Nick Heyne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Nick Heyne

I think Heyne may be one player that will hugely benefit from the new coaching regime.

Anyone who saw him play TAC Cup knows that he was a free wheeling, creative & flashy player who kicked ridiculous goals & took the occassional specky.

Maybe Watters will be able to harness that & help him reach his undoubted ability. We really could do with that 6'2 creative half forward...

He may be rookied but I'd love to see Nick get a real crack at it in 2012 & be one of the success stories of the Watters' debut season.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Nick Heyne

Animal Enclosure wrote:I think Heyne may be one player that will hugely benefit from the new coaching regime.

Anyone who saw him play TAC Cup knows that he was a free wheeling, creative & flashy player who kicked ridiculous goals & took the occassional specky.

Maybe Watters will be able to harness that & help him reach his undoubted ability. We really could do with that 6'2 creative half forward...

He may be rookied but I'd love to see Nick get a real crack at it in 2012 & be one of the success stories of the Watters' debut season.
I really hope so, I looked up the 2008 draft in google and Heyne was among the top 10 chances on plenty of websites, I think Quayle really rated him and I rate her opinion. You just don't know what to think as he was probably not allowed to train with the senior team, how do you develop your skills and confidence.

I hope we keep him on our list, he has all the attributes to be a great player... albeit one who hasn't showed us much as yet.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
savatage
SS Life Member

This may be harsh but I don't think he has the talent to go anywhere.

Rarely gets enough of the footy. Does the hard/freakish things well & can't do the basics properly.

Has some tricks but nowhere near enough.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he just needs a chance, our new hero Jack Steven didn't look amazing in the VFL, it was only after some concurrent games that we saw how good he was.

Heyne may never step up, it would be brilliant if he did though. I feel for him and Lynch, they might have played 20 games each at another club, a little confidence goes a long way - eg Jarryd Blair

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

from what I've seen in VFL he looks like a proper football player skills wise but lacks mental

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

millarsaint wrote:from what I've seen in VFL he looks like a proper football player skills wise but lacks mental
Meaning what? Lack of effort? Not hard enough at the ball? Loses concentration?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

millarsaint wrote:from what I've seen in VFL he looks like a proper football player skills wise but lacks mental
I alluded to it, might not believe he is an AFL footballer yet and under the previous regime of not being able to train with the big boys, do you blame the kids for either not having confidence or not being an AFL footballer mentally yet?

Strength through Loyalty
savatage
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Maybe he just needs a chance, our new hero Jack Steven didn't look amazing in the VFL, it was only after some concurrent games that we saw how good he was.
I totally disagree, I saw that Jack Steven had it very early on & even from his VFL form you could tell he was quality.

I have never thought that Nick Heyne had the ability to play at the top level but, like always, to benefit the saints - I hope that I am wrong.
Last edited by savatage on Tue 18 Oct 2011 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Everyone on the list for 2012 gets a clean slate as far as im concerned.
Heaps of players look hopeless when they are 19-21 and end up good.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Does he deserve a spot on our list still? Assume he is now behind last years draftees such as Cripps, Ledger, Crocker, behind Saad, unsure about Milera. If you were getting rid of kids, I think Winmar is on shaky ground, taking away his name, I am not so sure he has showed enough in two years to tell us he has a future.

Strength through Loyalty
savatage
SS Life Member

St Ick wrote:Does he deserve a spot on our list still? Assume he is now behind last years draftees such as Cripps, Ledger, Crocker, behind Saad, unsure about Milera. If you were getting rid of kids, I think Winmar is on shaky ground, taking away his name, I am not so sure he has showed enough in two years to tell us he has a future.
He'll be delisted and re-rookied (Heyne that is)

Kilda
Club Player

Yes, I was surprised that they re-signed Winmar for 2 yrs on the basis of some pretty average senior games...

I think this is calm before the storm...wait for the delistings to start...Archer will be one of them...and maybe some higher profile guys too...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Kilda wrote:Yes, I was surprised that they re-signed Winmar for 2 yrs on the basis of some pretty average senior games...

I think this is calm before the storm...wait for the delistings to start...Archer will be one of them...and maybe some higher profile guys too...
We really are too hard on some young players... Winmar may have been on the list 2 years but year 1 was an absolute write off injury wise. If Crocker had got a few games under his belt this season we would be jumping through hoops.

Winmar is basically a 1st year player who is under developed physically but has the skills. We are crying out for players who can deliver the ball efficiently to a team mate... well Cuz has that ability.

Back to Heyne... I see your point re: the mental side of his game. It is an issue but something that may be linked back to confidence. Player like him are real confidence players... when they're up, they're capable of special things.

I like the Wattters approach of building confidence & relationships with players. Ben Reid was looking like being a bust as a top ten pick until Watters got hold of him & turned him into an AA defender.

Let's hope that Watters' comments about development sees our underachieving youth come on & come on quickly. How exciting will it be if Stanley, Heyne, Johnson and Smith become serious best 22 considerations...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Kilda wrote:I think this is calm before the storm...wait for the delistings to start...Archer will be one of them...and maybe some higher profile guys too...
Have you got mail?

Archer is still listed on the club's senior list despite being an elevated rookie. Is it an admin oversight, or a sign of things to come?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Kilda wrote:I think this is calm before the storm...wait for the delistings to start...Archer will be one of them...and maybe some higher profile guys too...
Have you got mail?

Archer is still listed on the club's senior list despite being an elevated rookie. Is it an admin oversight, or a sign of things to come?
Archer spent most of 2011 as a rookie. So not sure putting him back as a Rookie really classifies as a delisting.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Well let's see if he stays on the list first, in serious danger of being an ex player.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Beekay
SS Life Member

use to play against heyne.

both goal kicking midfielders. probably lined up on each other. 1 & 2 for the league leading goalkicker in 2004 juniors.

he would have a bath with the easy ball off the hbf or a mismatch up forward.

didn't seem like a tough kid though. had that trying to impress dad aura about him. no nitty gritty.

was surprised he was drafted so high.

more so with polo. we use to be apart of the same gippy power training group in east gippy. super nice guy and hard worker.. but i was shocked he went in the first two rounds. flabbergasted tbh

ellis was the best in my time. he was head n shoulders above the rest. but even he probably didn't become as good as what his junior coaches and onlookers would have hoped. he was a freak. absolute tosser Lakes Entrance boy, so i don't enjoy saying that.

ace
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda has stated they want 6 draft picks.
If they go into the season with 40 players then they need to make 5 more delistings.
If they are seriously constrained by the salary cap they could go into the season with 38 players requiring 7 more delistings.

Incompetent football managers don't have the balls to make a prpoer assessments of a players potential despite watching them for an entire year.
St Kilda's are definitely incompetent they will "wait and see".
Cripps, Crocker, Ledger, Siposs are therefore safe regardless of assessment.

On the other hand players who have been at the club for 3 years and not playing regualrly are in peril.
Stanley, Heyne, Alistair Smith, Cahill and Simpkin are in peril, but Stanley is probably safe as backup ruckman or forward if McEvoy, Koschitzke or Riewoldt are injured.

Heyne, A Smith, Cahill and Simpkin are goners.
If you want to spare one of them, then you need to nominate
2 to 4 other players (not rookies like Archer) to delist.

Sadly the only thing Heyne is going to be able to show is the doorway he was made to walk out of.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
dragit
Saintsational Legend

But could a few go back to the rookie list where only half the salary is counted in the cap?

"Each club is allowed to maintain a list of up to six eligible players, whilst Brisbane and Sydney can list a maximum of nine."

Can someone enlighten me on why Brisbane and Sydney (4 of the past 10 flags) could possibly need more concessions? Do they still have bigger caps too?

I just noticed that international rookies don't count towards the cap at all - how ironic…

ace
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:But could a few go back to the rookie list where only half the salary is counted in the cap?
Yes but the only way to go back to the rookie list is -
1. to be delisted
2. nominate for the National draft
3. have no club select you in the National draft (be so bad that no-one else wants you)
$. Survive in the rookie draft until St Kilda selects you.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
avid
Club Player

Heyne is an absolutely gorgeous long raking kick. He moves smoothly -- but as slow as treacle. At least that's what i saw, watching him with rapidly waning enthusiasm. Couldn't get into the play, couldn't keep up, couldn't chase. When the ball did come to him he delivered it downfield like Aussie Jones.
Can any of that be corrected by coaching / fitness training, etc??

savatage
SS Life Member

ace wrote: Heyne, A Smith, Cahill and Simpkin are goners..
Why would Simpkin be a goner? I also rate Smith a lot higher than most on here. I would hope he is given another year to develop.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Everyone on the list for 2012 gets a clean slate as far as im concerned.
Agree. It will be interesting to see how the VFL guys respond to a new senior coach.

I think a couple that weren't Lyin's "type" may surprise.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin signed a new deal just weeks ago. Heyne, however had never even looked like a good VFL player. Contract will probably see him rookied for next year.

savatage
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Simpkin signed a new deal just weeks ago. Heyne, however had never even looked like a good VFL player. Contract will probably see him rookied for next year.
Yes & yes.