What to do with the following...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What to do with the following...

What are people's thoughts on how best to use the following players...

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray

What positions do they play?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What to do with the following...

skeptic wrote:What are people's thoughts on how best to use the following players...

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray

BJ should play his normal role of HB and on the ball and float forward occasionly. Gilbert can only play HB. Johnson should play in the seconds. Ray is a winger, HB.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Goddard middle wing and half back.

The rest I don't care.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:What are people's thoughts on how best to use the following players...

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray
Goddard: CHF.

Gotta take the focus off Riewoldt and you can't say it's a waste of talent playing him in the most pivotal position on the ground. He needs the responsibility, also. Don't want him walking at the end of next season.

Gilbert: Give him a run through the middle.

Good below the knees for a bigger guy. He needs to regain his confidence overhead as when he's at his best he's quite a handy mark.

Johnson: Understudy FF in case of injury.

Ray: Back pocket/HBF.

shmic_s
Club Player

If Goddard is moved from half back then Dal IMO would have to go back to replace him.
You need a great decision maker with good disposal back there.

So for Goddard to go forward, i think we would need an extra mid fielder with good skills to replace Dal in the middle.

I can see Siposs or one of the new recruits playing up forward and Dal and Goddard switching more between mid and half back.

Goddard utility - HB/HF/mid
Gilbert at half back
Johnson, if he makes the 1's, on a wing/HF (haven't seen much of him)
Ray, half back/wing

St Igmata
Club Player

just on goddard the word from someone very close to him is he has commuted to gws

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:just on goddard the word from someone very close to him is he has commuted to gws
So he has travelled to GWS has he? :shock:

I love this club
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Stillwaiting wrote:
St Igmata wrote:just on goddard the word from someone very close to him is he has commuted to gws
So he has travelled to GWS has he? :shock:
And (some) people complain about how far it is to Seaford.

Did he take the bus?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:If Goddard is moved from half back then Dal IMO would have to go back to replace him.

So for Goddard to go forward, i think we would need an extra mid fielder with good skills to replace Dal in the middle.

I can see Siposs or one of the new recruits playing up forward and Dal and Goddard switching more between mid and half back.

Gilbert at half back
Ray, half back/wing
I like the idea of Dal back, BJ CHF, and Armo in the middle, someone like Saad to replace Armo in that forward role.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

ray should play forward.

Also isolate him there with the right match up as he is fast, strong overhead and reliable kick normally.
Would be hard to match up on.
He seems to go missing down back to often as we have other players to fill his role.
Could be that 3rd tall that he never had.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

so gilberts staying?

shesh i hope he practices on the right over summer :?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't surprise me. Can only hope that you are wrong.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

double post
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 20 Oct 2011 1:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

triple post. sorry

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray

I would like to try Gilbert up forward again for an extended stint and give him some confidence. The guy has got serious athletic ability.
Lyon talked about but didnt deliver (man that guy was full of crap).
Lyon just could not stomach change. Whenever we were under pressure he went back in his shell.

As for the people who say - oh we tried him and he was no good. Do you seriously expect someone to become a key fwd at afl level in a few hours? It takes many hours to learn the caper at that level. Gilbo needs a decent fwd coach (when did the Saints last have a decent fwd coach who knew how to play fwd??? ) and a fair run up there to get his confidence and timing etc right.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Wouldn't surprise me, but if it is the end of the 2012 season, I wouldn't be gutted if it got us two good first rounders in a great draft. It would be the foundation stone of a genuine rebuild in my opinion. BJ would have given more than enough service to the club by then IMO, and if we set Pelchen loose to trade out for some more early picks up and load in a boom draft we could be setting the base for the following decade.

Timing is everything, and if we set ourselves to do major list reconstruction just as the bulk of the draft inequities get out of the way, then we will not have "bottomed out" at the bottom of the ladder, and could well come out well in front of the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne etc.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Wouldn't surprise me, but if it is the end of the 2012 season, I wouldn't be gutted if it got us two good first rounders in a great draft. It would be the foundation stone of a genuine rebuild in my opinion. BJ would have given more than enough service to the club by then IMO, and if we set Pelchen loose to trade out for some more early picks up and load in a boom draft we could be setting the base for the following decade.

Timing is everything, and if we set ourselves to do major list reconstruction just as the bulk of the draft inequities get out of the way, then we will not have "bottomed out" at the bottom of the ladder, and could well come out well in front of the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne etc.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

They recruit Johnson as a Full Back ...

They need to move Dawson away from Full Back and develop Johnson or Archer as our Full Back. If Dawson get his body to an acceptable AFL level he may be able to hold down CHB.

Play Stanley in FP, Kosi at FF and ROO at CHF (if able). If that doesn't work leave KOSI out of side.

If Cahill is not going to cut it as a full forward draft a kid who will.

Ray our next back pocket. I would also rotate GRAM and Schneider we need Schenider precision kicking coming out of defence.

Goddard to play where he should have his whole career HFF changing RR. The other thing I would do with GODDARD is make him Captain! Take some pressure off ROO and will assist with us keeping him after next season.

Gilbert persist in backline - make him improve his kicking repitition and extra 30-60 minutes each session.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Parrot_Rosie
Club Player

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray

Goddard should have been traded to GWS for National Draft picks 5, 10 & 15.
Gilbert should have been traded for a pick in the top 20.
Johnson not sure.
Ray not sure.

Why do you think we have been a top side since 2004? It was because we were forced into a full rebuild. With the Tim Watson debacle and then the Malcolm Blight debacle our beloved St kilda was on the canvas down and out. We won 11 games in 3 seasons and in that time we scummed up 5 top 10 picks and 3 top 20 picks. Through our own ineptitude we were forced to do a major rebuild and that was the catalyst for sustained excellence over the last 8 years.
older saint
SS Life Member

Goddard - Floater ala Adam Goodes

Gilbert - Must play forward . You need your best kickers off half back and that therefore excludes him

Ray - Tagger through the midfield

Johnson - Forward. Like to see him and Flat Stanley ( how he made us feel after 2011) challenge for CHF with Roo either bulking up and closer to goal or if not across wing

2012 - Goddard - Try to keep captaincy etc as ioffer, if not expect Ablett like deal.

St Lenny
Club Player

Parrot_Rosie wrote:

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray

Goddard should have been traded to GWS for National Draft picks 5, 10 & 15.
Gilbert should have been traded for a pick in the top 20.
Johnson not sure.
Ray not sure.
Do you have any idea. What happened to Ayres as Coach?????????

Rosco
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me, but if it is the end of the 2012 season, I wouldn't be gutted if it got us two good first rounders in a great draft.
will we though?

ablett
- was 26 when he played his last game for geelong
- had a brownlow
- had been AA for four years in a row
- 2 B&Fs
- 2 flags
- Leigh Matthews trophy & AFLCA award 3 years in a row (2007-2009)

goddard
- if he goes after 2012 season, will be 27 in his last game for st kilda
- no individual awards
- 2nd in B&F in 2009, 2nd in norm smith in GF1
- AA in 2009 & 2010

it has been reported that the formula is based mainly on the players age + size of their contract

geelong got a round one pick (next spot after their pick) plus a mid-round pick (pick 11+, after the 10 non-finalists) for ablett

melbourne got the same for scully (20 years old + $6m?)

bulldogs got a first rounder (after their 1st rounder) only for ward (21 years old + $$?)

goddard - will depend on the $, but would we expect a 1st rounder + and an end of 1st round pick given he will be 27? or a 1st + 2nd rounder? or worse?

shmic_s
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
shmic_s wrote:If Goddard is moved from half back then Dal IMO would have to go back to replace him.

Gilbert at half back
Ray, half back/wing
I like the idea of Dal back, BJ CHF, and Armo in the middle, someone like Saad to replace Armo in that forward role.
Schneider is another that might have the tools to play HB.
Smart player.
Or at least push into the midfield more.

S.A Saint
Club Player

shmic_s wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Gilbert at half back
Ray, half back/wing
I actually wouldnt mind seeing schneider in the backline ala leon davis for the magpies this season. That is only if saad and or milera can step up and take his spot in the forward half.

Schneider is another that might have the tools to play HB.
Smart player.
Or at least push into the midfield more.
Wouldnt mind seeing schneider in the leon davis role that is if we can get saad or milera to take over the role that he has played thus far.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Goddard
Gilbert
Johnson
Ray

BJ should play his normal role of HB and on the ball and float forward occasionly. Gilbert can only play HB. Johnson should play in the seconds. Ray is a winger, HB.
Why should Johnson play seconds? Because he was given one game and came off concussed- career over? He was really pushing for selection from NAB cup onwards. He should get a game if he deserves it. He is ready to go as a forward and was kicking regular goals at Sandy. I hope he makes it this year.