Daniel CURRIE ex Sydney ..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Daniel CURRIE ex Sydney ..

I have read other posters mention this chap so thought I would have a look at him!

Currie won the 2nd's Comp B&F this year - he is 201cm's - 96kg's 23 year old originally from Melbourne. He would be worth a look for a late pick in the draft if we dont grab a younger ruckmen earlier.

Would be a good back up for McEvoy!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't know anything about him, but I would be concerned if Pyke is getting games in front of him…

Has anyone seen him play? Good size.

shmic_s
Club Player

Could be insurance if McEvoy goes down. But would think Stanley is next in line.

If Ben is sidelined, then Kosi would prob ruck and Stanley come into the forward line IMO.

Or Watters could have his eye on a WAFL ruckman. Any of our WA Saints fans like the look of any running around?
Pelchan could have a left footed ruckman he's keen on getting. :lol:

Anyway, found this on Currie:
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/710 ... wsid=89096

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Currie is actually pretty decent, although funny enough, up until he was delisted he held the record of all current players to be the longest on a list without a debut – 5 years! He spent his first few seasons injured and last year in the pre-season Longmire kept saying he wanted to play him as the form was there. But then Mumford, Seaby and even Pyke stepped up ahead of him. He is young, has some talent and I will admit I am one poster happy to nab him. He is also very good up forward, so not purely a ruckman, which is a real added bonus, especially for us. I would be more than happy to see him a Saint next year, even if he is added insurance. He is certainly talented, but just hasn’t had the right opportunities, which can unfortunately sometimes happen when you play such a niche position.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

shmic_s wrote:Could be insurance if McEvoy goes down. But would think Stanley is next in line.

If Ben is sidelined, then Kosi would prob ruck and Stanley come into the forward line IMO.

Or Watters could have his eye on a WAFL ruckman. Any of our WA Saints fans like the look of any running around?
Pelchan could have a left footed ruckman he's keen on getting. :lol:

Anyway, found this on Currie:
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/710 ... wsid=89096
Ironically, Michael Rix was the best ruckman in the WAFL this year...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I don't know anything about him, but I would be concerned if Pyke is getting games in front of him…

good size?
201cm and 96kg sounds like a beanpole to me?

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:I don't know anything about him, but I would be concerned if Pyke is getting games in front of him…

good size?
Not really... Not all rucks are 200cm/100kgs...

Currie's measurements are pretty similar to King and McEvoy... Gards was about 100kg, so not a stack more, and he was a monster!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

good size?
Well we're all gaga for Stanley who is 200 & 95… albeit probably a lot faster than this guy.

Saints94
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

good size?
Well we're all gaga for Stanley who is 200 & 95… albeit probably a lot faster than this guy.
Currie is pretty athletic, remember him going good against us in a nab cup match last year

jmac101
Club Player

i don't know whether we want anything to do with sydney rejects...they seem to have a pretty good eye for talent up here.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Would be happy to nab Currie as a backup ruck. Probably the best option of the discards. He and Dowler would give us a bit of insurance in the tall stocks while still having potential for major improvement.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:Currie is actually pretty decent, although funny enough, up until he was delisted he held the record of all current players to be the longest on a list without a debut – 5 years! He spent his first few seasons injured and last year in the pre-season Longmire kept saying he wanted to play him as the form was there. But then Mumford, Seaby and even Pyke stepped up ahead of him. He is young, has some talent and I will admit I am one poster happy to nab him. He is also very good up forward, so not purely a ruckman, which is a real added bonus, especially for us. I would be more than happy to see him a Saint next year, even if he is added insurance. He is certainly talented, but just hasn’t had the right opportunities, which can unfortunately sometimes happen when you play such a niche position.
Where would you rate him on a scale of one to Adam Pattison?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

After several years on a AFL list with development in him he might be a better option than a raw 18 year old in the draft.

If he goes well I would be all for picking him up as back up to Benny Mac. Lets face it we are pretty thin in the ruck stocks and I dont think Kosi is the answer. Stanley is still there obviously but any back up we can get would be handy.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum