Riewoldt vs Loewe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who would you rather have at CHF?

Roo
65%
Buckets
35%

Total votes: 186

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Riewoldt vs Loewe

Last night I was thinking, "who is/was a better CHF for us: Riewoldt or Loewe?" If you had to have one in your team, which would you take?

At first I thought, "Riewoldt, for sure," but then I got thinking, and realized that for me, it's actually a line ball, and here's why:

BOTH have been captains of the club, and even though Riewoldt has been captain for longer and Loewe was a co-captain instead of a stand-alone captain, I think in this category (Leadership) you've got to say it's a draw, as both were/are good enough to be captain.

BOTH are/were poor/average kicks for goal at best. Clearly this is the biggest weakness of both of them, and they both share this weakness - not very good kicks for goal. So in the Kicking category, again, it's a draw for mine.

So, so far, we're still even, and now we come to the differences between them.

-Marking ability: Whilst Riewoldt is a very strong mark and racks up good numbers in this area, I think it's fair to say that Loewe was definitely a stronger mark than Roo. They didn't call him "Buckets" for nothing. While statistically they may have similar numbers, I think you'll find that the majority of Roo's marks are taken after a long lead and are uncontested, whereas Loewe's marks were mostly contested/taken in pack situations. So in the "Marking" catogory, Loewe gets the nod for mine.

-Athleticism: This is were Riewoldt takes the chockies. He's a better athlete than Loewe was. Can run faster and further, can jump higher. So Riewoldt gets the nod here.

And that leaves us all square!

What do you think?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Roo 5 time winner of the Trevor Barker medal
Buckets while great ( and one of ifnot my fav all time players) only was best player once ..

Buckets was all Australian twice ..Roo has been All Australian 4times and named captain in 09 of the all Australian team

I'm sorry Buckets was great but come the end of Rooeys carreer he will be regarded as the greatest player in our history on par with Plugger Doc And Harvey ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Buckets.

Saints43
Club Player

Re: Riewoldt vs Loewe

hungry for a premiership wrote:And that leaves us all square!
I don't reckon that would be far wrong. Both terrific players. Absolutely terrific attitudes when it comes to workrate.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Interesting debate!

Both great players in different eras. Different styles of footy played in each.

Buckets worked so well with Plugger, didn't he? Would Roo have had the same impact, not being the main target? Probably in another postion (CHB, I firmly believe he would have dominated)

The posters above didn't mention that they both had average type games in the big ones - Roo in 09/10(though through no lack of effort) and Buckets in, I guess 97, and most sadly, in the 91 EF. If he had of fired, we would have beaten the Cats. His poor game enabled the Cats to move Stoneham onto the rampaging Plugger and quell him in the final qtr.

Very tough call, but I'll go with Roo. He's our third best ever player that I've seen, behind Plugger and Harves.

City West

Both great players IMHO, BUT both undo a lot of their good work by missing easy shots for goal. And to make matters worse, a lot of the times it becomes an 11 point turn around at the other end.

If I had to chose the better player it would be Loewe because in the last 3rd of his career he improved his kicking for goal quite a bit. With the help of Peter Hudson he became quite reliable in front of goal. I have not seen any improvement in Riewoldt's kicking thus far and time is running out for him with 30 years of age fast approaching.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Both with deficiencies by foot- Loewe a better and more reliable mark who improved his game later in his career, Roo more mobile and excellent defensively, unfortunately both couldn't produce the goods in the biggest game of all. I give it to Loewe slightly, though Baldock, even as a smaller player at CHF would have run rings around both in all key areas with the exception of power marking, and didn't go missing in finals.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Buckets was probably of more value to the team, because he was a handy ruckman as well. Although to be fair, Roo's career is not over yet. Who knows what is yet to come.

Bono
Club Player

Loewe was probably more reliable with his marking, and as alreay mentioned went OK. In the ruck as well. Interesting to compare their stats:

Avge disposals: Loewe 15 v Roo 16
Marks: 8 v 9
Goals: 2 v 2
Hitouts: 5 v 1
Tackles: 1 v 1

Loewe obviously has played 102 more than Roo at the moment.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It's a great comparison and topic.

Roo will obviously win the vote on here,as half of the posters wouldn't have remembered Stewie

They have both had very similar careers,maligned stars. Loewe more unfairly I think,and I think go's down as one of the more underated players of our time,where as Roo is slightly overated (uh oh shoot me down)

Both had/have great work rates,the hardest working forwards of there era's. Loewe willed himself to contest after contest,Rewoildt took this to a new level. There should be no comparisons of them in the air....there is no comparison. Loewe was the greatest contested and pack mark of all time,anyone who suggests otherwise are kidding themselves,he is light years in front of Rewoildt here

Kicking- Rewoildt was a good kick in his early days,Loewe was putrid at best. However Loewe improved over time and became a pretty reasonable set shot for goal and at present would be more reliable than Roo. However Roo's is mostly in his head, he is a golfer with the yips. If he can ever get over his demons he will be a better set shot at goal,the clock is ticking though

Match winning- Loewe. Was a game breaker. Anyone who took pack mark after pack mark like him could tear apart any defence,and he did so often. Loewe could turn out some shockers every now and then though. Roo is probably more consistant,but he doesn't utterly tear apart games like Loewe used too

My vote,if you didn't figure it out already,Stewie. I think he is the most underated player of my lifetime. He was unstoppable in the air,literally.
Loewe and Lockett...how couldn't someone build a premiership side around this? Only us...

Bring back the Lockett era
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It'll be a much better comparison at the end of Roo's career as I think Nick's twilight will be the clinching factor.

I think it's fair to say that the first half of Nick's career clearly eclipses that of Loewe's but in their prime I think I might actually give the biscuits to Loewe.
Around the 96-99 period he just seemed to tear so many games apart by himself... you knew that if Loewe had a good game we won. At the same age, to this point, Nick looks a lot more of a spent force. Nick's form over the next two seasons will decide this. Loewe generally played a bit more up the ground and IMO Nick may have to as well

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt's a better player; smarter and of more value to the team.

That's not to denegrate Loewe, who turned himself into a very good player ... almost a champion.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Kicking / goal kicking - Both average kicking at goal although Riewoldt's field kicking gets him over the line. Stewie was a horrible set shot. He looked so awkward and didn't mind the odd helicopter.

Marking - Whilst Riewoldt finds space to find a lot of marks Stewie has more ability in a pack situation and has the better hands. Stewie for mine although he's one of the best marks the game has ever seen so no disrespect to Roo.

Leadership - I disagree that Riewoldt doesn't have the same game breaking ability that Stewie has, it's quite the opposite. Roo dragged us into 2 grand finals especially in 2009. He's a true leader of men and not only on the footy park, he also lifts others to new heights at training.

Awards - Riewoldt has dominated Club awards and AA awards over his tenure while Stewie has had a couple of big seasons. You can't go past Riewoldt here.

Bottom line, the only area Stewie has the nod is his marking ability. While Stewie will always been regarded as one of our greatest players Roo will be regarded close to our best ever.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

mods do the job and boot the giant troll lyon avatar/poster
isnt it obvious???

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:mods do the job and boot the giant troll lyon avatar/poster
isnt it obvious???
+ 1

I think it's time to give him the old IP banning, if SS has the ability to do so.

City West

isnt it obvious???
Are you referring to me? On what basis?

Saints94
SS Life Member

City West wrote:
isnt it obvious???
Are you referring to me? On what basis?
Maybe because of your avatar you tool :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets was a very good player, Rooy is a champion. Rooy has to get my nod and by a bit of distance. Buckets was a much better mark but if the ball isnt marked then Rooy has him by the length of the straight. Both seemed to kick about the same for goal but Rooy again gets him on around the ground kicking and Rooy is a smarter footballer.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
isnt it obvious???
+ 1

I think it's time to give him the old IP banning, if SS has the ability to do so.
Many years ago, a mentall ill poster over at bigfooty went by the name of DDC City West.

The troll started a thread on the evening of the Saints v Melbourne final on 2006 stating that Dal Santo and two other big name Saints were out of the team.

Absolute waste of space troll. Suffice to say it was Nexus.

Now we know Nexus is mentally ill and the trick is to ignore him until he is once more banned.

poor guy really needs help :( :(

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IMHO there is daylight between Roo and Buckets when comparing their kicking.
Buckets was a terrible kick (both at goal and around the ground) who became more accurate in the latter part of his career becasue of coaching.

Roo is capable of pinpointing kicks 50+ meters with eaither foot - Buckets struggled to make the distance from 40 meters out.

Buckets was the greatest pack martk I ever saw.
BUT the first half of his career he played CHF with Plugger in the team at FF - most of the opposition planning went into stopping Plugger.
Roo has 2 and sometimes 3 players either playing on him or rotating on him - he cops all teh attention from teh opposition,
Just imagine how good he would be if Kosi started to play FF like his potential suggested?

I agree with plugger66 on this one.
Buckets is a 'legend' of St Kilda, but Roo is a champion of the AFL.
(and the reason Buckets didn;t get more AA selections is becasue of a bloke named Carey who played in the same era).

In my all-time best team of Saints that I've seen play, Roo would be CHF, Buckets in the FP (alongside Plugger).
Doc Baldock (the best player I have seen) would be on one HFF, with George Young on the other.
Milne would be in the other forward pocket.

SMS
Club Player

Reiwoldt easily!!

Reiwoldt will be a premiership captain too after 2012.

Loewe at the end of his career was a joke! fell over the ball like their was benny hill music playing around the stadium!!

This wont happen to rooey! Reiwoldt will prove in 2012 why he is the best!

seriously anyone got loewe v brisbane in brisbane on a sunday 2002 or 2003?? funniest game of football ever! he tripped over the ball got up tripped again then swiped at the ball missed it - he did this about fourteen times. hilarious. like a horse that needed to be put down due to brain damage!

PS I still love ya loewe!!

City West

delete.
Last edited by City West on Thu 12 Jan 2012 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

City West

joffaboy wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
isnt it obvious???
+ 1

Many years ago, a mentall ill poster over at bigfooty went by the name of DDC City West.

The troll started a thread on the evening of the Saints v Melbourne final on 2006 stating that Dal Santo and two other big name Saints were out of the team.

Now we know Nexus is mentally ill and the trick is to ignore him until he is once more banned.

Are you insane?????? I work on the West Side of the CBD hence my name. Go and grind your axe on someone else you stupid man!!!!! I suspect that you are probably nexus in disguise. :idea:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

City West wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
isnt it obvious???
+ 1

Are you insane?????? I work on the West Side of the CBD hence my name. Go and grind your axe on someone else you stupid man!!!!! I suspect that you are probably nexus in disguise. :idea:
Whoever you are your avatar is still too bloody big!!!

older saint
SS Life Member

based on style of football alone 2 years ago Roo by a mile, now wth presses zones and taking of space pack markers are worth their weight in Gold. Loewe was the best pack mark i have seen ( Brereton also says this) and thereofre you cuold make an argument Loewe , with his ability to ruck also with the sub rule, may wel be more valuable than Roo ( unless he moves to CHB).

Roo a better football
Loewe better suited to the style of footy 2011 produced