Less than 2 days to go and still no movement...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Kilda
Club Player

Less than 2 days to go and still no movement...

Despite various media reports earlier in the week of hopeful re-signings, it remains the fact that the following 7 players are still yet to sign new contracts. The clock is ticking...

(1) Zac Dawson
(2) Sean Dempster
(3) Jason Blake
(4) Dean Polo
(5) Raphael Clarke
(6) Brett Peake
(7) Farren Ray

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Less than 2 days to go and still no movement...

Kilda wrote:Despite various media reports earlier in the week of hopeful re-signings, it remains the fact that the following 7 players are still yet to sign new contracts. The clock is ticking...

(1) Zac Dawson
(2) Sean Dempster
(3) Jason Blake
(4) Dean Polo
(5) Raphael Clarke
(6) Brett Peake
(7) Farren Ray
How is that fact?

There have been reports that several of those players have already signed. Do you know something that the rest of us don't?

swarta
Club Player

he's saying the club or afl.com have not announced anything. What he is overlooking is that the club will not announce anything until all agreements are finalised

sent from my iphone.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

1. Ray
2. Dempster
3. Dawson
4. Blake
5. Peake
6. Clarke
7. Polo

In order of importance to next years chances IMO..

I expect a big change in output from Ray in particular, he needs to take the step.. And Dempster needs to match his '11 output, which will be difficult to achieve..

Dawson is important to structure, but isn't be all and end all..

Blake is useful backup..

Players 5 through 7 should be VFL all year if we're gonna step up again..

saintnick12
Club Player

Different articles seemingly listing different players too. So Watter mentioned contracts on the table for three - so we would hope a few of the others have been tied up.

Nettlefold said on Monday night on SEN that they hoped to make announcements in the next 24-48 hrs...which has been and gone and we are still no closer. I gather they are going to announce it all together.

The common theme seems to be that Zac is gone and the rest will sign...eventually. I could live with that as much as I don't want to lose Zac. What scares me is if one or two others go as well...that would be a disaster.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Different articles seemingly listing different players too. So Watter mentioned contracts on the table for three - so we would hope a few of the others have been tied up.

Nettlefold said on Monday night on SEN that they hoped to make announcements in the next 24-48 hrs...which has been and gone and we are still no closer. I gather they are going to announce it all together.

The common theme seems to be that Zac is gone and the rest will sign...eventually. I could live with that as much as I don't want to lose Zac. What scares me is if one or two others go as well...that would be a disaster.
You'd have to hope the loss will be one or none.

If a few were to go, as in your worse case scenario, you'd have to think it increases the likelihood that some mature aged recruits will find their way to Seaford via the various drafts.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't like to be negative about any of our players but I would have Dawson as a priority and while the others are important they aren't structural.

I expect different players to shine under a new coach and if they are allowed to play with natural flair, guys like Raph might just bloom.

Same for Polo, conservatism doesn't inspire all players. Dempster had a great year but he is the one player that could go backwards with out the rigid adherence to plan.

To the top
SS Life Member

I assume that some on here are very hung over for a few days after St Kilda play because they must surely go to the football to drink and not to actually watch the football being played.

Ray is a required player because of his skills including particularly his excellent overhead marking where he is near the benchmark in our side.

Dempster - We can only afford one "Dempster" type in our side. Has the discipline to be able to mostly subdue his opponent but of limited value to the "generation" requirements of AFL footy today. Jones works far better off his man.

Dawson - very, very average lacking the mental attributes to play at this level. No physical presence in a position which requires a physical presence. Looks and plays scared.

Blake - the fact that he has got to 199 games speaks to the deficiencies in our team and particularly the "bottom 6" in our team. A 189cm ruckman!! Spare me!!!! Needs to play as a "spare" defender to win the ball - then he has to dispose!!! And some complain about Clarke!!!!!

Peake - Improved when played forward with a specific role (because our other mid sized and small attacking players have no defensive or chase skills) BUT did not impact enough the other way - scoreboard pressure. With a hopefully restructured forward set up will not be required as a "compensation" player for the deficiencies of others. Therefore will struggle.

Clarke - an automatic selection. Selfless player as demonstrated by his backing into pack marking contests. Positions and directs very well in defence and, with a more attacking game plan and forwards actually in the forward line instead of seeing no one when you look up - and forced to stop and prop, then go sideways or backwards - will prosper. Came off an interrupted pre-season in 2011.

Polo- could not get a game for Richmond, comes to St Kilda and is a regular (albeit Hayes missed the season). An adpt description of why we have not improved as required from 2009 - by improving our "bottom 6". A succinct summary of Lyon's list management.

To the top
SS Life Member

I assume that some on here are very hung over for a few days after St Kilda play because they must surely go to the football to drink and not to actually watch the football being played.

Ray is a required player because of his skills including particularly his excellent overhead marking where he is near the benchmark in our side.

Dempster - We can only afford one "Dempster" type in our side. Has the discipline to be able to mostly subdue his opponent but of limited value to the "generation" requirements of AFL footy today. Jones works far better off his man.

Dawson - very, very average lacking the mental attributes to play at this level. No physical presence in a position which requires a physical presence. Looks and plays scared.

Blake - the fact that he has got to 199 games speaks to the deficiencies in our team and particularly the "bottom 6" in our team. A 189cm ruckman!! Spare me!!!! Needs to play as a "spare" defender to win the ball - then he has to dispose!!! And some complain about Clarke!!!!!

Peake - Improved when played forward with a specific role (because our other mid sized and small attacking players have no defensive or chase skills) BUT did not impact enough the other way - scoreboard pressure. With a hopefully restructured forward set up will not be required as a "compensation" player for the deficiencies of others. Therefore will struggle.

Clarke - an automatic selection. Selfless player as demonstrated by his backing into pack marking contests. Positions and directs very well in defence and, with a more attacking game plan and forwards actually in the forward line instead of seeing no one when you look up - and forced to stop and prop, then go sideways or backwards - will prosper. Came off an interrupted pre-season in 2011.

Polo- could not get a game for Richmond, comes to St Kilda and is a regular (albeit Hayes missed the season). An adpt description of why we have not improved as required from 2009 - by improving our "bottom 6". A succinct summary of Lyon's list management.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Jones has signed by all accounts, but not officially either...so I guess is still on the unofficial list.

Legendary
Club Player

To the top wrote: Dempster - We can only afford one "Dempster" type in our side. Has the discipline to be able to mostly subdue his opponent but of limited value to the "generation" requirements of AFL footy today. Jones works far better off his man.
5th in the B&F, beat his opponent every week in the way Max Hudghton used to and provided good rebound with his kicking skills from half-back. Had a great season. Can easily play alongside another negating player.
To the top wrote: Blake - the fact that he has got to 199 games speaks to the deficiencies in our team and particularly the "bottom 6" in our team. A 189cm ruckman!! Spare me!!!! Needs to play as a "spare" defender to win the ball - then he has to dispose!!! And some complain about Clarke!!!!!
Has not played in the ruck for about 6 years, apart from sparingly in individual matches. Has consistently been measured at 191cm on club records.

Was a key defender in the best backline every to play AFL football (2009). Played every single match 2007-2010. Also played nearly every match available under previous coach 2004-06. Has been a regular in a football team that has consistently contested preliminary finals.

You don't play 200 games of AFL football and be ordinary. His defensive skills are outstanding, his courage is excellent, he is very athletic for his size, has enormous endurance and is very versatile.
To the top wrote: Clarke - an automatic selection. Selfless player as demonstrated by his backing into pack marking contests. Positions and directs very well in defence and, with a more attacking game plan and forwards actually in the forward line instead of seeing no one when you look up - and forced to stop and prop, then go sideways or backwards - will prosper. Came off an interrupted pre-season in 2011.
His interrupted pre-season must have been his 10th interrupted pre-season? Cannot get his body right to play anywhere near consistent football. Has been at the club 8 years and has not finished anywhere near the top 15 in the B&F.

He lacks awareness - even he has admitted it, as did Lyon - and has poor vision and poor decision-making skills.

Certainly has some strengths, but 82 games in 8 years does not suggest he is nearly as good as you make him out to be.

Middo
Club Player

To the top wrote:I assume that some on here are very hung over for a few days after St Kilda play because they must surely go to the football to drink and not to actually watch the football being played.

While I agree with your first two comments I think Dawson is a must until we find his replacement and if Clarke is an automatic selection we are in trouble.....Will be interesting how Watters handles a player like Raph ..?

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

agree with some of those evaluations. but strange that raph (fairly) gets a guernsey for selfless play, yet not blake - the epitome of the selfless player.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I assume that some on here are very hung over for a few days after St Kilda play because they must surely go to the football to drink and not to actually watch the football being played.

And you accuse others of drinking. Dawson is very very average and scared. Yep thats why he has played nearly every game for the last 3 years and has been one of our best finals performer in that time. I am just guessing but arent you the one who wanted Milney out and Cahill in the 22. Well how is that looking now. I will take it you also drink and drink heavily at games.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is your user name a personal goal because you really are on the bottom when it comes to football knowledge. At least you have something to aim for.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Both Scott Watters & Michael Nettlefold said on Tuesday that there would be an announcement on this matter in the next 24-48 hours. That being the case, we should expect an announcement some time today.

They have stuck to "THEIR" timeframes with NO leaks lately. I expect this to be the same !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Dawson one of our best finals performers over the last three years? Where do you get that from? Not from watching the games surely?

ThePunter
Club Player

Here's your movement:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

Peake, Polo, Dempster, Ray & Clarke re-signed.

Dawson gone.

Blake to be delisted as he is currently a veteran listed player, but to be re-drafted onto primary list.

Saints94
SS Life Member

ThePunter wrote:Here's your movement:

Dawson gone.

Blake to be delisted as he is currently a veteran listed player, but to be re-drafted onto primary list.
So we waste a draft pick on Blake? :?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Thats a pretty good effort by Farren Ray. 71 games in just two seasons, when the club played about 49.

saintlee
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:

Dawson gone.

Depends if you consider it a waste. We have plenty of picks, it will be a pick in the 90s or something.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:

Dawson gone.

But don't we pick up one by delisting him in the first place? :wink:

Saints94
SS Life Member

saintlee wrote:
Saints94 wrote:

Dawson gone.

Depends if you consider it a waste. We have plenty of picks, it will be a pick in the 90s or something.
True :)

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:

Dawson gone.

What's wrong with pick 105?

Another opportunity awaits!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Saints94 wrote:

Dawson gone.

What's wrong with pick 105?
Maybe Ross will pick him before us :shock: