NAB cup qualifying

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

NAB cup qualifying

In the Nab cup there are 3 rounds. In the first round all the teams are split into groups of three for two 20-minute half games each, like last year, then unlike last year, there are another two rounds of 1-vs-1 normal time games.

Does anyone know what the next round/s are? And what the system for qualification is? I can't seem to find it....

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
philtee
Club Player

Here's the link to the full fixture -
http://www.afl.com.au/nabcup/fixture/ta ... fault.aspx

And this is from Wikipedia -
"All matches will count equally with four points for a win and percentage also being taken into account. The two best-performed teams over the three rounds (two shortened games and two full games) will play off in the NAB Cup Grand Final on 17 March. The sixteen teams which do not make the Grand Final will play one last preseason match at various metropolitan locations across Australia in week 5."

The venue for the March 3 game against the Bombers is....Wangaratta !
Anyone know about the actual venue ?
Last edited by philtee on Tue 27 Dec 2011 11:47am, edited 1 time in total.

philtee
Club Player

Well, I've answered my own question -

"Bombers and Saints to launch the new Wangaratta Showgrounds"

http://www.wangaratta.vic.gov.au/counci ... launch.asp

AND -
"The redevelopment of the Wangaratta Showgrounds (Norm Minns Oval) is expected to be completed by mid 2011. The ground is expected to hold approximately 13,000 people by the end on the redevelopment. Other things that are to happen are the installation of AFL standard lighting and the building of a large multi-purpose facility.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info. ... sID=194900

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

The third game the saints play is in Perth against the WCE

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
jays
Club Player

should give the nab cup away and have longer season

bozza1980
Club Player

jays wrote:should give the nab cup away and have longer season
I'm sort of coming to the same belief.

I know the club's have spent a good part of the last decade or so making a mockery of the NAB Cup, I still felt it was a worthwhile exercise until the AFL started to make a mockery of it, like they have the last two seasons.

We now have a situation where a team that has won all it's games can be eliminated, and this is because the AFL wants to guarantee the amount of preseason games the clubs play??

Ridiculous.

Under past incarnations once clubs stopped competiting for silware, they were put into a practice match circuit, hence guaranteeing the amount of preseason games they play.

How hard would it have been to have the bottom 4 sides play in an earlier round "to qualify for the main draw" then have straight knock out and the regular losers practice matches from their??

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

been saying the same thing for years
increase the roster,increase the games, change a few rules here and there, make the travel a bit fairer etc etc

f*** the NAB
only watch it to see some juniors run around

que plugger to come on and completely disagree

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:been saying the same thing for years
increase the roster,increase the games, change a few rules here and there, make the travel a bit fairer etc etc

f*** the NAB

Something like this :P

St.Carl
Club Player

I agree.

I think that the NAB cup is now well past its use by date.

Whereas it may have given teams an opportunity for a good pre-season hit out, it doesn't any more. The idea that a team can test its game plan in the NAB is long gone. Any new game plan ideas are more commonly held in reserve until Round 1 so as to not give too many ideas to opposing teams early on. In fact, by holding back on any new ideas until Round 1 means that you have a team out there (in teh NAB) that are working on tactics that are different to what they might do a week or two later - can't be good!

As for being an opportunity to try out new players, isn't that what the VFL is for these days?

The regular season is now distorted by the mismatch between the number of teams and the number of rounds. Long gone is the fairness of a Home and Away season where you play each team twice (& when each team had their own home ground). Doing away with the NAB could help to iron out some of these distortions but with 18 teams you would need 34 rounds to get back to a home and away balance. Still, a 28 round comp would be more equitable than what we have got now.

Scrap the NAB and extend the real season!

St Carl
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:been saying the same thing for years

f*** the NAB

Yep i will disagree because whether it is the NAB cup or just practice games they need to play probably at least 3 to get ready for the real games. I certainly dont want the first 2 or 3 rounds of the proper season to be the standard of the NAB cup, I want it to be good footy like it is now. So is that an OK reason to disagree because I doubt they will ever do things you suggest.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At least the nab crap is no longer a knockout format.

Round robin at least resembles a practice match series.

Having a nab cup Grand final though is a wank and waste of time.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Having a nab cup Grand final though is a wank and waste of time.
I'm sure we all felt differently in 1996 :wink:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I love the NAB cup being an interstater it's often the only chance we get to see the younger blokes play .. It's also good to get the juices flowing for the real deal ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Having a nab cup Grand final though is a wank and waste of time.
It was the Ansett Cup.

But like Ansett, it's now defunct!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
It was the Ansett Cup.

But like Ansett, it's now defunct!
So it's not the concept you think is a wank and waste of time, it's the naming sponsor :shock: :?

goddardisgod
Club Player

Think 2 or 3 practice games are necessary for each club, probably with expanded benches to try out new players, but I think that this "Cup" concept has sort of run its course. With 3 practice games, you could add two extra rounds and an extra bye into the regular season, and I reckon that'ld be worth it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ticket prices etc
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

adult $17

under 15 free tickets on application.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mcadam05
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Ticket prices etc
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

adult $17

under 15 free tickets on application.
Ahhhhhhhhh remember the days when Club Members got in for free :roll:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

order of Matches announced too
February 24, Etihad Stadium from
6.40pm: St Kilda v Sydney
Swans, Geelong v Sydney
Swans and St Kilda v Geelong

so we get the break this year... the keep warm time- carpark last year I think it was. and greater ability to change team.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see a couple of intra club matches, with some Sandy boys thrown in to make up the numbers, then a couple of practise games against the other clubs, then the season of 25 matches commences, with two groups of nine teams, one Northern /Eastern the other Western/Southern. Each team plays the teams in its group twice, and the other teams once. Hence 25 games. A practical format, therefore it has no hope of getting AFL approval.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I would like to see a couple of intra club matches, with some Sandy boys thrown in to make up the numbers, then a couple of practise games against the other clubs, then the season of 25 matches commences, with two groups of nine teams, one Northern /Eastern the other Western/Southern. Each team plays the teams in its group twice, and the other teams once. Hence 25 games. A practical format, therefore it has no hope of getting AFL approval.
And how do they play these extra games. We dont have the grounds because of cricket. 22 games is fine. Best sides make the finals and the best side wins it most times.

Superstar
Club Player

goddardisgod wrote:Think 2 or 3 practice games are necessary for each club, probably with expanded benches to try out new players, but I think that this "Cup" concept has sort of run its course. With 3 practice games, you could add two extra rounds and an extra bye into the regular season, and I reckon that'ld be worth it.
Tend to agree with this, the AFL won't get rid of the NAB cup though cause the broadcasters like it, and are willing to pay for it.

We all complain about it, but we all still watch it on TV.

Superstar
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I would like to see a couple of intra club matches, with some Sandy boys thrown in to make up the numbers, then a couple of practise games against the other clubs, then the season of 25 matches commences, with two groups of nine teams, one Northern /Eastern the other Western/Southern. Each team plays the teams in its group twice, and the other teams once. Hence 25 games. A practical format, therefore it has no hope of getting AFL approval.
And how do they play these extra games. We dont have the grounds because of cricket. 22 games is fine. Best sides make the finals and the best side wins it most times.
Agree with Plugger, 25% of the teams a shot by about round 15, there are already too many shocking games, a longer season would make it worse.

I would prefer to shorten the season if anything everybody plays each other once, and alternate year to year home and away. Problem with it is money, players/coaches/admin wouldn't want to be paid less, TV channels and members would want to pay the same for less games. So we're stuck with 22.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's an opportunity to play the kids without risking the 4 points.... even Tommy Walsh was given a go.
If the kids perform well they may get selected in the first game.

I can see the point of it.

A kid would probably hold back from applying a forceful tackle on a senior team mate in an intraclub .. but would let loose in the NAB competition.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 23 Jan 2012 2:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'll be there for the 1st nab cup game. The ONLY thing that is still in dispute is "Who's SHOUT". If I remember correctly, that honour goes to P76Queen !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!