Goddard will go to GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Goddard will go to GWS

Goddard will end up leaving us at the end of this year for GWS. meanwhile collingwood will not lose any of its high profile players. it is alleged that theres is an agreement between eddie and gubby that no collingwood players will be poached:

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?bl ... ments=true

BelfastSaint
Club Player

Re: Goddard will go to GWS

defacto wrote:Goddard will end up leaving us at the end of this year for GWS. meanwhile collingwood will not lose any of its high profile players. it is alleged that theres is an agreement between eddie and gubby that no collingwood players will be poached:

re Goddard ... is this just your opinion ...?

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:re Goddard ... is this just your opinion ...?
no it's his paranoia

also wtf is the benefit to having a deal not to poach collingwood stars where does GWS win from that? I wouldn't be surprised if they have already signed pendal's last year and thats why he onlt signed a 12 month contract.

If anyone in the media is not in the know it's Thommo

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:
no it's his paranoia

also wtf is the benefit to having a deal not to poach collingwood stars where does GWS win from that? I wouldn't be surprised if they have already signed pendal's last year and thats why he onlt signed a 12 month contract.

Have to disagree there. He was a senior coach for 5 years and works on one of the most high-profile football shows in the country. Yet he doesn't know anything or know persons that know such?

He is the anti-media media performer and he is fantastic.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
no it's his paranoia

Have to disagree there. He was a senior coach for 5 years and works on one of the most high-profile football shows in the country. Yet he doesn't know anything or know persons that know such?

He is also very bitter towards the AFL and purposely pots them at every opportunity. Like a person scorned.

Thus making his opinion anything AFL related worth completely nothing. As it is biased.

You're not going to get a balanced view.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
no it's his paranoia

He is also very bitter towards the AFL and purposely pots them at every opportunity. Like a person scorned.

Thus making his opinion anything AFL related worth completely nothing. As it is biased.

When does one ever get a balanced view though?

At least GT damn entertaining.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Spinner wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
no it's his paranoia

When does one ever get a balanced view though?

At least GT damn entertaining.

Great argument.

At least vying for a balance view is a start. When someone has a vendetta against someone or something, well good luck to the people who put weight into that persons viewpoints.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the weekly Bj THREAD,
Welcome back to training Beej, atleast the flight home was shorter than expected

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

what has the afl got to do with a personal deal between eddy and gubby?
as much i hate him i would never underestimate eddy. he is connected and he does deals well. lets face it.

i think given where the saints were in 2011 (hell) - then in that environment BJ may have agreed to go then.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:Goddard will end up leaving us at the end of this year for GWS. meanwhile collingwood will not lose any of its high profile players. it is alleged that theres is an agreement between eddie and gubby that no collingwood players will be poached:

I must have missed the bit about Goddard in there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

are we all going to have a weekly debate on whether Goddard goes to GWS next year?

why don't we just sticky it

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
no it's his paranoia

I think you will find that the bitterness is a whole lot more personal than that. It is the Grant Thomas v Andrew Demetriou war that started when Thommo was Chairman of Selectors at North Melbourne at the time that Demetriou was sacked as a player and sent off to Hawthorn. Both are very vindictive people and the war between them does not show any signs of letting up !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Ross who?
Club Player

BJ is not even mentioned in the link in the OP??? :roll:

The title of the post is opinion only. Why does this type of BS get put up all the time. This is exactly why SS is being "bagged" on other forums. :evil:

Blake Acres fan club VIP
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

In an attempt to "control" the entire launch and journey of the GWS Giants, Andrew Demetriou made the fatal mistake to hand-pick people he could manage and manipulate to his own end. He effectively became the puppeteer for the puppet show. He forgot that the AFL are there to support and administer the game. His own ego and profile gave him the false impression he in fact "was the game" and it was his duty to completely control this new and exciting venture.
:lol: :lol: :lol: GT doesn't pull any punches.
Demetriou wants to be able to retire soon and no doubt sit back in his leather recliner at home, salivate over the premierships achieved by a team he not only sired but also incubated, delivered and reared.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 28 Nov 2011 10:05am, edited 1 time in total.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Corruption is rife within the AFL...

