Is Roo’s reign as skipper coming to an end?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lendog heaven
Club Player

Is Roo’s reign as skipper coming to an end?

Been trying to read into the coach’s reported comments on the future captaincy of our club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6189356431

I am wondering whether Watters’ private view on Rooey’s captaincy has been influenced by the latter’s performances in the 2010 grannies, at a time when was a Filth assistant coach? Maybe not, but clearly it is not a given that the skipper will continue in that role beyond 2011.

This leads to speculation on who might assume the mantle and BJ is the obvious choice for me (I have made the assumption that Lenny’s age and stage of career rule him out).

BJ’s passion for his footy club is patently obvious and he has matured into an outstanding leader in recent times. He handles himself extremely well with the media and I reckon would be a worthy successor to Roo.

As captain he might be less inclined to countenance offers from other clubs (I’m more worried about free agency than GWS) and more likely see out his career with the mighty Saints.

What do people reckon?
:?:

Tramps like us.............
saintlee
Club Player

Being Captain didn't stop Judd leaving WCE. Not sure it would make much difference to BJ either if we was considering big dollars from GWS....

Anyway, not sure the article means anything, I expect Rooey will remain Captain next year.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I think the issue is one that has been dealt with tact and good sense by the coach. it isn't a "issue for discussion in November" Roo is professional enough not to get precious about his role as captain. One of my pals said to me yesterday at the "ad shoot" that a "joint captaincy" as Sydney did could be an option. I'm inclined to see positives in such a move.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's an interesting situation. Last year, when things were going very badly for Roo, I thought that relieving him of the captaincy would free him up to focus more on himself. Now, I am not so sure, with recent events and Rooey's obvious change of attitude, However, future form is very difficult to predict.

I would be happy with Goddard as the obvious next choice. At the end of the day, it's up to Roo and the Club to talk things through. I don't think that the Captaincy would be a deal breaker for Roo, but then again, he has stated publicly, that he would like to continue as Captain.

I wouldn't be against dual Captains either, so long as they both weren't at the same end of the ground. From what I see of the talk on the ground, I think that we already have informal "line captains."

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If they don't do it now, you'd think he'll have to captain until he retires else it would get even more awkward to remove it?

I thought it should of been done end of 2010, but with Watters coming on board, there is still a window to change it up.

BJ is ready IMO, surprised so many aren't at least curious to see how he'd go as captain, seriously...not even a little bit curious?

As Roo said, I don't expect him to change his leadership around the club, but I reckon it will impact his match day pressure enormously.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If they don't do it now, you'd think he'll have to captain until he retires else it would get even more awkward to remove it?

I thought it should of been done end of 2010, but with Watters coming on board, there is still a window to change it up.

BJ is ready IMO, surprised so many aren't at least curious to see how he'd go as captain, seriously...not even a little bit curious?

As Roo said, I don't expect him to change his leadership around the club, but I reckon it will impact his match day pressure enormously.
I am curious to see how Raph would go as captain. Maybe he should get it to see how he responds. By the way if the match day pressure is enormous why give it to BJ. It may effect his game. I havent seen it effect Rooy. What I did see this year was a guy struggling with injury.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:If they don't do it now, you'd think he'll have to captain until he retires else it would get even more awkward to remove it?

I am curious to see how Raph would go as captain. Maybe he should get it to see how he responds. By the way if the match day pressure is enormous why give it to BJ. It may effect his game. I havent seen it effect Rooy. What I did see this year was a guy struggling with injury.
I have.

Last year.

You appear to struggle with the fact that not everyone has an opinion the same as yours?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have.

Last year.

You appear to struggle with the fact that not everyone has an opinion the same as yours?
No you can have your opinion and surely I can disagree. And I do in this case. Last year Rooy was injured most of the year and i thought he did pretty well when he came back. This year Rooy played injured as acknowledged by many around the club.

St.Roly
Club Player

I am totally content with Roo continuing, however I would not be averse - if it was handled properly - to seeking to use the captaincy as bait to get BJ to sign up to a long term deal.

By handling it "properly" what I have in mind first and foremost is sounding Roo out in a totally transparent way on the prospect of "happily" handing it over with purely positive sentiment.

The Hawks seemed to manage the Mitchell to Hodge shift reasonably seamlessly if my memory is correct.

loris
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have.

Last year.

No you can have your opinion and surely I can disagree. And I do in this case. Last year Rooy was injured most of the year and i thought he did pretty well when he came back. This year Rooy played injured as acknowledged by many around the club.
Well if both Rooey & BJ struggled this year (for whatever reasons), maybe the mantle of captain should be rewarded for player(s) who consistently worked their butts off for the team throughout 2011??

Some names that spring to mind are Dal Santo and big MacEvoy. Both went about their business with a minimum of fuss....led on the field by their actions.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't think it's entirely fair to assess it based on injury Loris, obviously Roo and BJ were both carrying significant niggles this year...I don't think it was any lack of effort, in fact I'm confident they would both have loved bigger outputs?

It's easy to be chipper in November, but fact is, the pressure will be back on Nick again once the season starts....especially if Saints do well, the talk will all be about his past failed premiership campaigns, and how he needs to captain the side to the ultimate to be considered great, and can St Nick carry his side over the line...

Who needs that?

Not Nick, IMO.

gosaints
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to assess it based on injury Loris, obviously Roo and BJ were both carrying significant niggles this year...I don't think it was any lack of effort, in fact I'm confident they would both have loved bigger outputs?

