Backline

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Backline

I am thinking Gilbo will become a key defensive tall this year and take on the big name fwds.
Simpkin will take on the 2nd best fwd and Dempster his usual stopper role. Then gwilty/cripps/fisher/gram to be the defensive rebounders.
Wilkes and Blakey will play similar utility roles filling gaps when neded.

We still have a bit of a problem when a team throws a ruckman down fwd. Zac was 195cm. Any ideas?

defacto
Club Player

Re: Backline

i dont know why they havent thrown stanley down back so he can see how the fwds do it

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Kosi maybe switched to CHB, has done well in the few times I've seen him there.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Kosi maybe switched to CHB, has done well in the few times I've seen him there.

"A long long time ago, 
I can still remember how ......"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i dont know why they havent thrown stanley down back so he can see how the fwds do it

He played back in a couple of games last year. Also he may have played back in practice games this year. We only saw one and they had 3.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:We still have a bit of a problem when a team throws a ruckman down fwd. Zac was 195cm. Any ideas?
If it came down to cms, there's be a lot more ruck types successfully playing forward. Most key backs are a similar height to Simpkin or Wilkes. Rolling defenders and numbers pushing back usually deal with the slow, immobile types.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
jays
Club Player

kosi might be a bit slow for backline

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Dont think Kosi is quick enough for the Backline anymore.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Kosi maybe switched to CHB, has done well in the few times I've seen him there.
in 2003? Are you just having a laff? every year we get the madatory "kosi for chb" thread. its not happenening ever.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:We still have a bit of a problem when a team throws a ruckman down fwd. Zac was 195cm. Any ideas?
If it came down to cms, there's be a lot more ruck types successfully playing forward. Most key backs are a similar height to Simpkin or Wilkes. Rolling defenders and numbers pushing back usually deal with the slow, immobile types.
So who goes on Buddy, Cloke, Tomahawk, J Brown etc?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

That is a bit of a scary question! I'm guessing either Wilkes or Simpkin get first crack and if they get an ass-whoopin' you go to plan B, which is prolly Fisher.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am thinking Gilbo will become a key defensive tall this year and take on the big name fwds.
Simpkin will take on the 2nd best fwd and Dempster his usual stopper role. Then gwilty/cripps/fisher/gram to be the defensive rebounders.

We still have a bit of a problem when a team throws a ruckman down fwd. Zac was 195cm. Any ideas?

Dawson was always hopeless one on one. I don't see the problem

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I am thinking Gilbo will become a key defensive tall this year and take on the big name fwds.

Dawson was always hopeless one on one. I don't see the problem
hope u are right....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am thinking my preferred backline is something like:

Gwilt Gilbert Simpkin
Cripps Fisher Dempster

shmic_s
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am thinking my preferred backline is something like:

Gwilt Gilbert Simpkin
Cripps Fisher Dempster
Yeah i agree with you Con. I like that.

Well balanced with pace, height and experience. Ability to be attacking and also shut down most player types.

Have Blake or Wilkes replace Gwilt untill he is right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt Gilbert Simpkin
Cripps Fisher Dempster

We wouldnt seriously want Gilbert to be full back. he is our best running defender so why put him in a position where he really cant run off. Even Geelong dont do that to Scarlett. It will have to be Wilkes or Simpkin or maybe even Blake.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Gwilt Gilbert Simpkin
Cripps Fisher Dempster

We wouldnt seriously want Gilbert to be full back. he is our best running defender so why put him in a position where he really cant run off. Even Geelong dont do that to Scarlett. It will have to be Wilkes or Simpkin or maybe even Blake.
well positions depend on match-ups i guess.
you would hope gilbo only has to really go defensive in an emergency and dempster and simpkin can take the real defensive roles agreed.
wilkes or blake would be a worry against a gun fwd.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:wilkes or blake would be a worry against a gun fwd.
It won't just be Blake or Simpkin or Wilkes. It will be all the other defenders rolling off their men as well. Fisher, Gilbert and Goddard are some of the best in the league at doing just that. I'm still much more worried about quality smalls than I am talls.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
barrel-it
Club Player

we do lack defenders who can go tall, although i do remember watching r.clarke at subi play on a resting seaby in the pocket and his timing to spoil was 2nd to none..he exposed seaby on numrous occaisions through run (albeit a resting ruckman but still...) he is an option if selected, wont hold my breath. Fisher can go tall but not in the last line, looks to lose his composure and go the jumper grab when under pressure 20m out. BJ would be wasted sitting on a tall and I would rather see him push fwd and 'create'

