IntraClub Game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Foz
Club Player

IntraClub Game

There are many reasons why this hitout dosent count for much - the ground under water, pouring rain during the match, 10 minute quarters, coaches barking inside the centre square, the threat of a plane landing!

Nevertheless here are some observations;

Terry Milera - this guy got a fair bit of it, theres not a lot of him but he can find the footy. His skills are fairly decent and I'd love to see him let down on a fast track. I watched him go 1-on-1 with BJ for the loose ball, his only knock is his intensity at the footy may need to go up a peg. But as far as attracting the footy, I thought he stood out. Kicked the first goal of the game. He needs a new nickname "Terry" wont cut it!

Cuz Winmar - played back and looked to get the gig on Milney. I thought he looked an important player due to that damaging kick of his. The backline is devoid of good kicking penetration, but Winmar down back can help there. Got the height, got the speed, just needs a bit more weight and belief. He has come a fair way from some of the Sandy footy i saw him play.

Jack Steven - played in the middle and has really stepped it up, looks a real lock to start in the middle Round 1. moved freely, kicking with a wet ball was ordinary but endurance wise looks a much better player.

Tom Simpkin - I think we need to see Tommy one out on a dry ground to really know what he will bring. But he has a strong commitment at the footy and did okay tonight. There was one passage where he was going for a delivered ball against Benny Mac. He got infront and threw himself at the ball (and water) to smother the ball and win possession. Coaches will love his desire/coachability.

Milney - looked the only real dangerous forward, typical Milney game.

Benny Mac - was up against Neil and did great work around the ground. Swapped sides with 2 quarters to go and ended up a Murray Bushranger again.

Sam Fisher - pretty much controlled the game across half back. Had a quarter against Roo on the wing.

Crippa - played back and likes to take the game on, something not on tonight! Had a spot on the wing. He likes the Harry O'brien set play where a teammate shepherds and Crippa runs around the opponent in heavy traffic. A bit like a Jason Gram. Obviously a very creative type and a spot on the wing would allow this.

Sippa - I watched him closely - does a few nice things but just dosent seem a real part of it just yet. Maybe its the intensity off the ball, maybe his size (needs another season of weights from the looks of it in the rooms afterwards) I doubt he will be a round 1 team member. I hope he can build during the year, i feel he will be a player, its just dosent present at the moment.

It was a nice touch for the players to go around the ground and thank the crowd for staying out in the rain. Tommy Ledger was so genuine about it, almost apologetic. I certainly got a feel then and in the rooms later that its a real community focus, nothing is too much trouble. It was a real positive to even play when they could have gone back to Melbourne.

A player mentioned that Scott Watters was pretty relaxed but just starting to get some intensity with games coming up. Seems like he has upped the mood a bit. Was very settled in the rooms afterwards, just like what you see in the media conferences.

Anyway thats about it - oh and it was wet ! Very wet. And for all the supporters that sat through those conditions and then hear that Essendon gets a draw, errr thats not right!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: IntraClub Game

Terrific stuff foz.

Thanks heaps :)

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Thanks for the report, great stuff!

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
supersaints
Club Player

Terry " mozzie " malaria ? Close enough I reckon! 

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Good work Foz. You are a trojan for sticking it out in that weather. Thanks

philtee
Club Player

Thanks Foz. Take Sunday off.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Fos, if Blakey was in the ruck, what did they do with Stanley?

southernsaint
Club Player

Thanks heaps. Great report

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

great report, thanks!

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Fos, if Blakey was in the ruck, what did they do with Stanley?
he also had ruck time
and he and Big ben swapped jumper for last 2 X 10 min sessions, and rather than the inital 3 X 20 min sessions they wer going to do
they did 4 of 2 x 10 min. so 80 min in total-- then a run around the boundary during which Tom ledger was heard to say sorry for the muck up- NOT YOUR FAULT TOM- but good thoughts.

Loved how they used the 29th man- he came off part way through third session and swapped jumpers to the other side,

they did manage to have interchanges even though there were only 14 a side

and the coaching witches hats worked well as diversions around the field

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Foz wrote:
Tom Simpkin - I think we need to see Tommy one out on a dry ground to really know what he will bring. But he has a strong commitment at the footy and did okay tonight. There was one passage where he was going for a delivered ball against Benny Mac. He got infront and threw himself at the ball (and water) to smother the ball and win possession. Coaches will love his desire/coachability.