It's easy to be chipper in November, but fact is, the pressure will be back on Nick again once the season starts....especially if Saints do well, the talk will all be about his past failed premiership campaigns, and how he needs to captain the side to the ultimate to be considered great, and can St Nick carry his side over the line...

Who needs that?

Not Nick, IMO.
I don't think the pressure will change one bit with either Roo or BJ, captain or not.
The pressure they have is the knowledge that if they aren't playing well we can't win the flag. Especially Roo.

We can take the captaincy off Roo but he still has the pressure of being the only bloke in our forwardline consistently capable of ripping a game apart. The weight on his shoulders will not change.

loris
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to assess it based on injury Loris, obviously Roo and BJ were both carrying significant niggles this year...I don't think it was any lack of effort, in fact I'm confident they would both have loved bigger outputs?

Who needs that?

Not Nick, IMO.
Yep take your point Sainter K................... I'm more inclined to stick with Roo for another season. Need some continuity as there will be enough change happening, next season Also the GSW thingy will keep rearing it's ugly head if BJ hasn't signed throughout the year........... a bit too disruptive me thinks.

More my post was to get a response from the 'plugging one' to deflect him off your back!! He does seem to take a joy at jumping in on anyone that might post something that may invite a discussion that he hasn't started.

Think he must lust after you Sainter K as he seems to stalk your posts a lot.....don't envy you :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

It doesn't bother me who's captain.

In terms of the comments made by Roo and Watters it seemed to me that these were not generated by the club, but were in response to journalist questions and as such they just gave standard answers, i.e. it's not one persons decision, and that decision hasn't been addressed yet.

That doesn't mean there will/won't be a change, it may be exactly what they said, it just hasn't been discussed yet.

I think it may be good for Roo to captain outside the bubble for a year, and actually relax and enjoy it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:

Who needs that?

Not Nick, IMO.
Yep take your point Sainter K................... I'm more inclined to stick with Roo for another season. Need some continuity as there will be enough change happening, next season Also the GSW thingy will keep rearing it's ugly head if BJ hasn't signed throughout the year........... a bit too disruptive me thinks.

More my post was to get a response from the 'plugging one' to deflect him off your back!! He does seem to take a joy at jumping in on anyone that might post something that may invite a discussion that he hasn't started.

Think he must lust after you Sainter K as he seems to stalk your posts a lot.....don't envy you :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Yep I stalk. I may start on you now. fair dinkum. People write something and everyone should just go and hold hands and say that makes sense. The worst part is you agree with me but then you say you write crap so i will have a go at you.

Yep and I lust over a name on a computer. Loris is a name I really lust over. That and Stinger.

defacto
Club Player

would love to see the following

2012:
Captain: Lenny
Vice Captain: BJ

2013:
Captain: BJ
Vice Captain: Dal Santo

dragit
Saintsational Legend

They could give it to Zac.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I was against Reiwoldt getting the captaincy and I was in favour of Hayes

My opinion still stands - I dont think Roo is a natural leader - it seems that he really has to work at it and it doesn't really flow through him.

Whilst Roo is an absolute champion I think he would be better off without the captaincy whereas I think someone like BJ would be better off with it

A great leader is someone you should fear but respect at the same time - unfortunately when I look at Nick whilst the respect is there I dont feel the fear

We are going through quite a bit if change at the moment and I think Nick losing the captaincy and giving it to someone else would be another step in the right direction

Lets shed the pain of the last few years and begin afresh - reinvigorate the team and the club and get ready for another assault

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Megsie
Club Player

Rooey became captain when The Gold Coast was looking to
secure him way back.
New era new captain.
Hope it's BJ. It never affected Lenny when Roo was made capt.
perhaps it helped to make him even greater as a person & player.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:Rooey became captain when The Gold Coast was looking to
secure him way back.
New era new captain.
Hope it's BJ. It never affected Lenny when Roo was made capt.
perhaps it helped to make him even greater as a person & player.
there are PLENTY of champion players/leadres/blokes in the AFL who arent captain. So I really think Roo wouldnt miss any sleep if BJ got the gig.

To name a few -
Jimmy Bartel/Pendleberry/Swan/Cloke/Franklin/Kerr/Selwood/

Id have no problems using the captaincy as bait to keep BJ .

Gershwin
Club Player

I can't think of a better captain of StKFC than Nick Riewoldt.

His application and leadership is first class. I think he inspires others through his effort and has the respect of all players.

If you want to change things just because we have a new coach then lets change our colours to green and yellow and call ourselves the budgerigars.

summertime and the living is easy ........
sainterinsydney
Club Player

I still think Lenny Hayes should be captain. That man has a heart of iron! However, I would also like to see Goddard as captain as well. I really think Riewoldt should be given a rest from the captaincy, so he can concentrate on playing to his potential.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I also would like to Lenny take on the Captaincy again. He was brilliant last time. However, the doubt over his being fit for Round 1 may be enough to exclude him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:I still think Lenny Hayes should be captain. That man has a heart of iron! However, I would also like to see Goddard as captain as well. I really think Riewoldt should be given a rest from the captaincy, so he can concentrate on playing to his potential.
Roo's fine by me, but I'd love Lendog with the (c) next to his name.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
sainterinsydney wrote:I still think Lenny Hayes should be captain. That man has a heart of iron! However, I would also like to see Goddard as captain as well. I really think Riewoldt should be given a rest from the captaincy, so he can concentrate on playing to his potential.
Roo's fine by me, but I'd love Lendog with the (c) next to his name.
I don't subscribe to any view that it has to be a mid or a forward.

Roo's fine by me also, however if we are to make a change there wouldn't be many more deserving than Sam Fisher.