My thoughts and initial impressions of our new coach.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

My thoughts and initial impressions of our new coach.

Right from the start I want to state this - THIS IS NOT A CRITISISM.

In the presser announcement thought he spoke well but mainly motherhood statements. A few things about this
1) He is media savvy and knows the game so his answers were never going to be big statements
2) He has only just walked into the joint so it was always going to be general comments.
3) If we weren't impressed with Watters after the process he had been through and after listening to the likes of McCarthy and Neeld, somethig would have been dreadfully wrong with the selection process.

Now there has been some muted critisism from listeners on SEN about Watters not having enough "mongrel" to be an AFL coach. How these people would know this is anybodies guess.

Later SEN had Tim Gossage on the appointment and said that this was a fallacy and Watters was as steely and determined as a coach can be.

What I liked from what i have heard so far.

1) Immediately embraced the club, we and us as opposed to "the St.Kilda football club"
2) Mentioned by name Sipposs, Ledger and Cripps as exciting young prospects.
3) Has already met some players and could gauge the mood and appetite for success (which Gossage alluded to as one of Watters biggests strengths being).

All in all I think the STKFC has done its best to get the best available coach. Despite the bleatings of ex coaches and others with an axe to grind, initial impressiions id that Watter is a quality person who is professional and determined to move this team and club forward.

A very good start.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

really
who cares what you think joff?

:D

but yeah
good start indeed
its always exciting isnt it
new blood, policies, ideas, game plans
did like the 'we' thing
good luck to him
i hope he brings the club some premierships

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:really

but yeah
good start indeed
its always exciting isnt it
new blood, policies, ideas, game plans
did like the 'we' thing
good luck to him
i hope he brings the club some premierships
lol nobody cares matrix.

Yes optimistism is my default character trait, and we now have new opportunities.

Maybe the change after the dissapointments of 09 and 10 and then the offseason from hell, this change will be for the best.

A new start.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

With a new coach, some new players, a new season, lets hope that it brings some new silverware.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Re: My thoughts and initial impressions of our new coach.

joffaboy wrote:Right from the start I want to state this - THIS IS NOT A CRITISISM.

In the presser announcement thought he spoke well but mainly motherhood statements. A few things about this
1) He is media savvy and knows the game so his answers were never going to be big statements
2) He has only just walked into the joint so it was always going to be general comments.
3) If we weren't impressed with Watters after the process he had been through and after listening to the likes of McCarthy and Neeld, somethig would have been dreadfully wrong with the selection process.

Now there has been some muted critisism from listeners on SEN about Watters not having enough "mongrel" to be an AFL coach. How these people would know this is anybodies guess.

Later SEN had Tim Gossage on the appointment and said that this was a fallacy and Watters was as steely and determined as a coach can be.

What I liked from what i have heard so far.

1) Immediately embraced the club, we and us as opposed to "the St.Kilda football club"
2) Mentioned by name Sipposs, Ledger and Cripps as exciting young prospects.
3) Has already met some players and could gauge the mood and appetite for success (which Gossage alluded to as one of Watters biggests strengths being).

All in all I think the STKFC has done its best to get the best available coach. Despite the bleatings of ex coaches and others with an axe to grind, initial impressiions id that Watter is a quality person who is professional and determined to move this team and club forward.

A very good start.
Well summed up Joffa ...there is certainly a lot to like..was happy to hear Tim Gossage say that he has plenty of mongrel and hardness behind closed doors..as I've said in another post the bleatings about him being unsuitable are coming from opposition supporters with malicious intent..motivated by fear and jealousy that we may finially get our act together...Riewoldts postive statements about the new coach were also significant and hopefully reflect the mood of the players..you could sense a real ethusiam.as you rightly pointed out..it is only a start..but I agree its a bloody good one :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

What, you don't think this was worth a brand new thread when there were already multiple on the topic, including one about how he spoke at the press conference? :wink: :lol:

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Said everything right, looks to be very personable, confident, poised and likeable, so may be easier for the media to 'like' and be a bit more charming and inclusive in that regard.

Hopefully we've not only gained a great coach, but weakened the filth by taking him... and it's onward and upward from here.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:

What, you don't think this was worth a brand new thread when there were already multiple on the topic, including one about how he spoke at the press conference? :wink:
But mate, they were MY thoughts :wink: :wink:

Tried to put a bit of a different perspective on it, mainly the presser, the feedback on SEN, and then the interview with Tim Gossage.

We can all get caought up in an impressive presser. Because Watters has media savvy (being part of it) I wanted to point out that it wasn't the presser that was significant, but the feedback (Brett Phillips was pretty positive in the face of the negative text messages) and the view of Tim Gossage who worked with Watters in coaching and in the media, who dispelled the rubbish about Watters not having the ticker to take this playing group forward.

cheers.

Lance or James??

gringo
Saintsational Legend

From people i know who are fairly involved with AFL clubs, I heard that the 2 best coaches in waiting were Neeld and sanderson. Next in line was scotty Watters. It is really hard to judge anyone until they have had a couple of years to steer things their way. We may find that the footy community has underrated our list and overrated lyons contribution like Geelong or even the opposite. Interesting times, I hope we get to show the world we are a great list with a professional support network behind us. I can't wait to rub it back in their faces, fire up sainters.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:From people i know who are fairly involved with AFL clubs, I heard that the 2 best coaches in waiting were Neeld and sanderson. Next in line was scotty Watters. It is really hard to judge anyone until they have had a couple of years to steer things their way. We may find that the footy community has underrated our list and overrated lyons contribution like Geelong or even the opposite. Interesting times, I hope we get to show the world we are a great list with a professional support network behind us. I can't wait to rub it back in their faces, fire up sainters.
It's a good thread and post because Joffa had something to interesting to say.

According to Gossage, Watters worked in the Perth media on TV and radio for a number of years. It's good he has already has that experience up his sleeve.

Who can say if Neeld or Sanderson are going to be better than Watters? Did Watters go for any other gig?

Watters is going to be a different coach in 5 years time. A key will be how quickly he can adapt and change along the way as needed.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

From a media, sponsorship and PR in general he ticks all the boxes. Now we just have to wait and see if he can coach

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:From a media, sponsorship and PR in general he ticks all the boxes. Now we just have to wait and see if he can coach
But there was a need to update the game plan.

"I won't go into specifics, but there are some opportunities for us as a group to work on over the pre-season and we'll continue to evolve, not just in the next three to six months, but over the next two to three years," he said.

"You've got to stay ahead of the game. We'll take some of what's been great and with input from a number of parties, we'll add some different layers to it as well."

Watters said he also wanted to open up the club more to engage with the community, fans and the media and believed the Saints' football would benefit as a result.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8360754

MorningGlorySEN Morning Glory
@stkildafc has a new coach in Scott Watters and he will be our special guest tomorrow

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bound to be "motherhood" statements as the guys been there 5 mins BUT what I thought was interesting was he clearly decided straight away to be "us" not "them".......why? IMO immediately tells me he has summed up culture-wise where this club is at and has been at under Lyon.

In light of Malthouses "need a hug" stuff this fits and has clearly been discussed - lets remember we are coming off a very good techincal coach - say what you like about Lyon but techincally as a strategist is up there. Whats clearly has been lacking is someone to bring the place toghether....which is not a Lyon strong point IMO- so with Watters we are going down that path and it was obvious to me from his presser when he talked of including the whole organisation.

I think we'll see a more open St Kilda and one that backs its players and possibly youth a whole lot more - will that translate to success?......that only time can tell.

A good start.

“Yeah….nah””
doggerel
Club Player

From the brief bits I have seen, he seems just like Robert Harvey :shock:

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

That's all well and good Joffaboy, but where does all this sit in with your campaign (with Barks) to rid the world of this bunch of clowns that are our board (after appointing a good replacement for Lyon?) does this derail the campaign :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What does Watters think of Seaford? :wink: WILL he play Walsh? :wink: WILL he move heaven and earth to get Rix back? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)