Kosi to defence?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Kosi to defence?

Well, just maybe....he certainly has trimmed down, and is looking fit.

You'd think his body would welcome a bit of a change up from 'bash and crash' and I have certainly always thought he is a better footballer than the role he played.

A genuine utility in 2012 perhaps?

Watters also signaled that Koschitzke was another player who could find himself in various roles in 2012.

The 29-year-old has imposed his 197cm and 93kg frame mainly in attack and ruck, but spent his debut season in 2001 at centre half-back.

"He is really healthy and his leadership with the young players has shone through in the past couple of weeks,'' Watters said.

"He is a quality forward with ruck capabilities and he can play back. He will play in all these positions depending on circumstances.

"We want to challenge him with different roles. I have always rated his competitive instincts.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6213084268

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

God help the club if he plays in defence. Why would we even think about it.

noddy04
Club Player

Why God help the club? I have seen Kosi in defence a few times during games and he seems pretty ok to me

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:God help the club if he plays in defence. Why would we even think about it.
People suggest you're very knowledgeable when it comes to footy plugger and from my own observations that seems true.

However if Scotty reckons its a good thing that Kosi spends some time in defence then I'll take his judgement over yours any day.

Sorry.

skfc17
Club Player

He needs to be kicking goals.perhaps in a role like Richo at the end
Of his Career

Carn the mighty Sainters
PJ
SS Life Member

Not in a key position but filling the whole when we're under siege perhaps.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:God help the club if he plays in defence. Why would we even think about it.
People suggest you're very knowledgeable when it comes to footy plugger and from my own observations that seems true.

However if Scotty reckons its a good thing that Kosi spends some time in defence then I'll take his judgement over yours any day.

Sorry.
Of course he knows a hundred times more than me but he will not play as a backman. He makes honey look quick. And that isnt Gary.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Not in a key position but filling the whole when we're under siege perhaps.
Yes that's how I read it.

A bit of everything, where he needs to be.

He is pretty lean these days, not exactly easy to be mobile when you've been beefed up to crash packs.

Looking forward to Kosi playing football, not a role, which he can do.

PJ
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
PJ wrote:Not in a key position but filling the whole when we're under siege perhaps.

He is pretty lean these days, not exactly easy to be mobile when you've been beefed up to crash packs.

Kosi has always looked better off the lead

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Of course will do that when he is rucking but surely with our apparently attacking footy we arent going to send a forward back to be a spare man in defence. Sounds very negative to me.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Kosi has always looked better off the lead
Way off it :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi to defence?

SainterK wrote:Well, just maybe....he certainly has trimmed down, and is looking fit.

You'd think his body would welcome a bit of a change up from 'bash and crash' and I have certainly always thought he is a better footballer than the role he played.

A genuine utility in 2012 perhaps?

Watters also signaled that Koschitzke was another player who could find himself in various roles in 2012.

The 29-year-old has imposed his 197cm and 93kg frame mainly in attack and ruck, but spent his debut season in 2001 at centre half-back.

"He is really healthy and his leadership with the young players has shone through in the past couple of weeks,'' Watters said.

"He is a quality forward with ruck capabilities and he can play back. He will play in all these positions depending on circumstances.

"We want to challenge him with different roles. I have always rated his competitive instincts.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6213084268
Coaches talk a lot of sh!t generally and especially in the off season. Unless we want to get opened up, I really doubt Kosi will play any major role down back.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Sam Gilbert meant to be our brilliant new forward this time last year...?

Unless I'm missing something, Kosi doesn't have the athletic capacity to keep up with today's forwards.

He doesn't have a burst speed. His wonderful 2001 season, when he was brilliant at CHB, is now 11 years ago.

If his body is in peak condition, he can return to the forward line. If not, he can float between the forward and the ruck.
Last edited by evertonfc on Sat 03 Dec 2011 9:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

jays
Club Player

to slow

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Second ruck.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

yes too slow as a regular KPP. However, he may be able to contribute as a defender against the resting ruckman which is becoming more frequent. He'd match up well against a Jolly, Hale or Cox. We have limited tall back options with Zac gone. I think we'd be stretched if the resting ruck went forward. Especially if Blake or Wilkes or Simpkin get injured.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They all play back during a game, but the day I see Kosi line up in the backline will be the end for me. He's too slow, has no vision and will leak goals like a sieve.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Wasn't Sam Gilbert meant to be our brilliant new forward this time last year...?

Unless I'm missing something, Kosi doesn't have the athletic capacity to keep up with today's forwards.

He doesn't have a burst speed. His wonderful 2001 season, when he was brilliant at CHB, is now 11 years ago.

If his body is in peak condition, he can return to the forward line. If not, he can float between the forward and the ruck.
Only took one game to prove that Gilbert is not a forwards bootlace

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

He plays a good floating follower role at times and is able to clunk a few marks in the defensive side of the ground when playing the role.

This should be the extension of his defending and one would suggest he would be playing as a follower to contest the ruck and not take a few contested marks when necessary.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dont think he should play in defence, dont think he will either.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Meh

We'll see.

Heard many a time people pronounce 'he can't play there' and 'he isn't up to scratch' over the journey about heaps of different players...

I like when people are wrong :)

He didn't say he will be a key defender, just that he will spend some time there.

I just wanna see guys shine now, no more 'he plays his role' business, let guys flourish and be good at what they do....it is ok to be good at what you do afterall.

MadDogMuir

Needs to develop into a ruckman

There is no other position. Slow and unaware. If he could learn to palm the ball and get some stamina hell survive, otherwise he won't last[/code]

crippa2sipa
Club Player

Defence? Ruck? Forward? Futile debate. Hollywood will nab him before the season starts.

Kosi's such a hunk he makes Brad Pitt look putrid.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

As sure as xmas comes around at this time - one certainty in life is the obligatory kosi to centre half back thread. First of several I suspect.
Won't happen.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no idea plugger
chb he'd slot straight in
hits packs
takes marks
big kick out from the back 50
we've seen it plenty of times over the years