Could have been worse RE: Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Could have been worse RE: Walsh

We could have played hardball and been to arrogant to trade....like we stupidly did in the past.....

or maybe we learned from our absolute stupidity and got what we could....which is NOT enough compo but its something....

We lost two guys in the trade period.......fairly and squarely because of a woeful development program....I have NO idea why Armo didnt give us the green grass last year......and we are almost lucky Hayes and Gardy got injured.....

I really do equate the StK selection and development to that of the australian cricket side....

A powerhouse with a few absolute champions...no development...harder to get out of than into.....and a stubborn and shortsighted viewpoint....

Nick was turning into the footy version of Ricky Ponting.....a bitter and angry champion burdened with the weight of issues bought on by those running the show.....

Hopefully the change will make a difference....but we are paying for ineptitude since 2006 as far as forward planning goes...

hayes66
Club Player

Re: Could have been worse RE: Walsh

BigMart wrote:We could have played hardball and been to arrogant to trade....like we stupidly did in the past.....

or maybe we learned from our absolute stupidity and got what we could....which is NOT enough compo but its something....

We lost two guys in the trade period.......fairly and squarely because of a woeful development program....I have NO idea why Armo didnt give us the green grass last year......and we are almost lucky Hayes and Gardy got injured.....

I really do equate the StK selection and development to that of the australian cricket side....

A powerhouse with a few absolute champions...no development...harder to get out of than into.....and a stubborn and shortsighted viewpoint....

Nick was turning into the footy version of Ricky Ponting.....a bitter and angry champion burdened with the weight of issues bought on by those running the show.....

Hopefully the change will make a difference....but we are paying for ineptitude since 2006 as far as forward planning goes...
That is a fantastic comparison!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

How do you know they left for those reasons. Pretty everyone thinks Walsh left because the deal was to good to not take it but of course you know. Can you tell us how you know though.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he was happy at StK he would have stayed...he couldnt even be convinced......from all reports an absolute stand up human....

But after continual non-selection and lack of opportunity to develop....I dont blame him for walking out the door....

We gave him little, he owed us little

But please, do go on and continue to defend......you do such a good job of making excuses....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he was happy at StK he would have stayed...he couldnt even be convinced......from all reports an absolute stand up human....

But after continual non-selection and lack of opportunity to develop....I dont blame him for walking out the door....

But please, do go on and continue to defend......you do such a good job of making excuses....
As you do bagging the club at every opportunity. He left because the money was to good. Simple as that. 3 or 4 games this year wouldnt have changed that. And I aint defending the club I am giving some facts whilst you are making things up.

hayes66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:How do you know they left for those reasons. Pretty everyone thinks Walsh left because the deal was to good to not take it but of course you know. Can you tell us how you know though.
You ask why this and why that on everyones posts, but why do you stand up for ross lyon and how it wasnt a stuff up by him not to play walsh and that he has developed our list well? Its hard to say things with the tone you want when writing but I am not having a go I am sincerely interested on your point of view as you seem to be defending lyon in these matters.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:If he was happy at StK he would have stayed...he couldnt even be convinced......from all reports an absolute stand up human....

As you do bagging the club at every opportunity. He left because the money was to good. Simple as that. 3 or 4 games this year wouldnt have changed that. And I aint defending the club I am giving some facts whilst you are making things up.
Too bad P66, it doesn't fit the "everything St.Kilda does is shite" meme.

Apparently a couple of senior games would hve made all the difference to Walsh, as the five games aparently did for Lynch :roll:

What a load of twaddle this bloke posts, absolute twaddle. Makes things up and presents them as facts.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:How do you know they left for those reasons. Pretty everyone thinks Walsh left because the deal was to good to not take it but of course you know. Can you tell us how you know though.
You ask why this and why that on everyones posts, but why do you stand up for ross lyon and how it wasnt a stuff up by him not to play walsh and that he has developed our list well? Its hard to say things with the tone you want when writing but I am not having a go I am sincerely interested on your point of view as you seem to be defending lyon in these matters.
So heres another numpty who thinks that a couple of games would have kept Walsh at the Saints :roll:

Where do you people get your delusions from?

Fair Dinkum :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Keep making all the excuses and justifications you want......I will draw my own conclusions as to why the pair left....

For greener pastures....possibly made their minds up during a Sandy game last season where they were being flogged and listening to a coach who couldnt string a sentance together

Thinking F*** this joint.....the guy only picks his favs

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hayes66 wrote:
I couldnt give a stuff about RL. Didnt even care one bit that he left but this re writing of history on here becomes a bit much. I have no doubt what so ever that Walsh left for money and not because he didnt get a game or two unless you think he is just a big sook. I also have no doubt the club had bugger all interest in keeping Lynch. He may have been pissed off with RL but from what I saw he played the right amount of games this year. I certainly dont reckon he deserved anymore.

The problem with some on this site is they fall in love with players and coaches and when they desert them they go the other way and say they are arseholes and couldnt play. Having a bit to do with some players over the years I have had to not become emotionally involved as I once was with players and coaches.

And then there are other people who just bag anything done by the club. Of course they usually do it with great hindsight.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Chris Pelchen is to be commended with a stellar job on balancing what was seemingly going to be an unbstable period of trade.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:Chris Pelchen is to be commended with a stellar job on balancing what was seemingly going to be an unbstable period of trade.
+1

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Funny....Im the guy who presents things as 'FACTS'

thats right....I forgot

Remind me again....who used the word FACTS in this thread....

what money is Walsh on exactly???
Maybe someone got a txt from a few close friends and knows the exact facts and can report them as such

Apologist D***heads

hayes66
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
hayes66 wrote:
So heres another numpty who thinks that a couple of games would have kept Walsh at the Saints :roll:

Where do you people get your delusions from?

Fair Dinkum :roll:
Yeah solid argument there joffaboy, really like what you have brought to the discussion. I never said walsh wouldnt have left if he was played but I do think it was wrong that he wasnt played. I would have preferred to see us give him a go and I think it was a mistake that he never played a game for us. I have argued this point before he left, so im not using it as a reason for why he has gone but it certainly wouldnt have hurt. And if those of us who think it was a mistake that he wasnt played are wrong because there are no facts what makes you right. You have no facts to say it was the right decision not to play him and you dont know whether walsh will be a good player or not. Your arguments arnt based on any facts and you dont know what was done behind closed doors. If he got a game he may have played well, taken dawsons spot, Cemented his spot in the team and then we could have off loaded dawson or blake to keep him. You dont have any facts to say why this wouldnt have happened and why I am wrong.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

"...a disillusioned Walsh" says an ABC News desciption.

No point in keeping disillusioned players. They are bad for team chemistry.

See ya, Tommy.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Funny....Im the guy who presents things as 'FACTS'

thats right....I forgot

Remind me again....who used the word FACTS in this thread....

what money is Walsh on exactly???
Maybe someone got a txt from a few close friends and knows the exact facts and can report them as such

Apologist D***heads
You dont get it. I said i guessed walsh's salary based on a little knowledge I have unlike you who had no idea of the rookie salary. You tell us that these players left because of a certain reason and again you have no idea.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He wasnt disillusioned.....ask the apoligists

even the freaken fans....were disillusioned as to why he was left to rot....

Poor form in the VFL.....NO
Little scope for improvement......NO
Body not ready for AFL......F*** NO
No spot available.......Definitely NO....even ross was whinging about having no power fwds...but forgot to look at his own list

But definitely NOT disillusioned...ffs

SaintWal
Club Player

Re: Could have been worse RE: Walsh

BigMart wrote:We could have played hardball and been to arrogant to trade....like we stupidly did in the past.....

Lack of opportunity is number one IMO - The guys at Sandy were astounded during the year that he did not get a go - that is fact

Number two is again IMO, because that is what we do, and risk getting shot down everytime, Berbakov.

Great Post Big Mart

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

One positive out of Tommy Walsh going.......
I believe we need another large forward and a large defender. Walsh would of filled one of these rolls, but because of his lack of opportunityI dont know which. Now we need to recruit one of each, plus a ruckman. The recruiters job just became simpler.

Legendary
Club Player

I agree with BigMart ... Serious issues with our development structure and attitude towards young players from the end of 2005 until now ... Particularly bad in the last 12 months.

Watters said he is keen to really look at boosting our development academy side of things - any coincidence?!

Something we have to get better at is the balance between nurturing young players and keeping them interested by giving them an opportunity.

Mick did it brilliantly at the Pies for about 5 years.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Part of Watter's pitch to Walsh was reassurance that he was a required payer and part of the coaches plans for the future. Why would Watter's say that if Walsh wasn't partly leaving for of lack of opportunities? Exactly. Good post Mart.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I agree with BigMart ... Serious issues with our development structure and attitude towards young players from the end of 2005 until now ... Particularly bad in the last 12 months.

Watters said he is keen to really look at boosting our development academy side of things - any coincidence?!

Something we have to get better at is the balance between nurturing young players and keeping them interested by giving them an opportunity.

Mick did it brilliantly at the Pies for about 5 years.
Agree mate. People believing young players leaving has nothing to do with lack of opportunity and poor club development are kidding themselves. And I don't need proof, I can draw my own conclusion thanks.

realdeal
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
hayes66 wrote:
I couldnt give a stuff about RL. Didnt even care one bit that he left but this re writing of history on here becomes a bit much. I have no doubt what so ever that Walsh left for money and not because he didnt get a game or two unless you think he is just a big sook. I also have no doubt the club had bugger all interest in keeping Lynch. He may have been pissed off with RL but from what I saw he played the right amount of games this year. I certainly dont reckon he deserved anymore.

The problem with some on this site is they fall in love with players and coaches and when they desert them they go the other way and say they are arseholes and couldnt play. Having a bit to do with some players over the years I have had to not become emotionally involved as I once was with players and coaches.

And then there are other people who just bag anything done by the club. Of course they usually do it with great hindsight.

It would've been nice if Walsh played one or two games but really, we were doing our best to gain a home final, I can see why he didn't quite nudge it for a game. He was Emg a few times.

If thats the reason he's gone to Syd then what a cry baby.. 2 years doesn't seem an excessive amount of time for a guy who's never played the game to play Reserves.

On the other hand, if he's gone for the money then he can get lost too.. We supported him in coming to this country, setting him up and developing him for over 2 years.
For him to get up and flee as he's about to progress to seniors for some cash is the definition of mercenary.

P.s. Can we get his pale ass photo off the Saintsational website now.. cheers

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Think what you want but Walsh is gone.

Waste of resource and effort really. But you never know.

Its a shame he never got a game to be honest. Was pretty close to it this season but he was still probably somewhat below the level required.

Still, its just another part of the Lyon era that has come to pass. Best of luck to him at Sydney.

Might be a player, might not.

Same could be said for the kid we draft with his pick.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
PJ
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:One positive out of Tommy Walsh going.......
I believe we need another large forward and a large defender. Walsh would of filled one of these rolls, but because of his lack of opportunityI dont know which. Now we need to recruit one of each, plus a ruckman. The recruiters job just became simpler.
Only problem with that is we also need good midfielders

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.