Corruption is rife within the AFL...it is indicitive of a lot of industry dealings that come out of Victoria.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:what has the afl got to do with a personal deal between eddy and gubby?
as much i hate him i would never underestimate eddy. he is connected and he does deals well. lets face it.

i think given where the saints were in 2011 (hell) - then in that environment BJ may have agreed to go then.
Collingwood can merely pay GWS not to poach any of its' players.
Such payments are not within the salary cap.
Collingwood is so flush with cash they can't spend it all.

Every Collingwood supporter who wanted a "members" ticket to the Grand Final had to have previously paid a smalll fortune to become an MCG Legends member.
That is on the chance that Collingwood would play.

Eddie was so upset that the AFL allowed non competing clubs to scalp grand final packages.
If the AFL gave those tickets to Collingwood "members" instead, Eddie would be able to scalp even more money for his club only.
Scalping bogan style.

Makes St Kilda's demand to be a social club member look tame.

Collingwood has plenty of apare cash to pay GWS not to poach any of its players.
Last edited by ace on Mon 28 Nov 2011 12:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Duplicate Delisted

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
jays
Club Player

lol ok

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon if Goddard was going to GWS it would have been at this years trade period. You look at GWS's age demographic and Goddard at 28 by the 2013 season doesn't fit it. Pendlebury would be more of a chance IMO. That doesn't rule Goddard from going to another club though, just not GWS.

older saint
SS Life Member

Reality is 12 months of speculation ala Skully.

Most likely Goddard will go based on the ridiculous money that he will be offered.

Most likely Pendelbury will go based on money offered and he only signed for one year, which is a strange decision saying leaving options open.

Best chance of Goddard staying is if Hurley goes as he will cost much more and he and Pendlebury younger than Goddard.

We cannot control this so lets not stress over it.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Reality is 12 months of speculation ala Skully.

Most likely Goddard will go based on the ridiculous money that he will be offered.

Most likely Pendelbury will go based on money offered and he only signed for one year, which is a strange decision saying leaving options open.

Best chance of Goddard staying is if Hurley goes as he will cost much more and he and Pendlebury younger than Goddard.

We cannot control this so lets not stress over it.
Agree 100% old timer 8-)

Doctor Two
Club Player

I think the stay/ go situation will also depend on how the club is going.

If we look like we are a chance to get to the big dance again he may stay. If we look like we are bottoming out then big $$$ and no chance of a premiership may see him walk out the door

paddy
Club Player

What can you do????

If they offer up the big big bucks to him, and he goes, as sad as I will be, I wouldn't blame him.

If they offered him big bucks and he stays, then we should put a statue of him outside linen house!

However, it seems that their strategy is to make a team that is going to be in contention in about 5 years. (I think anyway)

So, with this in mind better for them to go for pendles, or another 22/23 year old, as they will right in their wheel house in 5 years, rather than goddard who will be 30 in five years.

Its just a theory, but one that I am going to cling to... lol

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Nothing we can do.

It is very weird they never landed a really big fish for 2012. Who will be their captain next season? They will be a real chopping block in the first year.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

GT's article is probably a bit too paranoid in terms of its portrayal of AD as a total control freak, but it is quite evocative of the rather surreal nature of the GWS venture.

Basically, a bunch of temporarily-outposted Victorians are setting up a football club in an alien and hostile environment. The purpose of the exercise is some sort of vision which is based far more on wishful thinking rather than it is on any objective analysis of the costs and benefits of the venture. They are going to have to bring all necessary means of support with them and are going to remain completely dependent for their survival on their home authorities for decades, if not forever.

When you think about it, it's all a bit reminiscent of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Essington

GWS do not seem to have made an Ablett-type signing: Scully is a big deal because of the fuss about him, but he's hardly a superstar right now. And nobody is expecting even half as much from Israel Folau as Karmichael Hunt has delivered for the Suns (which was rather more than I was anticipating).

Also, there are a lot of "expats" from the southern states on the Gold Coast who will turn out to watch an AFL game regardless of who is playing. Are there going to be any of these in the western suburbs of Sydney?

I'm expecting to see GWS fans outnumbered by opposition supporters at most games in 2012.

It could turn out to be a bit of a debacle. I certainly hope so.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift