The future!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kos
Club Player

The future!!

Time for change! Future starts this week
We are heading in the right direction off the field now it's time to change on field.

In: simpkin, saad, dunell (if we can upgrade him), Wilkes, ledger (if fit)
Out: peake, polo, ray, armo, Blake

It's not wholesale but it could be enough to renew excitement in the team because it was really lacking on the weekend.
I understand it's only r1 but we know what we are going to get with peake, polo and alike and it's not enough.
I rather lose a footy match giving these kids a run, than seeing peake and co half heartedly compete for the club!

R2 them

B: Geary, simpkin, Gilbert
Hb: dempster, fisher, cripps
C: montagna, Hayes, Goddard
Hf, milera, riewoldt, Stanley
F: Milne, koschitzke, saad
Foll: McEvoy, dalsanto, Steven
Int: ledger,, dunell, Wilkes, jones

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The future!!

If we had that side in we could easily lose to the GC. yes I know a couple you dropped idnt do a lot but you just cant have that many young bodies in the one side. The last thing the club needs is to lose to the GC. I would think Simpkin and Ledger may come in for Ray and maybe Blake but he would be very unlucky as I thought he was one of the better players yesterday. Polo could be in trouble but there isnt really anyone to replace him.

kos
Club Player

I thought about playing too much youth at once but 4 of those chosen are mature aged with senior experience!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:I thought about playing too much youth at once but 4 of those chosen are mature aged with senior experience!
saad has "senior experience" in the vfl. but in fact that's just reserves experience compared to afl level. or else you can make the argument that now markworth has senior experience because he played his first vfl game on sunday.

dunell has vafa experience, which is a few levels below vfl.

simpkin and ledger have two afl games each, which is a pretty low bar for "senior experience".

wilkes has played twenty-odd so i'm happy to count him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If we had that side in we could easily lose to the GC. yes I know a couple you dropped idnt do a lot but you just cant have that many young bodies in the one side. The last thing the club needs is to lose to the GC. I would think Simpkin and Ledger may come in for Ray and maybe Blake but he would be very unlucky as I thought he was one of the better players yesterday. Polo could be in trouble but there isnt really anyone to replace him.

none of those are young bodies.
just come out and say it plugger. you love old hacks.

kos
Club Player

It may well be only vfl standard but the point is, they have a more mature body being 20-24 year old range.
It seems good enough for other clubs take the sink or swim approach maybe we should see who can swim , cause we all can see peake and polo drowning at the bottom of the pool every week!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:It may well be only vfl standard but the point is, they have a more mature body being 20-24 year old range.
It seems good enough for other clubs take the sink or swim approach maybe we should see who can swim , cause we all can see peake and polo drowning at the bottom of the pool every week!

What other clubs would have 7 players with less than 10 games experience and win? It is at least 2 to many I would think.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

kos wrote:It seems good enough for other clubs take the sink or swim approach...
richmond, melbourne, north? not to mention gcs and gws? not a heap of games won in the last few years amongst those teams, despite playing a shedload of kids.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The short term future is very bleak for the Saints - Mr LYON has left us with a blotted history and all sorts of trouble going forward.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:The short term future is very bleak for the Saints - Mr LYON has left us with a blotted history and all sorts of trouble going forward.

Can you tell me apart from the Lovett pick what picks we gave away that would have probably got us some good players. he also got Dempster and Schneider wo are now both 2 of our better players. We are struggling because the draft and salary cap does that and also 3 years of very poor drafting leaving us with a huge gap in 20 to 22 year olds.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

that team is absurd.
we are already the laughing stock of the world for losing to port, lets not make things worse.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
kos
Club Player

We have to start playing kids eventually, are uguys happy going down the same path playing the same players pushing
The development of the youth further back?

Buckets
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:The short term future is very bleak for the Saints - Mr LYON has left us with a blotted history and all sorts of trouble going forward.

Can you tell me apart from the Lovett pick what picks we gave away that would have probably got us some good players. he also got Dempster and Schneider wo are now both 2 of our better players. We are struggling because the draft and salary cap does that and also 3 years of very poor drafting leaving us with a huge gap in 20 to 22 year olds.

It's not just about the draft picks made under Lyon it is also his unwillingness until last year to try any of these kids to see if they had what it takes. You look at teams like the hawks cats and pies who all blooded new players even when vying for a flag. This is where I see Lyons biggest weakness. And it is because of this that we have the greates number of players under 25 with the least amount of experience out of the established clubs.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's not just about the draft picks made under Lyon it is also his unwillingness until last year to try any of these kids to see if they had what it takes. You look at teams like the hawks cats and pies who all blooded new players even when vying for a flag. This is where I see Lyons biggest weakness. And it is because of this that we have the greates number of players under 25 with the least amount of experience out of the established clubs.

That part is true but lets face it if guys really deserved a game they would have got it. People use Armo as an example but lets face it he has many limitations. I am sure RL could see that.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Don't disagree with you there but how many players did Lyon draft and then delist without even trying them?

Armo has his limitations and so do a lot of players. It would be interesting to see how many games Lyon put into the guys he picked up from other clubs against those he drafted at 18 or the mature aged recruits. This is where I see the flaw in the coach that was Lyon. He didn't have an eye to the future at all and right now that is going to hurt us this year as we finally blood these players.

Middo
Club Player

kos wrote:It may well be only vfl standard but the point is, they have a more mature body being 20-24 year old range.

Agree , Milera certainly didn't look out of place !!

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
kos
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:that team is absurd.
we are already the laughing stock of the world for losing to port, lets not make things worse.
How is my team absurd playing reject hacks who continually fail is a complete embarrassment to the club and the players who continually deliver for it. I'd rather have a first gamer than peake don the jumper ever again!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Look, with the benefit of hindsight we have made some woeful decisions, the loss of ball being the worst.

Clubs that DON'T stuff up at draft time win flags!!!

Clubs that DON'T give away club captains and champions, win flags.

Our future is bright as long as we KNOW how to use the free agency system.

Have we got the RIGHT people in charge??? I am not talking about Watters, and not talking about Pelchin

I worry about Nettlefold as I beleive he really is not up to the position he is employed for.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Nettlefold is not in any way responsible for who we do or do not draft or re-sign. To think otherwise it's to over rate the position of CEO.

spert
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:Look, with the benefit of hindsight we have made some woeful decisions, the loss of ball being the worst.

Clubs that DON'T stuff up at draft time win flags!!!

Clubs that DON'T give away club captains and champions, win flags.

Our future is bright as long as we KNOW how to use the free agency system.

Have we got the RIGHT people in charge??? I am not talking about Watters, and not talking about Pelchin

I worry about Nettlefold as I beleive he really is not up to the position he is employed for.
I guess its Nettlefold's fault that a few of our players didn't want to win the hard ball against PA?

SMS
Club Player

I agree time
To rebuild andnthe sooner the better! This yets draft is supposed to be inbelievable so finiahing bottom
Not the qorst thing just playbthe kids instead of those mentioned and lets go!!

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Why do you reckon he bailed......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

kos wrote:
How is my team absurd playing reject hacks who continually fail is a complete embarrassment to the club and the players who continually deliver for it. I'd rather have a first gamer than peake don the jumper ever again!
Hi Kos, I think what really narks Dools about your team is that you gave so many the boot, but still kept a place for his ol' punchingbag Kosi.

I'm right, aren't I Dools? :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
nobhead
Club Player

dont understand how you can say that team is absurd . still has plenty of experience in it . with mature bodies in it and we are playing gold coast not hawks or pies . you have to give these guys a game sooner or later . keeping these guys in the vfl is not going to help them and as stated before guys like peake,ray , polo are never going to be good enough as they have proven time and time again .

linz
Club Player

kos wrote:Time for change! Future starts this week
We are heading in the right direction off the field now it's time to change on field.

Out: peake, polo, ray, armo, Blake

It's not wholesale but it could be enough to renew excitement in the team because it was really lacking on the weekend.
I understand it's only r1 but we know what we are going to get with peake, polo and alike and it's not enough.
I rather lose a footy match giving these kids a run, than seeing peake and co half heartedly compete for the club!

R2 them

B: Geary, simpkin, Gilbert
Hb: dempster, fisher, cripps
C: montagna, Hayes, Goddard
Hf, milera, riewoldt, Stanley
F: Milne, koschitzke, saad
Foll: McEvoy, dalsanto, Steven
Int: ledger,, dunell, Wilkes, jones
I think it looks OK. Maybe a bit ambitious. I'd leave in Peake and Armo and bring in ledger and Saad and drop Polo and Blake almost for good. But I'm no expert
and I'm sure Watters and co. will be burning the midnight oil. Depends on matchups etc etc. it's their job; give them some slack before the sack.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.