Odds offered by Cats supporter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

VERDUN
Club Player

Odds offered by Cats supporter

I have just been away with a group of friends for the weekend which included a passionate Cats supporter. He has written the Saints off and challenged me to take 20-1 on them for to win the flag (he wanted me to put 200 down).
:?
It fired me up that he has totally written us off - i reckon we will end up anywhere between 1 and 8.

The arrogance of other supporters annoys me; s'pose the only way this will change is if we get that elusive flag!

sainterjo
Club Player

Re: Odds offered by Cats supporter

I hope opposition teams underestimate us too.

We're so dismissed by all and sundry that it's like a cloak of invisibility. A very useful garment if you make the most of it!

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
philtee
Club Player

Who exactly is at 20 to 1 to win the Flag ? The Cats ? They'd be about 5 to 1. Sportingbet has them at $4.50.
The Saints ? It's a bit of a raffle. New coach, staff, playing style, who knows. Again at Sportingbet, we're at $17.00.
Your Cats friend is baiting you, or is an idiot, or both.
Perhaps they've made the common mistake of judging the season before a shot has been fired. He or she is tiresome,
and a prematuire prognosticator.
Wait til the end of the NAB Cup then we'll know a bit more. There's nothing a punter likes more than exposed form.

VERDUN
Club Player

philtee wrote:Who exactly is at 20 to 1 to win the Flag ? The Cats ? They'd be about 5 to 1. Sportingbet has them at $4.50.
The Saints ? It's a bit of a raffle. New coach, staff, playing style, who knows. Again at Sportingbet, we're at $17.00.
Your Cats friend is baiting you, or is an idiot, or both.
Perhaps they've made the common mistake of judging the season before a shot has been fired. He or she is tiresome,
and a prematuire prognosticator.
Wait til the end of the NAB Cup then we'll know a bit more. There's nothing a punter likes more than exposed form.
Yep my Cat mate is baiting me and you are right in that how the new coach and playing style plays out is unknown.....it is that time of year when this debate kicks off. He was offering me the odds for the Saints to win the flag; reckon i will take the 10's he offered on a top four finish

I reckon our core 6-8 is actuallty stronger than nearly all teams so where we go from here is intrigueing with all the variables / unknowns.

The Cats are one team i always find hard to criticise as I admire how they have drafted, the fact they are a community team and their playing style - but damn i would love to be able to shut up my Cats mate by at least finishing top 4.

I think Siposs, Ledger, Armitage, Ross etc can push the Saints upwards :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets face it one flag in 114 years suggests any odds are to low. Also the fact that you must eventually go down before coming up again makes any odds pretty poor odds. Top 8 is where we should be aiming. Top 4 is an absolute bonus and you cannot win it outside the top 4.

VERDUN
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Lets face it one flag in 114 years suggests any odds are to low. Also the fact that you must eventually go down before coming up again makes any odds pretty poor odds. Top 8 is where we should be aiming. Top 4 is an absolute bonus and you cannot win it outside the top 4.
Yep - as always insightful plugger ...but do you think we will make top 4

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I have heard these comments all summer from people at work, my mates, heaps of people. I now just don't bite back and just agree with it. Yep we will probably slide, miss the 8 or whatever is what I say, then they have nothing! I don't honestly think that but I can't be bothered getting all rialled up about it now! I am quietly confident that we will be a massive suprise though. We have a great draw, fit Lenny, a re-invigorated playing group. I will just enjoy the ride this season and if the ultimate happens well I will stick it up em all then once and for all!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Geelong, it's a tough place to live at the moment. They are all very cocky and it's hard work trying to argue with them. All the people I work with are cats fans. They had it tough for a long time just like us. But unlike us they have been spoilt over the past 5 years and have tasted success.
The cats fans I know truely dislike our great club. I'm not sure why, but they seem to hate us more than any other side. They take pleasure in our pain. If they win again this year it will be time to move, if it's not already. I suppose it could be worse. I could be surrounded by Collingwood supporters :D

VERDUN wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lets face it one flag in 114 years suggests any odds are to low. Also the fact that you must eventually go down before coming up again makes any odds pretty poor odds. Top 8 is where we should be aiming. Top 4 is an absolute bonus and you cannot win it outside the top 4.
Yep - as always insightful plugger ...but do you think we will make top 4

No because to go up you need to be better than sides there at the momet. IMO the only doubtful one is WCE but I still think they have us covered especially with the 12 games a home.

