah we may go backwards in the short term (I doubt it) but they have to ask themselves will these players feature in a SAINST flag. If they are honest there is not many on the list who you would put in that category.

To me players like Gamble, Polo, Jones, Clarke, Kosi, Dawson, Cahill, Heyne and Gram are list cloggers and its time for them to go!

Why I am at it IMO the next coach needs to turn Schneider into the Saints version of Leon DAVIS as a back pocket. We need his skill and ability to set up play behind the ball. I would replace him with a mid or taller players like Siposs.
+1

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintjake
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
older saint wrote:Depends what is considered a high price. We rate players perhaps higher or lower than other clubs. No harm in asking. As i have said before in a heart beat i would do Gilbert for one of those 17 year olds.

never going to happen

gilbert + gram may get us closer to the mark

saying that, i wouldn't trade gilbert. id prefer to give up players such as gram, clarke, peake, polo and dawson. with the exception of gram there's not much value there unfortunately.[/quote

If you give spuds, you get spuds

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

weird cause as much as we like to dream we will not win a flag with the list in its current state relying on Ledger/Cripps/sippos to becomes superstar next year.

Reality is we need to inject some quality disposal - we'll never move the ball with speed and precision without some more run that can hit a target. We just carry to many poor ball users who turn it over.

Id offer Gilbert and Gram to see what we get.

Ray/Dawson completely discussable to.....
and if Goddard says no to a a good saints offer now......hhmm.....hate to lose him for nought...

“Yeah….nah””
PJ
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:weird cause as much as we like to dream we will not win a flag with the list in its current state relying on Ledger/Cripps/sippos to becomes superstar next year.

Reality is we need to inject some quality disposal - we'll never move the ball with speed and precision without some more run that can hit a target. We just carry to many poor ball users who turn it over.

and if Goddard says no to a a good saints offer now......hhmm.....hate to lose him for nought...
Agree we don't have the skills but it may only be a case trading a couple like you've mentioned. I was sure we were going to be in the trade game this year but with Lyon's departure I think we might see some status quo until some one takes the reigns. If we trade with those middle order guys for some skills I'd be happy.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote:weird cause as much as we like to dream we will not win a flag with the list in its current state relying on Ledger/Cripps/sippos to becomes superstar next year.

All genuine concerns, putting aside players we like/feel loyal to, I think Gilbert IMO has quite a lot of currency in an open market, Gram is on the slide and a sweetener at best. We can replace them too, as good as they were/can be.

Ray is a good player, but we couldn't shop him off to a 3rd club and expect to get above market value in return. Dawson, as frustrating as he can be, is a key position player and FB's don't grow on trees so I'd be trying to keep him unless GWS want to play ball with a kid.

I hope, regardless of what they say in the media, they go into trade week with an open mind. I would have thought considering how weak this draft is supposed to be that we would at least look into some sort of wheeling and dealing in trade week (has any other club mentioned they wont be trading?)

Strength through Loyalty
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

There are some guys that have been waiting for a chance though, guys like Heyne, Winmar, Lynch, Johnson, Ferguson, Smith to name a few.

I admittedly don't get to see much of Sandy, but Heyne and Winmar seem to kick alright?

It's really hard to know who will make it or not without giving them a chance?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I hope they dont fall into the same trap of believing they are or will be anywhere near winning a flag next year. If they do they have their head up their backsides.

+1
+1000! HAS to go this way. or were fukked.

Spud02
Club Player

Agree with the sentiment that we need to inject youth rather than 'role' players we pick up for a bargain during trade week, however am not prepared to write off this group as a flag threat just yet. We have a core group of elite 26-28 year olds and just need some our younger guys to come on to add some pace and footskills (ala Hawthorn). There were promising signs from the likes of Ledger, Cripps, Siposs at stages during the year.

LondonSaint
Club Player

I certainly hope this is not a quite trade period.. do people not understand? our window is closed.. The current group of senior players couldn't get it done in 09/10.. what makes you think they can do it with a bunch of untried kids in 12/13.. Even Geelong and Collingwood turned over their list after winning the grand final.

Rembmer we're a complete different side to Geelong.. who has a good, skillful and experienced core (14-16 players, Corey, Enright, Scarlett, Selwood, Taylor, Johnson, Chapman, Bartel, Ottens, Ling, Mackie), mixed with GOPs (varcoe, wodjscki, hunt, stokes, West) and good youth..(duncan, christianson, menzel, vardy)

I can only count 6-8 in our core group that will get a game with another side... Riewoldt (just), Goddard, Dal Santo, Fisher, Montagna, Hayes.. Milne, Schneider..

So the only way is to turn over the list.. play the youth.. and turn over some more.. cut out the dead wood.. role players who can't kick to save their lives.. (gilbert, jones, ray, gram, clarke, blake, geary)

While we're at it.. trade 1 or 2 stars to rejuvenate the list if we have to.. let's face it, you have to give up quality for quality.. losing Goddarf for nothing next year is not smart...

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

"I'm not sure about being the aggressor this week, but we would certainly like to be active, that's our intention," he said.

"We know we have to make changes to our list and we're committed to making changes to our list, but that will be done in a very deliberate way - they won't be reactive.

This is on the AFL website quoted from Pelchin. Strange that Ameet would come out and say we'll be quiet than this. Hopefully we are all on the same page. Personally, I am with Pelchin, but seriously, its not a great look IMO.

Strength through Loyalty