Sippa - I watched him closely - does a few nice things but just dosent seem a real part of it just yet. Maybe its the intensity off the ball, maybe his size (needs another season of weights from the looks of it in the rooms afterwards) I doubt he will be a round 1 team member. I hope he can build during the year, i feel he will be a player, its just dosent present at the moment.
Yeah we need to see Simpkin against one or two legitimate forwards before we can really judge where he is at. Against Geelong he was impressive, but his opponents were weak.

Siposs did a "few nice things" against Geelong also. I liked the way he was used against the Cats up the field - utilizing his long kicking to get over zones and into the forward 50. Perhaps he's just taking a while to adjust to the new coaches' demands.

damienc
Club Player

Hi,

I know it is very early days but can you see real improvement in the team compared to last year or do we have to wait until the real competition starts before that assessment can be made?

Foz
Club Player

I'd suggest the real season. Any club can look at its personnel as experienced, middle group and emerging talent.

I have no doubt that there will be emerging talent - Ledger stands out as a midfielder to play plenty of games, as does Cripps if he stays sound. There is also a need brought on by necessity for Simpkin to stand up and play many games. Winmar and Sipposs will be thereabouts in the team. So depth wise there is an improvement. Its also an improvement in kicking skills and speed across the park. Anything from Seb Ross, Jack Newnes etc is a bonus on that front.

Our players in the system for a few years could advance. Jack Steven looks the main one to kick on and get more midfield time. Armo may also be played more in the middle and be improved with some more speed in his game. Benny Mac looks the goods but has a lot of pressure with a lack of recognised ruck support.

Experienced group is somewhat the query. Roo seems to be played in different positions so the focus will be on whether he can dominate games again, regardless of where he plays. Can BJ return to 2010 form with contract talk hanging over him? Can Lenny make a difference early in the season or will the knee take time? Can Milney continue to be the best small forward at 32? Can a wildcard like a Jason Gram return to form under a new coach? Theres plenty of unanswered questions that IMO, only time will tell the true story.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin is obviously replacing Dawson, but, If we have Ledger, Cripps, Milera, and Sipposs added to the team, who will be pushed aside for them?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Simpkin is obviously replacing Dawson, but, If we have Ledger, Cripps, Milera, and Sipposs added to the team, who will be pushed aside for them?
The likes of peake, polo, ray, and possibly dempster.

Sainter for life.
Kate
Club Player

Did the AFL's umpires officiate the intra club?

If so they deserve a rare pat on the back too.

Big thumbs down for the Bombers though. If they wanted to fly that's fine, but it should have been the day before. Easiest 2 points a club ever had gifted. Pull your socks up AFL.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Kate wrote:Did the AFL's umpires officiate the intra club?

If so they deserve a rare pat on the back too.

yes they did.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thanks for the report Foz

:shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Jack seems to be a really good wet weather player

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

MCG-Unit wrote:Thanks for the report Foz

The Swans would have been a better placed opponent than the Bombers in those conditions.

Took me back to a few games at Moorabbin & Waverley

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

ozrulestrace wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Thanks for the report Foz

The Swans would have been a better placed opponent than the Bombers in those conditions.

Took me back to a few games at Moorabbin & Waverley
Yep and these conditions were forecast earlier in the week - yet the AFL stated they had no contingency plans :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Scott spoke to MMM during the game..
http://austereo.castmetrix.net/download ... nabcup.mp3

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
gringo
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Terry " mozzie " malaria ? Close enough I reckon! 

He seemed to get that from us on here but his real NN is Sweety.

defacto
Club Player

gringo wrote:
supersaints wrote:Terry " mozzie " malaria ? Close enough I reckon! 

He seemed to get that from us on here but his real NN is Sweety.
why sweety?

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Foz wrote:
I have no doubt that there will be emerging talent - Ledger stands out as a midfielder to play plenty of games, as does Cripps if he stays sound. There is also a need brought on by necessity for Simpkin to stand up and play many games. Winmar and Sipposs will be thereabouts in the team. So depth wise there is an improvement. Its also an improvement in kicking skills and speed across the park. Anything from Seb Ross, Jack Newnes etc is a bonus on that front.
I'd say Siposs has much higher chances of getting a significant run this year compared to Winmar, at this point in time.

Too early to make a call on these youngsters already making an improvement to the side. In theory the team should be able to play at a higher pace, and hopefully create more (and better) scoring opportunities with Cripps and Ledger. But we're talking about Cripps who has played 4 games, and Ledger 2 games - can't be expecting too much too soon. Let's see how they go against some impressive Eagles youngsters next week.

Higher expectations should be placed on Stevens, Armitage and McEvoy. Armitage especially - it's this year or never for him.