VERDUN
Club Player

8856brother wrote:Geelong, it's a tough place to live at the moment. They are all very cocky and it's hard work trying to argue with them. All the people I work with are cats fans. They had it tough for a long time just like us. But unlike us they have been spoilt over the past 5 years and have tasted success.
The cats fans I know truely dislike our great club. I'm not sure why, but they seem to hate us more than any other side. They take pleasure in our pain. If they win again this year it will be time to move, if it's not already. I suppose it could be worse. I could be surrounded by Collingwood supporters :D
This sums it up to me - they have been in a very similar position to the Saints but for some reason they hate us but even worse do not respect us and as a Saint supporter that is want i want

Still believe we can and will improve this year

VERDUN
Club Player

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:I have heard these comments all summer from people at work, my mates, heaps of people. I now just don't bite back and just agree with it. Yep we will probably slide, miss the 8 or whatever is what I say, then they have nothing! I don't honestly think that but I can't be bothered getting all rialled up about it now! I am quietly confident that we will be a massive suprise though. We have a great draw, fit Lenny, a re-invigorated playing group. I will just enjoy the ride this season and if the ultimate happens well I will stick it up em all then once and for all!
love this post

older saint
SS Life Member

Probably fair odds. Leave it a bit and i am sure he will up them.

Top 4 10-1 may be better although all things being equal you would think Haw, Coll, Geel , Carl probably above us. Geel will miss Ottens and LIng and who knows if Nafancan coach. Haw should be premiership favourites, although as we all know teams are one AC away from disaster .

Unfortunately winners are grinners and although Geelong may be arogant it is better than the alternative from 2011.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Agreed.

50 to 1 seems reasonable odds for the flag

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

20/1 looks a bit on the lean side.
Turn it round and see if he will give you same odds just to finish ahead of Geelong.
After all thry only win in odd numbered years!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

If the hillbilly is soooo smug, surely he can do better than 20-1 the flag? That's a very small premium over the odds you can get from the bookies.

I reckon get him to offer you better odds. Then you can show him your generousity (and confidence) by laying off that bet by offering him say 7-1 on the handbaggers winning the flag. :idea:

PS: I reckon we can make top 4.
Girlong are ageing and I reckon last season was the last hurrah. Overdue to slip.
Colonwood are being coached by the ego. He was appointed not for any demonstrated coaching ability (quite the opposite, I reckon), but because it's his right - and because he's Eddie's love-child.
I reckon Carltank's crop from the tanking have pretty much peaked, and at a level that isn't quite good enough. Then factor in the reliance on Judd (3 votes) which won't be fully replaced by Murphy's improvement, and I see them as soon having to head back to the drawing board/tanking.
Dawks - are they really that good???. Since they pinched that flag (and good on 'em for that) what have the skid marks actually done? Over promised and under delivered. Sure they had injuries, but in that time I reckon we've had worse.
E-Girls. As Plugger said, their home ground advantage is a serious issue. But I reckon they caught the competition by surprise last year. Yes, some young'uns came on, but most of the improvement came from improved fitness from their old blokes - Cox, Glass & Kerr. These blokes remain suspect re injury and are close to the end of their careers anyway. I doubt they'll be as effective this season.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He can afford to be smug. How many premierships have the Saints won in the last 40 years?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

What does our performance in 1897 have to do with 2012?

And why do you have to "go down before coming up"? If you are better than all the other teams in a given year you should win the flag.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

so did you take 20-1? sounds like you didnt?
probably fair odds.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
What does our performance in 1897 have to do with 2012?

And why do you have to "go down before coming up"? If you are better than all the other teams in a given year you should win the flag.

Well IMO history has plenty to do with it and IMO I think you do have to go down to come up again. Obviously you think otherwise.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

I'l give you odds of 1000-1 if the $200 is in my account come this Friday.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
VERDUN
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:I'l give you odds of 1000-1 if the $200 is in my account come this Friday.
ok give me your bank details :twisted:

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Well IMO history has plenty to do with it
You would have lost a lot backing us to miss the finals in the last eight years.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

VERDUN wrote:
saintdooley wrote:I'l give you odds of 1000-1 if the $200 is in my account come this Friday.
ok give me your bank details :twisted:
I'd also be interested in a piece of that action St Dools. Whilest I'm at it, what odds are you offering for us to make top 8, top 4? :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well IMO history has plenty to do with it
You would have lost a lot backing us to miss the finals in the last eight years.

Sorry but it was a combination of the 2 things I mentioned and isnt this about us winning the flag. i would have thought I wouldnt have lost a cent in the last 45 years on that bet.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Another thing on this is I just checked the odds on the tab website and we are 4th favourite to finish top 4, minor premier and to be the top Victorian team for the year.
We are also 5th favourire for the flag and to make the Grand final. The people who set these odds know that we have a soft draw. Land a top 4 spot and get your better players injury free and playing well at the right time...Who know's what can happen!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss