AFL Foxtel Channel

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

AFL Foxtel Channel

Anyone know when it begins? Any other info on it. Is it HD?

Will it be similar to the old Fox AFL Channel?

goddardisgod
Club Player

Will run from February (Nab Cup) till week after GF.

24hr footy stuff. See RWC channel this year. Lot of old stuff, reviews, program's and reruns.

Will make use of the marvellous red button system, where the Foxtel only game is broadcast, but you can see 7's telecast w/out ads with the red button.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hd will be 5 bucks more a month no doubt

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

What does Foxtel cost

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

bobmurray wrote:What does Foxtel cost
They're advertising $50 including 40 channels & footy.

I think we pay just over that now... so that deal may be for new subscribers.

Worth every cent in my book... I never watch free to air Ch 7 after the way they have treated footy fans over the past 5 years. Any shows on 7 are 'IQ'd & all the ads fast forwarded.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:...They're advertising $50 including 40 channels & footy...
$50 a year. It's worth considering.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:...They're advertising $50 including 40 channels & footy...
If only mate...

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
A month mate...about $12 bucks a week...a bargain IMO :twisted:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:hd will be 5 bucks more a month no doubt
HD is $20 a month more. $10 for the HD IQ box and $10 for the HD content.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ando051
Club Player

I recommend anyone that subscribes to Foxtel to get an IQ box added to your subscription. I pay $90 per month and that's the "Sports Package with IQ box" that is every channel except Movies.

The IQ box has a built in hard drive that records and stores shows with one touch of a button. So if you go to the game, you can watch it when you get home or the next morning.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Animal Enclosure wrote:
bobmurray wrote:What does Foxtel cost
They're advertising $50 including 40 channels & footy.

I think we pay just over that now... so that deal may be for new subscribers.

Worth every cent in my book... I never watch free to air Ch 7 after the way they have treated footy fans over the past 5 years. Any shows on 7 are 'IQ'd & all the ads fast forwarded.
same could be said with foxtel when they dropped the dedicated afl chanel & increased the NRL & soccer, besides, you are watching the Ch7 broadcast on foxtel anyway.
But the new broadcast deal will swing buying pay tv back to a more palatable expense.
Agreed the pay tv route is basically a must for die hard AFL fans, but a warning for newcomers, if you think you are going to be watching advert free television think again.

Seeya
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i meant by upping it by 5 bucks

and the 40 channels + 10 channels of sport for $50 was for new subscribers.
mate rang up wanted the deal as an existing cust.
"new subscribers only sir"
ok, cut me off and hook me back up then

he wangled something when his contract expires in dec

i just got the mystar box
should of done it sooner

battye
Saintsational Legend

Foxtel is hugely overpriced for what you get. And the prices keep going up even though due to our dollar the cost of importing shows from overseas should be dropping. Even in America cable television doesn't cost as much as it does here.

And unlike the USA, there is not enough original scripted content to entice people.

Ultimately all you are paying for is live sport. The endless repeats of Friends, Law and Order, lifestyle programs etc can all be found on the Freeview stations like GEM and 7TWO which has eroded Foxtel's point of difference. If it wasn't for the live football and international cricket it wouldn't be worth having.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

The adult channel is quite uplifting. Quality programs :wink:

Saintsational Legend

ando051 wrote:I recommend anyone that subscribes to Foxtel to get an IQ box added to your subscription. I pay $90 per month and that's the "Sports Package with IQ box" that is every channel except Movies.

The IQ box has a built in hard drive that records and stores shows with one touch of a button. So if you go to the game, you can watch it when you get home or the next morning.
except you cannot keep it forever- only until you reach the limit and it drops off the end

I had My star all of one week- and said come and take it away.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

turbo max
love it

you need a digital media player/recorder bratty
some can now record cable stations as well as tv and you can transfer it to a pc and then copy it to a disc, store it on external hard drive etc

http://crazystu.com.au/Beyonwiz_DP_P2TB ... 20620.html

not cheap
but they do everything

goddardisgod
Club Player

Can see you people have no idea how to enjoy Foxtel. :roll:

Between the 3 Fox Sports, 2 ESPN, Setanta, Comedy, Hits, Fox8, lifestyle and UKTV, I barely watch FTA, and I'll have no reason at all from next year. IQ let's me record a whole bunch of movies (both old and new) that I couldn't be bothered going to movies, or buying DVDs of.

Then there is some interesting doco's of Bear Grylls drinking his own urine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

saintnick12
Club Player

ando051 wrote:I recommend anyone that subscribes to Foxtel to get an IQ box added to your subscription. I pay $90 per month and that's the "Sports Package with IQ box" that is every channel except Movies.

I have the same, though we also negotiated a second basic box in the $90 price when we moved house recently. So IQ2 for the main room and basic box upstairs.

Couldn't live without it. Had IQ1 at the other house for about the last 4 years or so and never looked back. Very rarely watch live tv now. Record everything, series link my fav shows and zap through the adds. Love it. Great for recording games too and watching again when you get home or during the week. Also great to have a few good ones on there to watch when you need to cheer yourself up...lol..

You can keep things for ever as long as you don't fill the hard drive. The IQ2 has much bigger hard drive than the usual IQ. We have not gone over 50% on the new one yet, though I'm sure that will change in the footy season.

It will be interesting to see if the price goes up. The new channel sounds great. And the fact you will be able to watch live games on foxtel when the game is delayed on FTA is fabulous. If the saints were playing in Melb, I'd be there, but love watching friday night games whoever is playing. Great end to the week. Now will be able to watch those games live. I'm surprised 7 are letting foxtel do that, but that's what the foxtel guy said on SEN the other day. The only game that won't be available live on foxtel is the GF.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

My joy at being able to watch the Foxtel footy channel next year has just been diminished somewhat :(

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/m ... 1ms3y.html

"EDDIE McGuire could emerge as the face of Fox Footy next season, with talks expected to resume this week on luring him to the pay television broadcaster...."

StSteven
Club Player

I love it. Watch games and TV when I want to, NOT when 7 says I can.

Disk only half full, but that's because we have not won enough games!!!!!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintnick12 wrote:

I have the same, though we also negotiated a second basic box in the $90 price when we moved house recently. So IQ2 for the main room and basic box upstairs.

Couldn't live without it. Had IQ1 at the other house for about the last 4 years or so and never looked back. Very rarely watch live tv now. Record everything, series link my fav shows and zap through the adds. Love it. Great for recording games too and watching again when you get home or during the week. Also great to have a few good ones on there to watch when you need to cheer yourself up...lol..

You can keep things for ever as long as you don't fill the hard drive. The IQ2 has much bigger hard drive than the usual IQ. We have not gone over 50% on the new one yet, though I'm sure that will change in the footy season.

It will be interesting to see if the price goes up. The new channel sounds great. And the fact you will be able to watch live games on foxtel when the game is delayed on FTA is fabulous. If the saints were playing in Melb, I'd be there, but love watching friday night games whoever is playing. Great end to the week. Now will be able to watch those games live. I'm surprised 7 are letting foxtel do that, but that's what the foxtel guy said on SEN the other day. The only game that won't be available live on foxtel is the GF.
I also LOVE the IQ and rarely watch the 4 free to air channels anymore. We first got pay-TV in 1997, so we could watch all the footy and re-watch St Kilda games 3 times a week and had about a $70 package until recently, but our Telstra/Foxtel contract was well and truly up, so we got on a new bundle that means we now pay the same sort of price per month, but now get the full Platinum IQHD package!
It is awesome! Once you start watching the HD channels you don't ever want to watch standard def again. When you're watching something like the cricket, in standard def and realise it's also on the HD channel and you switch over, it's like someone turned the lights on and tightened up the focus. And the doco channels in HD are AMAZING, especially for wildlife in Africa type shows. Just incredible on the big screen, in HD.
And being able to record your fav shows, or a whole series, with the touch of a button and then fast forward through the ads when you watch it back, is brilliant. What someone said about there being a lot of ads on Foxtel is very true, though. When Boston Legal was on, we'd watch, or tape that and some of the ad breaks went for as much as 5 minutes, in the middle of the show, at 11.30 at night. Even free to air channels don't have that many ads, especially at that time. It was ridiculous. So then we just started recording them, so we could fast forward through the ads. Much, much better.
Love it!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:

except you cannot keep it forever- only until you reach the limit and it drops off the end
Are you aware that you can keep something specific by pressing the blue button, when you have something highlighted on the IQ recordings list? That stops them from deleting it. I got a bit of a rude shock just after getting IQ, when all of these movies I'd recorded and watched only a few mins of got deleted, even when there was still like 20% of space left. Any movies I'd watched a bit or all of got deleted. But then i discovered the blue button and that "keeps" things you don't want deleted. Only problem is that I'm now living on about 2% of space remaining all the time. Recording the HD programs really eats up a lot of hard drive space.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

You can bargain hard and quite successfully with foxtel- well worth scrolling through the link

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 58517&p=21

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah theres an austar link over at whirlpool doing the same thing.

pvr
then you can get off what you need and want to keep 8-)

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I pay $142.50 p/m for two boxes. One HD the other standard. All channels included.

In reality it's a ripoff however I see it as cheap entertainment. There's an abundance of sport, movies and TV series.

You could say it effects my social life however married plus kid doesn't help either :wink: