Beau Wilkes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Beau Wilkes

Where does everyone see Beau Wilkes heading this season. I know its very hard to tell without any footy being played yet but do we think he is going to play regular footy? Does he slot into the position left open by Zac?

I ask because he has the potential to be a supercoach bargain at $106,600
The question is, will he play and will he regularly get a game?

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Re: Beau Wilkes

I would have thought Full Back but other Sainters over on Bigfooty believe he was training with the forward group in recent times. It will be very crowded up forward with ROO, KOSI, Stanley and Wilkes playing.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Unless you have Stanley down back (or not at all, which I hope isn't the case)?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Saint_Ash wrote:Where does everyone see Beau Wilkes heading this season. I know its very hard to tell without any footy being played yet but do we think he is going to play regular footy? Does he slot into the position left open by Zac?

I ask because he has the potential to be a supercoach bargain at $106,600
The question is, will he play and will he regularly get a game?

Most people automatically assume Wilkes is a replacement for Zac.
I beg to differ. He should be seen as a direct replacement for Tommy Walsh
Same age/size/position/salary as Walsh. Also coming straight off a good season forward in the 2nd tier comp. So people should view him the same as Tommy Walsh.

For me this means the following:

Full Forward will be his preferred position. Will be moved back if Simpkin is getting toweled up.
Wont be a regular in side but will play a few games.
Might kick 20-30 for season if we are lucky and another 30 odd at Sandy.
Once kosi hangs them up - could end up a permanent FF in the seniors.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think he is depth?

Maybe I'm wrong, but he would know that I think...nothing wrong with that either. We needed a backup tall.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

He's been at the level before and couldnt cut it... Sure he had a decent season at a seconds level, but he'd want to have come a long way to be a certain and constant stater for us... either that, or we've fallen away badly...

I dont see him as anything more than insurance in the case that Stanley, Simpkin, Ferg and or a few other potential talls fall away badly and we need another key position hole filled..

I'm hoping atleast 2 of the 3 guys mentioned above come on this year, and Blake will still be there abouts, and ahead of Wilkes...

So there isn't much room for him... And as a forward, there'd be no way we'd go into a match with forwards of Kosi, Roo, Stanley and Wilkes... It'd be 2 of them there at most at any given time... Stanley and Kosi rotating as second ruck, but no room for all 4 in the side plus BigMac...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

As I said in another post, he was with the forward group at training so I assume he is considered a forward on WAFL form. Simpkin is about the only ready made back we have and must have been kept as a key back if one went down- he must offer a bit of value also. I would hope that Wilkes could play as a Lee brown style adaptable tall when needed. He is likely to get a chance because at his age they will be assuming he has a body that is ready to go.

Saad would be my pick to take a regular spot in the side and offer little outlay in supercoach.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:As I said in another post, he was with the forward group at training so I assume he is considered a forward on WAFL form. Simpkin is about the only ready made back we have and must have been kept as a key back if one went down- he must offer a bit of value also. I would hope that Wilkes could play as a Lee brown style adaptable tall when needed. He is likely to get a chance because at his age they will be assuming he has a body that is ready to go.

Saad would be my pick to take a regular spot in the side and offer little outlay in supercoach.
Wilkes is going on 26 - So people should keep the expectations down. he wont be a star. But I think he will be a servicable big body for the next 3 years.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:He's been at the level before and couldnt cut it... Sure he had a decent season at a seconds level, but he'd want to have come a long way to be a certain and constant stater for us... either that, or we've fallen away badly...

I dont see him as anything more than insurance in the case that Stanley, Simpkin, Ferg and or a few other potential talls fall away badly and we need another key position hole filled..

I'm hoping atleast 2 of the 3 guys mentioned above come on this year, and Blake will still be there abouts, and ahead of Wilkes...

So there isn't much room for him... And as a forward, there'd be no way we'd go into a match with forwards of Kosi, Roo, Stanley and Wilkes... It'd be 2 of them there at most at any given time... Stanley and Kosi rotating as second ruck, but no room for all 4 in the side plus BigMac...
Bit harsh on the bloke .. He struggled to get going at west coast cause he was behind Lynch he also was played as a defender most of the games he got a west coast ... As far as I see it Wilkes is an upgrade on Gamble .. Much like Peake he will get his chance and if he performs well enough with those chances he will keep his spot in the team ... Not expecting a Colman or brownlow from him but he will be a handy player for us ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Sobraz wrote:He's been at the level before and couldnt cut it... Sure he had a decent season at a seconds level, but he'd want to have come a long way to be a certain and constant stater for us... either that, or we've fallen away badly...

