Pedal to the Nettle: The way ahead for the Saints in 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Pedal to the Nettle: The way ahead for the Saints in 2012

Great interview with Michael Nettlefold about 2011 and looking forward to 2012. How great is it to be able to pick up a paper & read all this positive news. The "bubble" has well & truly burst

Michael Nettlefold on:

New coach Scott Watters

"He is composed, he is measured, he understands football. He has got good human qualities. He is technically strong. He has come out of a good system at Collingwood."

A likely new gameplan

"I don't think it's any secret that we need to be more attacking in certain areas. I would be very surprised if you don't see that coming through in Scott's style and Scott's plan."

Improving the club's image

"Our communication's team has worked hard on continuing to grow our players and their interaction with the media. That is going to be ongoing focus for us."

The move to Seaford

"We think the facility down here is outstanding and I think that is shared across the playing group."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... z1cmQoYcuk

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pedal to the Nettle: The way ahead for the Saints in 201

stkildathunda wrote:Great interview with Michael Nettlefold about 2011 and looking forward to 2012. How great is it to be able to pick up a paper & read all this positive news. The "bubble" has well & truly burst

Michael Nettlefold on:

New coach Scott Watters

"He is composed, he is measured, he understands football. He has got good human qualities. He is technically strong. He has come out of a good system at Collingwood."

A likely new gameplan

"I don't think it's any secret that we need to be more attacking in certain areas. I would be very surprised if you don't see that coming through in Scott's style and Scott's plan."

Improving the club's image

"Our communication's team has worked hard on continuing to grow our players and their interaction with the media. That is going to be ongoing focus for us."

The move to Seaford

"We think the facility down here is outstanding and I think that is shared across the playing group."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/p ... z1cmQoYcuk
Michael seems to be doing a great job down there.

Why would anybody want to SACK HIM? :shock: :roll:

philtee
Club Player

A great read. Goodness, are things falling nicely into place ?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He's improving. Got lucky that Lyin left. Saved his skin!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Looked like a lot fo words without really saying much. Not sure what the purpose of the article was.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Looked like a lot fo words without really saying much. Not sure what the purpose of the article was.
That's why journo's love reporting issues, they have more bite than feel good stories....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I have been very critical of this board and admin mainly over finances, however credit where credit is due.

1) Got someone who seems to be a very good communicator in Watters as coach

2) Have minimised the damage of SC pressures by the looks of it.

3) Have instigated a yoof Academy - could be an inspirational move

4) Have changed the relationship with the media. Doing interviews during the "dead" off season with new recruits, getting Roo to talk in a two pager, releasing news and contacting media regarding the good news stories, the members questionairre.

5) Getting some good assistants coaches especially Dean Laidley, and the new high performance guy.

It has been very positive since the appointment of Watters and the board should be commended.

We should all look forward with optimism and expectation.

6) Last but not least, I expect some good and exciting drafting later this month.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I have been very critical of this board and admin mainly over finances, however credit where credit is due.

1) Got someone who seems to be a very good communicator in Watters as coach

2) Have minimised the damage of SC pressures by the looks of it.

3) Have instigated a yoof Academy - could be an inspirational move

4) Have changed the relationship with the media. Doing interviews during the "dead" off season with new recruits, getting Roo to talk in a two pager, releasing news and contacting media regarding the good news stories, the members questionairre.

5) Getting some good assistants coaches especially Dean Laidley, and the new high performance guy.

It has been very positive since the appointment of Watters and the board should be commended.

We should all look forward with optimism and expectation.

6) Last but not least, I expect some good and exciting drafting later this month.

Agree. Congrats to Nettles and the Board for at last pulling their finger out. Their recent performance has been very good. Indeed I believe that the recent appointments including Pelchen have been superb work.

However the FF crew after coming in in a blaze of glory have been asleep at the wheel till they awoke from their slumber to nab Pelchen.

Financially, given that the Saints have been in the finals four years straight, the club' finacial performance has been a disaster.

Their treatment of Members and SC Members has been a disgrace. The President flew around Australia chasing votes and promising better member relationships...but this actually went south under the current Board.

Lyon and Misson were all due to Butters and his board...
So IMO it is about time the current Board actually starting delivering added value rather than just claiming credit for many things put in place by the previous board.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:Looked like a lot fo words without really saying much. Not sure what the purpose of the article was.
I think he wanted to do a photo shoot :wink:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Really shouldn't be hard to get good PR in November.

Then again, we've seemed to be very good at not getting it in recent times.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:[Financially, given that the Saints have been in the finals four years straight, the club' finacial performance has been a disaster.
For my own information SRS, I know we made a loss this year... how have we done over the jourrney with Footy first?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think the Board was bumbling the last few years.
But hats off how they have handled everything these last 2 months.
Calm considered and professional. They didnt panic and really made the club look sensible (for once). So well done.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

the purpose?

a good feel story. it shows increased communication beginnings of a better media image.

most articles don't have to say much, but having several positive articles lately helps the image of the club!