on a side note, despite clarke not playing last friday night. the game style will suit his shotgun style of play, very collingwoodesk, harry O breaks 2 lines and kicks long to an attacking contest. he cops his crap but I see him slipping in somewhere in the backs especially if the game style is free and long and not a game of chess.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

barrel-it wrote:we do lack defenders who can go tall, although i do remember watching r.clarke at subi play on a resting seaby in the pocket and his timing to spoil was 2nd to none..he exposed seaby on numrous occaisions through run (albeit a resting ruckman but still...) he is an option if selected, wont hold my breath. Fisher can go tall but not in the last line, looks to lose his composure and go the jumper grab when under pressure 20m out. BJ would be wasted sitting on a tall and I would rather see him push fwd and 'create'

on a side note, despite clarke not playing last friday night. the game style will suit his shotgun style of play, very collingwoodesk, harry O breaks 2 lines and kicks long to an attacking contest. he cops his crap but I see him slipping in somewhere in the backs especially if the game style is free and long and not a game of chess.
I agree with the Raph comment, a lot of times last season he got caught from behind because when he broke from the back half he looked up to see no one in front of him, so he hesitated and got run down. This year if we dont flood back so deep and have quicker runners to dish out to he could be a real asset. (Now waiting for the mandatory Raph is crap posts)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't that fussed about the performance of the backline to be honest, it will take them awhile to adjust as there has been so many changes. Just from last year, Dawson, Baker, Gwilt, Raph....Blake didn't play the first game. Nothing about it looked familiar, NAB cup is the perfect time to settle it down again.

saintboy
Club Player

Don't know about Gilbert at FB. Hopefully Raph will be up to the challenge this season (especially with Gwilt still out for a while yet). I know he was'nt the greatest player but losing Dawson hurts us alot. But this talk about throwing Simpkin and Cripps straight in come Round 1 sounds a little bit premature/desperate to me considering they have only played a handful of games combined!

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
barrel-it
Club Player

saintboy wrote:Don't know about Gilbert at FB. Hopefully Raph will be up to the challenge this season (especially with Gwilt still out for a while yet). I know he was'nt the greatest player but losing Dawson hurts us alot. But this talk about throwing Simpkin and Cripps straight in come Round 1 sounds a little bit premature/desperate to me considering they have only played a handful of games combined!
agree to only drop one of Simpkin or Cripps into the mix straight up. FB is going to be our 'flavour' of the week all year (especially against buddy and the like).. One thing for sure is that if we play a loose man across half back, they will need to be willing to crash the pack running backward and hitting it head on....(who has the balls???????????????????)

or we worry about the other end of the field and our fwds kicking straight and kicking more golas than the opposition....
I do seem to think the fwds got off scot free last year and the backs ended up copping the abuse for losses when our accuracy was crap....last time I checked goals won games...

up for debate but threw this together just now.

Gilbo XXXX Dempster

BJ Fisher R.Clarke/simpkin/cripps

- Gwilt back in when fit and drop someone based on form
- Blake/wilkes option off pine depending on matchups
- New (skinny) kosi as an option!!!

- XXXX as I said flavour of the week, is there a problem in chopping and changing this player week to week depending on opposition as we have no designated full back??

hAyES
Club Player

saintboy wrote:Don't know about Gilbert at FB. Hopefully Raph will be up to the challenge this season (especially with Gwilt still out for a while yet). I know he was'nt the greatest player but losing Dawson hurts us alot. But this talk about throwing Simpkin and Cripps straight in come Round 1 sounds a little bit premature/desperate to me considering they have only played a handful of games combined!
I don't see it as desperation, I think it's just going in a new direction. Raph has shown for years he's not up to it, Blake might fill in until Gwilt is ready but we're going to go as far as guys like Simpkin, Cripps, Ledger etc take us. Whether that's top 4 or missing the finals altogether then so be it, we'll be better for it in the long run.

Joffa 5
Club Player

barrel-it wrote: One thing for sure is that if we play a loose man across half back, they will need to be willing to crash the pack running backward and hitting it head on....(who has the balls???????????????????)
The first name that comes to mind is Raph. Countless time he's run backward into packs with no regard for his own safety it seems. He's a courageous player