Montagna

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Montagna

I love Joey but is he serious trad bait for the 2012 draft? If we trade Joey and lets say gram or ray to S for their first round pick plus keep ur we get two more gun kids we are well on the way to another strong list??

It just seems Joey hasnt stepped into the elite category of goddard, dal and fisher and he has currency with other clubs.
Before people get EMOTIONAL about this just think about it and have an intelligent discussion>

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Montagna

He needs to pull his fat finger out

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:I love Joey but is he serious trad bait for the 2012 draft? If we trade Joey and lets say gram or ray to S for their first round pick plus keep ur we get two more gun kids we are well on the way to another strong list??

It just seems Joey hasnt stepped into the elite category of goddard, dal and fisher and he has currency with other clubs.
Before people get EMOTIONAL about this just think about it and have an intelligent discussion>
they wouldnt want ray and/or gram so forget that part of your argument.

and for me joey, bj and nds are all trade bait
none of them will be here for our next successful period and crack at the title (we should look towards 2018-2020) - so if somone offered them a 3 year deal and us a top 10 pick we should accept the deal and move on.
they will always be saints champs even if they left.

andrewg
Club Player

yep but you still have to sell memberships and I dont think you can afford a st.kilda team without NDS or Goddard. They are our 'big name' players and lets face it you dont want a situation like ,elbourne where they are practically leaerless for the young kids. I think Joey is a good option coupled with gram if it means the differene between pick 15 and pick 9. They will take Gram he has some currence for a building list but will def be keen for Montagna, GWS might even make him captain and remember he is out multicultral rep:)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Montagna is a very good player who has been highly influential in St Kilda being a top team for the past 7 years. He deserves more respect than this. He is as important as Goddard, Dal Santo, and Hayes.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

He is as important as Goddard, Dal Santo and Hayes and he still needs to pull his fat finger out

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He had a s*** night and stuffed up my dream team bloody useless captain. Trade him for getting no DT points stuff respect. seriously though he is underrated and is not as high currency but as valuable as others. Realistically Goddard and NDS are our only real trade bait for first rounds. I don't think we need first rounders necessarily as the super draft is super because it runs very deep not just 10 excellent players. I back our recruiting team to pull out some gems from anywhere, so imagine an uncompromised draft that runs deep.

StNoodles
Club Player

Don't forget he was up against Kane Cornes, who is still a avery effective stopper. Had Cornes gone to Dal, this thread would probably have a different title.

Superstar
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
andrewg wrote:I love Joey but is he serious trad bait for the 2012 draft? If we trade Joey and lets say gram or ray to S for their first round pick plus keep ur we get two more gun kids we are well on the way to another strong list??

none of them will be here for our next successful period and crack at the title (we should look towards 2018-2020) - so if somone offered them a 3 year deal and us a top 10 pick we should accept the deal and move on.
Problem is because of their age and the strength of the upcoming draft, don't think we'd get a top ten pick. The teams that will want these guys won't have the early picks, better off if they go to GWS, might even get two first rounders (at least for BJ). The league to youth obsessed for teams to trade top ten picks these days.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Probably look at a high draft pick and a young key tall who was a high draft pick for either of the 3 players.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He had a s*** night and stuffed up my dream team bloody useless captain. Trade him for getting no DT points stuff respect. seriously though he is underrated and is not as high currency but as valuable as others. Realistically Goddard and NDS are our only real trade bait for first rounds. I don't think we need first rounders necessarily as the super draft is super because it runs very deep not just 10 excellent players. I back our recruiting team to pull out some gems from anywhere, so imagine an uncompromised draft that runs deep.

Lol at u making him captain! Awful choice.

Richter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: and for me joey, bj and nds are all trade bait
Disagree Con. There is a reason that clubs like Richmond and Melbourne are having extended periods of bottoming out. It's to do with culture. Culture is created by a strong senior group who are prepared to stick together and pull their fingers out on the park and put in the effort required. Whilst we lost yesterday the blokes we put out gave it a red hot crack.... compare that with Melbourne on Saturday.

Retaining culture is why you want to keep hold of your ageing stars... to help to teach the new brigade what that spirit of mateship means.

Of course it is not possible to keep everyone.... from the 2000-1 cohort a few have been lost along the way... and it is possible that one or two more will go (my guess Gram and Goddard - and I would not be surprised to see Roo hang up his boots at the end of next year) but IMO it is important NOT to have a total clearout.

We want to be like clubs like Sydney, West Coast and Collingwood over the last decade who had one or two years of bottoming out before coming back in to finals contention again. IMO the reason they were able to do it is to do with 'culture'.

With a new training facility, a terrific development program and ageing stalwarts like Joey, Dal, Sam Fisher, BJ, Kosi and Roo we have a chance - as long as we don't lose too many of them - of retaining this culture and passing it quickly on to this new generation.

The soonest we could challenge again IMO is 2013. By that time I would hope that 4/6 of the above will still be with the club and that the young group of up and coming players will be 40-50 game players - eg the likes of Ledger, Milera, Simpkin, Saad, Ross etc.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Copped a tag, it's a compliment in a way, but will need to work harder....perhaps Lenny as he gets older will be let go a little, and guys like Joey will find themselves copping some more attention.

nw7
Club Player

I still think Montagna is a very good player, we need a creative player with good skills running off half back like Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton have, i would love to see Monty fill that role. Maybe that will allow Goddard to run through the midfield and forward a bit more.

spert
Saintsational Legend

One of our big problems we have had for a while and it showed up again vs PA, is the lack of genuine middlle size, hard-ball get players. Lenny is the only head over the ball gut-runner we have, and after that there's a gap. Montagna is the kind of player who puts the icing on the cake, but if there's no one doing the gut work, he tends to struggle.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

spert wrote:One of our big problems we have had for a while and it showed up again vs PA, is the lack of genuine middlle size, hard-ball get players. Lenny is the only head over the ball gut-runner we have, and after that there's a gap. Montagna is the kind of player who puts the icing on the cake, but if there's no one doing the gut work, he tends to struggle.
Geez, Maybe we should have drafted a player like Luke Ball when we had the chance....

OH WAIT!!!! :cry:

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Generally on here we tend to overrate our own players, but for some reason we underrate a couple of guys and montagna is definitely one...

You don't get back-to-back AA without being elite...

Pretty ordinary game on Sunday by his standards, but as mentioned above took the #1 tagged in cornes.

He may leave to free agency without being traded as I'm sure there are plenty of other clubs who rate him highly and will offer big money.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:One of our big problems we have had for a while and it showed up again vs PA, is the lack of genuine middlle size, hard-ball get players. Lenny is the only head over the ball gut-runner we have, and after that there's a gap. Montagna is the kind of player who puts the icing on the cake, but if there's no one doing the gut work, he tends to struggle.
Another myth... Hayes & montagna had the same amount of clearances and contested possessions. Contrary to popular believe montagna (& dal) has rivaled Lenny for contested ball for years. Unfortunately neither of them did enough on Sunday, roden had 7 clearances in about a quarter, our best was dal with 5.