The 2012 'over reliance on Roo thread'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The 2012 'over reliance on Roo thread'

Yes, it appears the same issue manifested itself in game one of the NAB cup. Mids and defenders without elite kicking skills, attempting to deliver to a captain pretty much every entry, who was again frustrated when the ball went over his head or fell at his feet.

The second game confirmed it, once Roo and Kosi were rested, the focus was gone and the instincts came back into play.

What was significant though, was the other solution that manifested itself.

The likes of say a Siposs in the midfield, or a Winmar/Milera running and creating? What if you could still look for the captain, but have the kicking skills to execute it?

Would defenders really stand a chance with Roo (and Kosi) leading, and guys like Siposs, Goddard, Dal, Joey, Milera, Cripps, Gwilt nailing their passes?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: The 2012 'over reliance on Roo thread'

I dont know the answers on this. But there is something in it. Remember in 2010 we played awesome when Roo was out.
I honestly think it is more mental. Players see Roo lead and just kick to him no matter what. They need to be able to pick the best option not the best person.
Sometimes Roos leads are the best options and sometimes they arent. The mids themselves need to make the right decision. But I think they struggle when they see a 6 '5 blonde captain with Nick Riewodts reputation move - they just follow him.
Hard nut to crack.

GRAMophone
Club Player

I really hope we can sort this out this year. Also see Roo demanding the ball when he's far from clear and in very poor position. Must be hard for the young guys to look elsewhere.Schneider looking inboard for Kosi in game 1 was a refreshing forward entry.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GRAMophone wrote:I really hope we can sort this out this year. Also see Roo demanding the ball when he's far from clear and in very poor position. Must be hard for the young guys to look elsewhere.Schneider looking inboard for Kosi in game 1 was a refreshing forward entry.
I hate it when he leads to the boundary - has 3 blokes on his hammer and they punch it out of bounds when there is a big hole opening up in the middle 30m from goal for someone to run into and they just go for roo.

skfc17
Club Player

id like to see him run straight up the middle and run through blokes in his way

Carn the mighty Sainters
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Play REiwoldt CHB?

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Play REiwoldt CHB?

Why though? He is a gun forward and he needs to play forward.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Play REiwoldt CHB?
Where's the face-palm emoticon?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

break double teaming.
field kicking better than shots on goal.
allow blokes going forward to pick best option rather than over relianco on no 12

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:break double teaming.
field kicking better than shots on goal.
allow blokes going forward to pick best option rather than over relianco on no 12

So we are trying to hide our best forward. Maybe we just learn to use him better. He actually has won 5 B&F playing as a forward. Not sure he would even know what he is doing at CHB.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

not sure he knew what to do at CHF last year.
confidence may return after a few games in a different position.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:not sure he knew what to do at CHF last year.
confidence may return after a few games in a different position.

Thankfully it wont happen. He has known what to do for 10 years and I am sure he can remember.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skfc17 wrote:id like to see him run straight up the middle and run through blokes in his way
He was suspended last year for something similar…

GRAMophone
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
GRAMophone wrote:I really hope we can sort this out this year. Also see Roo demanding the ball when he's far from clear and in very poor position. Must be hard for the young guys to look elsewhere.Schneider looking inboard for Kosi in game 1 was a refreshing forward entry.
I hate it when he leads to the boundary - has 3 blokes on his hammer and they punch it out of bounds when there is a big hole opening up in the middle 30m from goal for someone to run into and they just go for roo.

Yes it unfolds like a train wreck sometimes Con. If Roo survives being gang tackled by those 3 blokes and manages to take the mark - the chances of him nailing the shot from deep in the pocket are pretty low. Love the Roo but.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

listened to snippetts from two commentators today;
one said get him into the goal square and tell him to stay there.
the other said let him have his way BUt direct the players up field to kick it to Kosi or Rhyss or who ever else is in the forward line to redirect opposition attention.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Whack him at ff and instruct everyone to have a ping at goal over his head if they can make the distance.

GRAMophone
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:Whack him at ff and instruct everyone to have a ping at goal over his head if they can make the distance.
Mmmmm...thinking laterally (or vertically) - I like that :D

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
THis...even if he beats 3 blokes and takes a great contested mark...all that work for a shot at goal 40m out hard against the bounday

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

GRAMophone wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Yes it unfolds like a train wreck sometimes Con. If Roo survives being gang tackled by those 3 blokes and manages to take the mark - the chances of him nailing the shot from deep in the pocket are pretty low. Love the Roo but.
Yep this is how it usually goes....

How long has this been a problem??? - to long

We need to be flexible and unpredictable, that means players (mids) have to make a decision to take responsibility and take the shot at times and at others look for other fwd options. Riewoldt must surely see that IF we can put some doubt in the minds of those 2-3 blokes trailing him around.....he just might end up with a greater number of 1 on 1's......which Id back him in to win on many occasions.

We've played dumb footy with this for way to long. Time to get real smart and throw a cat among opposition pidgeons.

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Or have the players equipped to deliver the ball well, something else we've not had that much of a focus on.

GRAMophone
Club Player

I think we can be sure that the new footy brains at the club will be working on making our forward entries more effective. Not that surprising, I guess, that some resorted to bombing it long somewhere in the vicinity of Roo in the first formal game of the season. Fingers crossed that some smarter strategies will be revealed in the near future.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

a lot of it is about ball use, I remember for Roos only goal on Friday it was very simple but effective play

Goddard had the kick in, kicked it to Schneider on our defensive fifty who kicked in straight down the middle to Milney who kicked it to Roo

That's coast to coast in about 20 seconds, Roo was one on one and took the mark comfortably

DWOODROW
Club Player

They kick it to him because if they don't they get the Roo look.

It's quite funny really. Next time you see him overlooked watch Roo's face. You can almost see what he is thinking. Makes me laugh but if you are his team mates and him being your captain you would pass it too him more than not.

He is a great player but he isn't a friggin robot who can do it all so going to the best available option should be the done thing right. :shock:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:They kick it to him because if they don't they get the Roo look.

It's quite funny really. Next time you see him overlooked watch Roo's face. You can almost see what he is thinking. Makes me laugh but if you are his team mates and him being your captain you would pass it too him more than not.

He is a great player but he isn't a friggin robot who can do it all so going to the best available option should be the done thing right. :shock:
Thats interesting but surely IF Watters and co are instructing players to hit up other options......the players will do so right?

I mean a "Roo look" might make you uncomfortable......but being dropped to the 2's cause u arent doing what the coach wants has gotta hurt more?

Also, as said earlier...SURELY Riewoldt knows IF we become unpredictable....his job and opportunities in terms of quality delivery improve.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If that is the case Roo should be told in no uncertain terms to get over himself. Its not the Nick Riewoldt hero society.
Its the St kilda football team.

We go to him way too much and it hurts the team.
he should really stop the "Roo look" and worry about the total score.