Bit harsh on the bloke .. He struggled to get going at west coast cause he was behind Lynch he also was played as a defender most of the games he got a west coast ... As far as I see it Wilkes is an upgrade on Gamble .. Much like Peake he will get his chance and if he performs well enough with those chances he will keep his spot in the team ... Not expecting a Colman or brownlow from him but he will be a handy player for us ...
Nicely put St Trav.

I'm sure not many rated Heatley that highly when he first arrived here in similar circumstances.

And Pods was an old bloke playing in the 2nd tier comp when the Cats took a punt on him.

An output similar to either of those blokes would come in more than handy :)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree with St Trav. 25yo. 194cm. 100kgs. 2nd heaviest guy on our list (after Ben).
Plenty of guys do well on their 2nd chance.

If we get 3-4 years (50 odd games) of service Ill be rapt!

Def an upgrade an Gamble - and to me a direct replacement for Tommy Walsh.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Will be just like Gamble. On the outer most of the year.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Will be just like Gamble. On the outer most of the year.
I reckon beau will give it more of a crack then Gamble did ... beau will work his butt off to make the first 22 Gamble didn't do enough in my opinion

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
PJ
SS Life Member

With Watters suggesting a change in forward personel and the "don't kick it to Roo" policy you'd imagine Beau will at least get a crack at some stage. Good luck to him, hope he proves the doomsayers wrong.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:He's been at the level before and couldnt cut it... ...
I thought it was more that he did ok, but that Glass was better.....

We have no Glass.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Will be just like Gamble. On the outer most of the year.
I reckon beau will give it more of a crack then Gamble did ... beau will work his butt off to make the first 22 Gamble didn't do enough in my opinion

How do you know he didn't do enough?

His training
His recovery

How do you know he didn't do enough? Because he was an average player the 2 hrs you got to see him?

A lot of average players works hard. Sometimes harder. But how the hell are we supposed to know.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

^ If I can recall, something to do with shoelaces :)

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

To answer the original post none of us can be sure. NAB cup will give a good indication... IMO there are probably better scorers anyway.

As for his spot, would be vying with Head for back spot and Rhys for fwd spot - depending on Watters plans for him, ability to play at either end does his chances no harm!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:^ If I can recall, something to do with shoelaces :)

His arms? You speak in such riddles I usually have no idea what you are insinuating...

He looks to lack gym... But some ppl just don't grow. Input doesn't equal output.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:^ If I can recall, something to do with shoelaces :)

His arms? You speak in such riddles I usually have no idea what you are insinuating...

He looks to lack gym... But some ppl just don't grow. Input doesn't equal output.
Nah, with Gamble....Bernard Shakey once made reference to his football ability based on how he looked after his footy boots (which he didn't do very well)

Didn't you Bernie?

rexy
SS Life Member

Interesting that so many think he will be competing with Stanley for a fwd spot, what has Stanley done to make us think he is going to be better than last year? Would have thought on last years form Sipposs would be in front of Stanley for a Fwd spot!

Maybe this year?
PJ
SS Life Member

rexy wrote:Interesting that so many think he will be competing with Stanley for a fwd spot, what has Stanley done to make us think he is going to be better than last year? Would have thought on last years form Sipposs would be in front of Stanley for a Fwd spot!
It's not so much what Stanley has done as Watters reference to him in his media work.

Wilkes is a big body and we have few of them - if he can have an impact great.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gamble was a poor selection in that he was picked as a small defensive goal sneak. He lacked a bit of pace and x factor. Was servicable just not what we needed to go forward.

Saad and Milera are the type we could have used last year, both pacy and a little bit of the x factor about them.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

PJ wrote:
rexy wrote:Interesting that so many think he will be competing with Stanley for a fwd spot, what has Stanley done to make us think he is going to be better than last year? Would have thought on last years form Sipposs would be in front of Stanley for a Fwd spot!
It's not so much what Stanley has done as Watters reference to him in his media work.

Wilkes is a big body and we have few of them - if he can have an impact great.
Agree, its based on Watters' comment. Plus, Siposs and stanley are very different players.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
shmic_s
Club Player

I think Sipposs has got first shot at half forward flank in front of Markworth. Clearly a position we have been lacking in.
Wilkes and Stanley are more tall forwards. Think they will be competing with Kosi, unless more of a roving type role is created for Kosi, similar to how Leigh Brown played.